GSF: problems/suggestions

Mournblood

GSF isnt legacy because rep and imp ships are very different ny upgrate parts and abilities

It could have easily been made legacy, with a set of imp ships and a set of pub ships, you use the set of the toon you're on.

When I play on my fully geared main, with guildies, it is outright crushing to the newbies... I've had matches that were 50 to 5 in death match...

When I play on my brand new toons, it is often the other way around.

I'm talking with a friend of mine who writes game reviews for a magazine about writing an article on big game studios who lose their creative integrity after selling out to conglomerates like EA, at which point their focus shifts to their stock holders and away from the players. While I do believe Bioware has the best intentions for their players in mind, the relevance here is that they seem to be suffering under the yoke of their new master in this regard, and we see many examples of that in this game.

If we really want to be honest about the reason why they haven't touched GSF in over a year or more since its release, it's because they don't see any return on their investment. The development cost to address the issues in GSF, in their estimation, would not be money well spent. They've decided instead to allocate their development resources on other areas of the game that will likely attract new players and retain the current ones, which in of itself is good business, but we all too often see the casualties of that approach along the way, as is the case with GSF. Of course, you'll never hear Bioware openly admit that.

Personally, I think the little things do matter. While GSF is a small facet of the overall game, a lot of little things add up to make the whole game a better experience. As I continue discussions with my friend about this topic, who also happens to play SWTOR and who shares my opinions about the woeful state of GSF, I'll be sure to post a link to his article if it gets published.

Edited by Mournblood

I'm talking with a friend of mine who writes game reviews for a magazine about writing an article on big game studios who lose their creative integrity after selling out to conglomerates like EA, at which point their focus shifts to their stock holders and away from the players.

Good luck with that, no major game magazine wants to piss off EA...

While I do believe Bioware has the best intentions for their players in mind, the relevance here is that they seem to be suffering under the yoke of their new master in this regard, and we see many examples of that in this game.

"New" Master? EA has owned Bioware since 2007, 4 years before SWTOR was launched...

That is 8 years ago, the Bioware you "remember" no longer exists and hasn't for many years now. The founders are all gone, it is a new crew.

"Bioware" is just a brand now, nothing more or less.

<snip> but I have yet to hear a single suggestion from any of them on how to make GSF more fun and fair for new players in stock ships they are owning with ease.<snip>

BS, and I really mean that... unless you haven't checked out the GSF forums, where vets are constantly debating ways to improve GSF to which I would say something worse.

Good luck with that, no major game magazine wants to piss off EA...

He doesn't work for Game Informer.

Also, I realize that Bioware became a subsidiary of EA years ago, but the changes didn't happen overnight.

BS, and I really mean that... unless you haven't checked out the GSF forums, where vets are constantly debating ways to improve GSF to which I would say something worse.

I've been on the GSF forum recently. While some of the veteran players are genuinely concerned with the state of GSF and do try to help new players with guides and tutorials, that doesn't change the fact that GSF has some fundamental balance issues that only Bioware can address. Regardless, the GSF forum is not a suggestion forum. I am fairly certain that Bioware doesn't read anything there unless someone is reporting a post. On this forum, the actual Suggestion Box, I haven't seen a single suggestion posted from any of the players who frequent the GSF forum, and I searched quite a ways back. I suspect, based on some of the feedback from this thread, that many of them simply have given up on the idea that Bioware will revisit GSF. I think they're right to think that, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep the topic alive in the hopes that Bioware will eventually hear us. And to my earlier point, the GSF community over there could add their voices here where they are more likely to be heard.

• 2 years later...
I realize this is an old thread, but I just want to throw in my suggestion...maybe make Gunships's ranges deteriorate during gameplay as more Gunships enter the fray. Maybe then teams won't use 8 Gunships at the same time and obliterate everyone...just not fun, and I really want to love GSF...