The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech PvP

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a guide out for PvP with a powertech? I really want to go with AP, I heard it was a good discipline to work with, yet i'm not sure which utilities to use the spec, any suggestions?

Not sure if there are any formal guides around, but I can try to offer you some basic, ground level advice: Bracer Propellant, Iron Will, Suppressive Tools, Torque Boosters, and Overdrive are your common sense utilities. As you're new, you won't be in ranked (at least I hope not), and your left over utilities should be chosen based on preference.

There's a lot of nice toys in there for different situations. Shorter cooldown and longer range grapple might win a game of Huttball for you, while being able to use Kolto Overload while stunned might save your life so you can prevent a node cap.

The theme of advanced prototype is burst. You want to to take off a gigantic chunk of an enemy's HP and surprise them into panicking. Keep in mind that powertechs are a kiting class. Don't ever choose to sit still and always be on the move if you can. Avoiding damage by staying out of close melee range is a big part of what will keep you alive because DPS powertechs are quite squishy.

The most best advice I can give you is the most common advice that I give out to newbies. "Learn your class" is the most half-arsed suggestion you will get from other players. The truth is that to do well in PVP, you need to know ALL classes. If you don't know that force shroud is going to negate the damage from your thermal detonator, a lot of other players are going to have fun at your expense. If you don't know that vengeance players can't be stunned after they leap on you, a lot of players are going to have fun at your expense. Etc, etc. You need to know exactly what you're up against at all time in order to make proper judgment calls.