The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Black armored Stormtrooper, the new Boba/Jango?

Wolfninjajedi

another thing to consider, the new movies are ~30 ABY. when one looks at the empire in the EU in 30 ABY they've been forced to diversify. so if the movies give us female stormtroopers....

I'm not seeing the problem. this gives not just with new canon, but with old.

Yeah that is true, just them being emass is what jars me...them being a rarity, I'm alright with. So we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRm4-AYuiI

I am calling it now, Leia and Cpt Phasma meet and Leia is like "Aren't you a little short to be a Stormtrooper?"

And she's like "No" *takes her helmet off* "I'm a woman, and I'm here to kill you."[/color]

Funny, and I get you are making a joke; but Gwendoline Christie is 6'3(1.91m), a little short to be a Stormtrooper seems off as I never got the sense of Stormtroopers being 7 feet tall. Toss in the fact that Carrie Fisher is 5'1"(1.55m) and the joke falls flat...unless it's delivered in an ironic sense.

Funny, and I get you are making a joke; but Gwendoline Christie is 6'3(1.91m), a little short to be a Stormtrooper seems off as I never got the sense of Stormtroopers being 7 feet tall. Toss in the fact that Carrie Fisher is 5'1"(1.55m) and the joke falls flat...unless it's delivered in an ironic sense.
Six foot three?!

It's just...I never really was fond at there being female Stormtroopers. In pretty much every single source, both movie and old EU, Stormtroopers were for the most part all male. Yeah, there were some female Stormtroopers later in the Legacy comics such as the Noob one...but....I dunno, it just never clicked with me with female Stormtroopers because everywhere you looked, it was always male.

In the movies, in the novels, games, comics, so on.

I'm not saying there can't be female Stormtroopers...it's just something I find completely off.

Welcome to the wider American outlook on military and servicewomen which bled into 1970's-80's Star Wars movies? For the prequel trilogy, the argument could be made that the troopers all being clones of Jango Fett was purely to give an inexplicably fan-beloved character a backstory, but it could still be males-as-warriors-women-as-not-warriors bias. There was only one female Jedi in the prequel trilogy after all, and in Ep. III during Order 66 she's also the only one we don't explicitly see die.

If anything I truly hope Stormtroopers in the sequel trilogy will be a more even gender ratio - look at troopers in TOR for either faction. Star Wars has always been about the political allegory; let's see it effect an in-universe change as commentary on real life.

There was only one female Jedi in the prequel trilogy after all, and in Ep. III during Order 66 she's also the only one we don't explicitly see die.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point (I'd probably say Star Wars reflects the prevalent social values more than that it is a contemporary 'political allegory'), I would point out that Shaak Ti, Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee, Adi Gallia, and a couple others would certainly disagree with your claim that Aayla Secura was the only female Jedi in the prequel trilogy.

(It would certainly have been nice if any female Jedi had actually impacted the plot, as opposed to being strictly background characters.)

Edited by DarthDymond

We also see Aayla Secura die pretty explicitly, however I think it would have been difficult considering it was the prequel to the trilogy that had already established the male orientated main cast i.e. Anakin and Kenobi.

Bar Qui-Gon, no other Jedi really has any impact on the plot, and Qui-Gon was very much a Ben Kenobi character.

Regardless they fixed that problem with Ahsoka, and we see a lot of female characters taking a more central stage in TCW, including most of the female Jedi in the Prequels, Duchess Satine, Ventress, Aurra Sing etc. I definitely think the folks at Star Wars are starting to pick up on the trend, so TFA should definitely be interesting in that regard.

Especially considering how well those female characters worked in TCW...

Edited by Beniboybling

We also see Aayla Secura die pretty explicitly, however I think it would have been difficult considering it was the prequel to the trilogy that had already established the male orientated main cast i.e. Anakin and Kenobi.

Bar Qui-Gon, no other Jedi really has any impact on the plot, and Qui-Gon was very much a Ben Kenobi character.

Regardless they fixed that problem with Ahsoka, and we see a lot of female characters taking a more central stage in TCW, including most of the female Jedi in the Prequels, Duchess Satine, Ventress, Aurra Sing etc. I definitely think the folks at Star Wars are starting to pick up on the trend, so TFA should definitely be interesting in that regard.

Especially considering how well those female characters worked in TCW...

There's no doubt that they're aware of the skewed ratio that was around in the previous movies, and yeah, it seems like that trend is going to change in the new movies:

During the big Star Wars: The Force Awakens panel at Star Wars Celebration' date=' moderator Anthony Breznican asked Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy which Star Wars character she would be [...']

“I don’t have many choices,” she said. “But that’s going to change.”

[...]

“Going forward with all we’re talking about there are going to be a lot of wonderful new [female] characters.”

• 2 weeks later...
Ah well, guess it'll be ok. I wonder if there's gonna be more chrome troopers like this one though, did say 1st Order Officer, which seems to suggest that there would be more. Although as I recall, there is a group of them that appears? Just that Phasma is the noted one? Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ah well, guess it'll be ok. I wonder if there's gonna be more chrome troopers like this one though, did say 1st Order Officer, which seems to suggest that there would be more. Although as I recall, there is a group of them that appears? Just that Phasma is the noted one?
Well a Captain in standard militaries is a title shared by lots of people, so probably.

I doubt we'll see any others though, as it would detract from her significance.

Basically she's gonna be a dark side version of Captain Rex. :p

Well a Captain in standard militaries is a title shared by lots of people, so probably.

I doubt we'll see any others though, as it would detract from her significance.

Basically she's gonna be a dark side version of Captain Rex. :p

Well clearly, but there could always be others that appear, just more as background.

Well clearly, but there could always be others that appear, just more as background.
Yeah but even so, I feel there's only enough room for one chrome stomtrooper in this movie. :D

I guess if they didn't have capes it would be OK... but I think it would be more visually impactful to have only one.

Doubtful. Since we don't know post-Disney Imperial ranks and their orders (outside of what little shows up in the original trilogy) it's possible her character is high enough up in the chain that we'd realistically only be dealing with her character.

A Roman Legion, for instance, was over four thousand troops, so if Christie's character is equivalent to a Legatus legionis (Legion commander) we'd likely see only one. The higher the rank, logically the less likely there are to be more than one person of that rank in the film (in the overall Empire is a different story). 1st Order Officer sounds reasonably high up the chain.

Doubtful. Since we don't know post-Disney Imperial ranks and their orders (outside of what little shows up in the original trilogy) it's possible her character is high enough up in the chain that we'd realistically only be dealing with her character.

A Roman Legion, for instance, was over four thousand troops, so if Christie's character is equivalent to a Legatus legionis (Legion commander) we'd likely see only one. The higher the rank, logically the less likely there are to be more than one person of that rank in the film (in the overall Empire is a different story). 1st Order Officer sounds reasonably high up the chain.

Well I mean in the Empire overall, true she could be the only one in appearance if the movie focuses solely on just one aspect of the Empire and not a whole.

I guess I'm thinking more of like a huge type of scene, showcasing a bunch of troops like the OT and PT did with Clones/Stormtroopers, showing officers of multitude and so forth.

But if Phasma is the only one to appear, that's fine. This just makes it more exciting when another one shows up in the new EU and see what they are capable of.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi