Returning Mercenary: Quick Question Regarding Companions

Hey all,

It's been many, many months since I've played SWTOR.

I plan on leveling my mercenary to the new cap. I will be using a heal spec.

So, what is the most efficient/quickest way to re-gear a DPS companion so that I can finish my story off?

Your input is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joanajett

I assume you'll only be doing story quests with the 12x XP?

If so, most of the quests will give you some decent companion leveling gear to use. You get a selection of pieces that you can choose from to get the right piece for the companion of your choice.

Also, it's worth it to add that the storyline quests now award 8 Basic Comms each! If you are really having problems with poor companion gear, take a trip to fleet and pimp out your companion and yourself with the highest level mods you can find!

Cheers!

If you don't have HK then Torian is your best dps companion. If you are starting from the beginning I would generally suggest not leveling as a healer, it's not like a Sorc/Sage or Op/Scoundrel who has a starting companion well suited to healer leveling.

You don't get Torian until Taris, and you don't get a tanking companion until Hoth (Blizz)

If you really want to Merc heal while leveling I would get field respec and just respec to heals for Heroic 4s and FPs.

Gearing with the 12xXP is a bit tougher, many of your companion pieces come from the side missions. If you have the comms to spare I would put your companion of choice in oranges and just upgrade the mods every 4-6 levels.

Edited by mrvwbug

If you don't have HK then Torian is your best dps companion. If you are starting from the beginning I would generally suggest not leveling as a healer, it's not like a Sorc/Sage or Op/Scoundrel who has a starting companion well suited to healer leveling.

You don't get Torian until Taris, and you don't get a tanking companion until Hoth (Blizz)

If you really want to Merc heal while leveling I would get field respec and just respec to heals for Heroic 4s and FPs.

Gearing with the 12xXP is a bit tougher, many of your companion pieces come from the side missions. If you have the comms to spare I would put your companion of choice in oranges and just upgrade the mods every 4-6 levels.

I got to agree with bug. Leveling as a healer is slow going. But if you absolutely want to go this route, I might suggest going with HK-51. It was my companion of choice when I was doing healing on my Merc and Operative.

Also please note that things have changed since 3.0 came out. As soon as you login you need to hit a class trainer. Unless I missed it you didn't mention which level your character was (50 or 55). If you ahve level 50 PVP gear, get rid of it. It will only hurt you in PVP due to a bump in expertise requirement.

Also, when you reach Rishi, you will get 300 basic comms. If all your companions are in modified gear, this should be enough to get you well covered. And finally, when you do hit 60 do the weeklies at Yavin 4. One weekly will give you a full set of 192 gear for a companion of choice (non-modifiable). The other weekly will get you a mainhand for a companion of your choice (also 192). The gear you get for your toon at Yavin is 186 and the gear you get for the latest planet is 190. So by doing Yavin, your companion will actually be better geared than you will be.