The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What has been the most satisfying class for YOU to play?

Narasil

Instead of a post asking what's the best X class I'd like some feedback on which classes/class you have found the most personally satisfying and those ones you "keep coming back to", you know the ones I mean ;)

I would prefer if you narrow it to one or two...three at the most classes and write a little bit (or a lot) about why you enjoy them so much and why you think they fit you and your play-style so well. I think this is a much better way of gauging the broad range of opinions out there about class and play-style rather than ask of you the impossible task of telling ME which class I would like the best :)

Thanks in advance!

I've played a Sorc, and marauder to 60, a sin to 58, a jugg to 48, and various others to the thirties/forties.

I have to say that the Jugg has both followed my playstyle the best and made me feel "powerful" and immersed in the game. I can do things with him I've not been able to do with any other toon (other than the sorc pre nerf). The sorc was a close second.

In terms of role play I'd have to say the Jedi sage is my favorite. It's a good class just on the face of it too. Easily switched between healing and good dps, very viable in PVE (can't speak to PVP), but it has had the most "star warsy" feel for me. Thank you all for your responses.

P.S. As an aside I've played every class with the exception of the imp agent, and commando. There isn't a single one of them I haven't enjoyed to some degree. It's always been a matter of which kind of candy to I want to eat rather than a "pick your poison" position for me. I love em all, which is why I have WAY too many alts :p

Edited by Narasil

There's two things to consider - was the story good and was playing smooth? In terms of story I did very much enjoy Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent, but especially the warrior was a pain to play at times if I didn't keep gear for myself and my healer up to date. Dying a lot really makes for a bad experience even if you know it's partly your own fault.

The Bounty Hunter story wasn't quite as epic, maybe, but the play was very smooth from the start. Ofc it had to do with remembering what I did wrong on the SW so now my gear and Mako's was always as good as I could make it.

Gunslinger. Although according to player statistics I am in the minority. I love the space cowboy/girl thing, love the sharp sound of my blasters going off, love the look of those bright bolts spraying everywhere. I love the cover mechanic and I love playing ranged DPS. And I look pretty spiffy in a cowboy hat, if I do say so myself. ;)

Marauder/Sentinel. Why? People ***** and moan about this class non-stop. But carnage/combat tree is just so much fun and lethal if you are one of the 5% of people who play it correctly and use cooldowns properly. I would even go as far to say it has the best burst of a melee class. Plus, when you do well in it, because of the learning curve, it shows how good a player you are. The only class you will really have a hard time with is vengeance juggernauts, everything else is like butter.

Just realized this was about pve. For pve I love mercenary/powertech. Excellent story, great viability in endgame pve (the ideal build in operations right now is as many bounty hunters as you can stuff into a group,) and great damage roles. PT is an excellent tank with great mitigation, mercenary is the best pve healer right now with excellent burst heals, which is what saves lives in heavy damage situations, and both classes have a great sustained DoT spec that parses top of the charts and a very powerful burst spec for each class as a dps. No complaints about damage viability in pve with these classes, they are THE perfect class to raid on.

Has anyone played both a vanguard and a PT up to 60ish? I'd be interested to hear if you might favor one over the other and why. I think that's my next toon to go up to endgame based on what I've heard here and my own playing of my vanguard.

This is a great thread, my hat goes off to the OP! Just saying..., now, for an answer...

Out of all the characters I have, the one class that I have the most of, is Jedi Gaurdian, so by default, I guess this would be my favourite. Not too sure why though. I guess it all comes down to your own style of play. My style? I like to the see the movie action in everything I do. The Guardian reminds me of the Jedi you see on the big screen and my Gunslinger makes me think of Solo, especially now that Bowdarr is with him. I do love my Slinger, but yeah definitely Jedi Guardian. Story wise, I have found that the Knights have had it the hardest, but I feel it has been the more rewarding of all the classes I have played so far.

I also have a Sith Warrior Juggernaut, who is almost a complete mirror of my main character, but I haven't enjoyed playing him as much. I also find that I just can't go dark, the dark choices just never sit right with me, so most Imp classes are out for the reason.

Hope this made sense, adn I also hope it helps with your decision.

Overall, probably Consular(Shadow), but its a hard comparison. I love the gameplay of the shadow, and the storyline is a close second behind..

The Agent. Loved the story, disliked the gameplay and most of the characters (except Kaliyo), which is why it doesn't top my list.

The other classes I've played all have great elements:

The smuggler for the companions and dialog (The "duel" on Alderaan is my all-time favourite swtor moment :) ).

The Sith warrior for having everyone gulp and say "My lord" whenever you approach, as well as Vette's dialog.

The Knight for at least one boss fight that felt really cinematic - He has some force throw ability that would send me flying across the room, but then of course you get to force-leap back into it.

My favourite so far has been a Prototype Powertech. I am currently playing a Tactics Vanguard which is lvl 39.

I liked the story for the Powertech, but I think I have enjoyed the trooper story more, but that is my preference. As to the visuals of various skills, some I prefer the Prototype animation and some the Tactics.

I think initially Powertech has an advantage due to it getting a healer companion first up, but the Troopers 2nd comanion is a healer, so not much disparity there. Though I rather like catman as a companion.

Edited by Mamae

Merc 5 lyfe!

It certainly has its flaws (real DCD, we can haz, finally?), but just such wonderful fun, and so delightfully versatile.

Very close second:

Gunslinger.

Merc edges him out because he is more versatile (off-heals + 30% more armour-rating can come in awful handy when you're solo'ing the local open-world Champion mob) and the story is (MHO) overall better, but, like the Merc, he has such marvellous style, élan, and essentially unlimited room to grow with you.

Third: Lightning spec Sorc, even in the bad old days....He's just so cool and fun (ThunderBlast has what may well be one of the game's most epic animations)! He takes third because the other two specs are kinda boring to play, but the overall quality of the story makes up for that.

PALPATINE ALL THE THINGS!!!!!

(Yes, "Palpatine" is now a verb, because I say so.)

Edited by midianlord

For me, it is the Sith Assassin, I played Madness spec back in 2.X and stuck with Hatred spec in PVE all this time, but after the shot they took at us I may rethink and roll a different class. I have 2 hatred assassins, and was considering a third, but may reconsider and go with something else

This is a great thread, my hat goes off to the OP! Just saying..., now, for an answer...

Out of all the characters I have, the one class that I have the most of, is Jedi Gaurdian, so by default, I guess this would be my favourite. Not too sure why though. I guess it all comes down to your own style of play. My style? I like to the see the movie action in everything I do. The Guardian reminds me of the Jedi you see on the big screen and my Gunslinger makes me think of Solo, especially now that Bowdarr is with him. I do love my Slinger, but yeah definitely Jedi Guardian. Story wise, I have found that the Knights have had it the hardest, but I feel it has been the more rewarding of all the classes I have played so far.

I also have a Sith Warrior Juggernaut, who is almost a complete mirror of my main character, but I haven't enjoyed playing him as much. I also find that I just can't go dark, the dark choices just never sit right with me, so most Imp classes are out for the reason.

Hope this made sense, adn I also hope it helps with your decision.

You should play a light sided Juggernaut. You will be surprised.^^

A tie... Either Pub Trooper or Imp Agent. There I was the "everyman" having to (and being capable) of standing up to powerful Force users BUT having to make what I find were harder decisions. The trooper

if they do it right has to let their friend die to succeed in the mission and save the most people possible

The force users had it easier in my opinion. Of course you have light side and dark side decisions but those decisions were a lot more black and white.

Edited by Ghisallo