Stop the credit spammers at their source (chest opening bots)

Teldark

the credit spammers are obviously getting tons of easy credits to sell by using bots to open treasure chests. why isn't anything ever done to stop them? they are inflating the economy, bothering the fleet with spam and costing you sales of cartel coins.

i have seen many threads about this issue for over a year now and it seems nothing is ever done about it.

and it looks like the problem got a lot worse around 3.0 so i am guessing 3.0 introduced even more treasure chests on high level planets for them to exploit.

EDITED AND ADDED THIS INFO LATER BELOW, SUGGESTED FIXES

"it seems the developers could make simple changes to stop it, like ban those teleporting from chest to chest and put level limits on chests. a level 50 planet should require a level 50 character to open a chest.

someone suggested a cool idea of having all of the chests be locked and let keys to open them drop from daily quests or operations. level 50 keys to open level 50 chests, etc"

Edited by Teldark

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand correctly, they do this buy using some kind of out-of-the-game right click script to loot the same box over and over. And something about the way NPCs target, when they spawn/respawn, wont see you if you dont move.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, I only did a little bit of research on this, and it was hard to find the precise methods used, just some speculation.

But, wouldn't changing NPCs to scan periodically (say, on GCD) prevent that? I dont know how that may affect frame rates, or really even if that would stop them.

Maybe just making it so taking damage stops interacting/looting. I've always found it kind of odd I can interact with like, quest objects while taking damage.

I agree, that preventing the ability to mindlessly farm is more practical than trying to stop the accounts directly, or inhibit their ability to chat/trade. Stop them from making the money without at least actually playing.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I dont know if that is the less labor-intensive option. Be like trying to plug all the leaks, instead of just turning off the water.

I'm really curious what specifically they're doing, and seeing if theres a way to stop that.

any generous, knowledgeable ex-credit farmers care to share? :D

edit: Love the spoiler in your sig! lmao. QFT man... qft.

Edited by EyesOfRed

so... if you know... please share?

Perhaps a simple solution just hasn't been thought of yet. This could be that opportunity.

On BC, I constantly see items that can be purchased directly from the CM posted for very low prices by a succession of characters with gibberish names. I suspect they are using stolen credit card info got from the suckers who foolishly buy their creds. Because these prices are low, low, low. Way lower than a "normal" player would post for, IMO.

Bioware needs to spend like $500 and set up a sting operation against the credit sellers.

Purchase the credits. When the trade is completed, you have the account of the credit seller. Delete it. Spend $500 and get like 100+ accounts deleted. That SHOULD devastate their business.

Done.

(Unless, if you believe like me, and think Bioware is in cahoots with the credit sellers and gets a portion of the sales. In which case, nothing will happen. Like nothing has happened for the last 3+ years).

(Unless, if you believe like me, and think Bioware is in cahoots with the credit sellers and gets a portion of the sales. In which case, nothing will happen. Like nothing has happened for the last 3+ years).

Well, if what branmakmuffin says is accurate, I wouldn't say BioWare is in cahoots with the gold sellers, but they sure profit from their venture all the same. :D

Or maybe we can sue them for false advertising and bankrupt them lol.

They're always talking about "INSTANT DELIVERY". Well I'm sorry, but unless I click the "purchase" button and I alt+tab back to the game and the credits are in my inventory, that's not "INSTANT DELIVERY".

No, it's the gold-buyers that need to be gone after, and excised from our game like the cancer they are. Vicously so, and ideally in the most public and humiliating way possible.

Cure the disease, not the symptoms.

This. Stopping chest-bots won't stop anything. The sellers gather their credits in many ways.

What BioWare needs to do is crack down on the buyers..as said....stop the buyers..stop the sellers. No not as easy as it sounds but they still need to put more effort into it...they should be able to trace large amounts of credits transfering, but whatever.

Is that how you think cred sellers get their creds? You have much to learn.

I'm surprised people even trust any website that sells online currency, cause that's not the only thing there taking from you IE: Personal info, Bank accounts, passwords, etc. not just your $.

Someone in my guild told me to use a credit selling websitE that him and his friends use. He made a point of why buy cartel packs when you can just buy credits and get what you want on the gtn. I didn't bash him for that But still all I can think is I guess people really do buy credits. Which is kind of Annoying as gamestop reselling games

the credit spammers are obviously getting tons of easy credits to sell by using bots to open treasure chests. why isn't anything ever done to stop them? they are inflating the economy, bothering the fleet with spam and costing you sales of cartel coins.

i have seen many threads about this issue for over a year now and it seems nothing is ever done about it.

and it looks like the problem got a lot worse around 3.0 so i am guessing 3.0 introduced even more treasure chests on high level planets for them to exploit.

they get a lot more cash selling expensive mats on the gtn..thats why they pitched such a fit about the slot machine

To everyone saying that stopping teleport chest botters won't do anything or they are not getting their credits from it, you are WRONG. You are also part of the reason nothing is done to fix the situation. Yes there are many other ways to get credits but teleport botting gives tons of guaranteed credits for hardly any work on the botter's behalf.

Lets forget about the spam, inflating the economy, and any other negative stuff for a second though. Don't you people find it rather silly to have a game mechanic(chests) where your actual players aren't even getting them? Instead the majority of them are taken by teleport botters. What is the point in them even being there if they are mostly going to benefit teleport botters and not the actual players?

The goal for fighting bots/spam is to make it as hard as possible on them. Saying "they get credits from other places" and blowing off their top method is just nuts. You always fix/change stuff that is heavily exploited by botters as long as it is something that doesn't have a big impact on actual players. Bioware is currently just handing the credits to the credit sellers via the chests. They have made no effort at all with changes to stop it. If they at least had someone who would actually regularly banned them or even just banned by reports, that would solve the bot/spam problem right there. Instead if you report a bot they just close the ticket and ignore it.

What is sad the most is that is not like they are overwhelmed at all. Compared to a mmo like WoW where there is 100s of servers. You can get instant access to high level characters. Just overall tons more people and a huge market. Which means tons more botters combined between gold sellers and regular players using a bot to cheat in almost all areas of the game. They can easily control botters here with changes or just banning.

If there weren't a thriving market of folks BUYING the credits, then they wouldn't be putting so much effort into selling them. And if you think that doing something to chests would stop them (or even slow them down), then you really aren't thinking very hard about the entirety of the gold-selling for profit system.

Some people are so myopic, it's a wonder they can see the rest of this sentence.

I will again (every time this comes up!) recommend reading FTW by Cory Doctorow and REAMDE by Neal Stephenson for a thought-provoking look at both the real-life gold-selling for profit system and a fictional MMO that takes gold sellers into account and folds them into its playerbase (respectively).

None of you have any actual proof of them being gold sellers so any banning is out of the question. To prove someone is actually selling credits is a very difficult task.

As I said previously..

Bioware needs to spend like $500 and set up a sting operation against the credit sellers.

Purchase the credits. When the trade is completed, you have the account of the credit seller. Delete it.

/thread

Please enlighten me how the amount of $500 would be the grand solution to the alleged credit seller problem?:rolleyes:

Credits cost like $4.00. Sit a Bioware employee down for a day and go to these sites and buy credits. When they meet up in game and the employee receives the credits, that person is obviously a credit seller. Ban the account.

$500 could potentially get 125 different accounts banned.

Whether that's a large or small portion of them isn't in question. It would hurt them for an insignificant cost to Bioware.

Edited by dbears

Credits cost like $4.00. Sit a Bioware employee down for a day and go to these sites and buy credits. When they meet up in game and the employee receives the credits, that person is obviously a credit seller. Ban the account.

$500 could potentially get 125 different accounts banned.

Whether that's a large or small portion of them isn't in question. It would hurt them for an insignificant cost to Bioware.

You do know they will only make new accounts?

Do some research and you'll discover that they do not meet in game. You'll most likely receive a mail.

Also, you're not seeing the bigger picture. Credit sellers = a thriving game. Otherwise they wouldn't spend their time selling/spamming. Why spend time on a dead game? No business in that.

You do know they will only make new accounts?

Do some research and you'll discover that they do not meet in game. You'll most likely receive a mail.

Also, you're not seeing the bigger picture. Credit sellers = a thriving game. Otherwise they wouldn't spend their time selling/spamming. Why spend time on a dead game? No business in that.

Okay, so they make new accounts. They still have to amass the credits to start selling again. Once the spams start up again (if they ever stopped), send the Bioware employee out again and start buying/banning again.

Also, in game mails (I'm sure) can still still be traced back to the account. Your arguement on that front is moot.

So what if credit sellers = a thriving game. Are you trying to say that no credit sellers, because all their accounts were deleted by Bioware = a dead game? The game will still thrive without credit sellers.

Okay, so they make new accounts. They still have to amass the credits to start selling again. Once the spams start up again (if they ever stopped), send the Bioware employee out again and start buying/banning again.

Also, in game mails (I'm sure) can still still be traced back to the account. Your arguement on that front is moot.

So what if credit sellers = a thriving game. Are you trying to say that no credit sellers, because all their accounts were deleted by Bioware = a dead game? The game will still thrive without credit sellers.

Mule accounts. Simple as. The "courier" accounts don't have the big bucks on them. Deleting them won't affect the amount of credits available to the seller(s).

If you don't understand the concept of credit sellers/spammers = a thriving game, then you need to do some reading about how the real world works. ;)

Edited by LoverNoFighter
ddf