Item Base Stats All The Same??? REALLY???

DubyooC

I never really noticed this before, and i am sure that i am not alone. Last night i was running an instance with myself, a Shadow Jedi, player B, anothr Shadow Jedi, and player C a Jedi Sage.

At the end of the run a lvl 36 single bladed light saber drops, Jedi Sage is like sweet a weapon upgrade. player B is like hey im going to roll on that so i can use the hilt to make my weapon better. I was like uh i dont really agree on that its a weapon for the sage. Player be is like the hilt is what gives it all the damage, the base damage after you remove that hilt is the same base damage as an empty level 10 weapon.

This got me thinking so at the end of the day all that is SUPER important in this game is the upgrade that gives the item its main stats, Armoring mod for armor, Weapon Hilt for Lightsabers etc.

I couldn't believe that the base item would have the same stats no matter what the level so i took out the hilt from my level 34 double bladed lightsaber and it had a base damage of 44, i went to the bank and took the hilt out from another double bladed light saber which was like level 14 or something, and low and behold base damage 44.

Am i the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really noticed this before, and i am sure that i am not alone. Last night i was running an instance with myself, a Shadow Jedi, player B, anothr Shadow Jedi, and player C a Jedi Sage.

At the end of the run a lvl 36 single bladed light saber drops, Jedi Sage is like sweet a weapon upgrade. player B is like hey im going to roll on that so i can use the hilt to make my weapon better. I was like uh i dont really agree on that its a weapon for the sage. Player be is like the hilt is what gives it all the damage, the base damage after you remove that hilt is the same base damage as an empty level 10 weapon.

This got me thinking so at the end of the day all that is SUPER important in this game is the upgrade that gives the item its main stats, Armoring mod for armor, Weapon Hilt for Lightsabers etc.

I couldn't believe that the base item would have the same stats no matter what the level so i took out the hilt from my level 34 double bladed lightsaber and it had a base damage of 44, i went to the bank and took the hilt out from another double bladed light saber which was like level 14 or something, and low and behold base damage 44.

Am i the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea?

It's a great idea. It means that if you find a set of robes at level 15 that you really like, you can stick with it forever, just upgrading the mods.

It also means you can buy a mod for a few badges and upgrade your current gear way cheaper than buying a whole new set.

It also means that in Flashpoints im going to roll on your heavy armor now because it has a mod i like, how does this make you feel? Or that im going to roll on your single bladed light sabers to make my double sided light saber better?

That is the point im making, will i really do this, i don't know i don't want to, but if other people are going to do it to me, i might as well get the jump on people and eat before i get eaten right?

Edited by DubyooC

Tyr is absolutely correct. This is a way of allowing you to customize your character. Keep all the orange items you get, and you can wear the gear you like by upgrading the item modifications in it.

This is a much more realistic and practical way of customization, than say, Transmogrification.

I can understand the frustration of having to fight for gear just because another person can tear it apart to make their own better.

I think that instead of having custom gear drop, just the mods should. Or inversely, custom gear that drops shouldn't have mods on it to start.

It also means that in Flashpoints im going to roll on your heavy armor now because it has a mod i like, how does this make you feel? Or that im going to roll on your single bladed light sabers to make my double sided light saber better?

That is the point im making, will i really do this, i don't know i don't want to, but if other people are going to do it to me, i might as well get the jump on people and eat before i get eaten right?

This is a fair concern, however i'm not sure it's up to BioWare to be the galactic police on this subject. Perhaps they can make a 'need before greed' type rules which takes this into account.

This would empower the players to make that choice.

I just think that there are better ways available to allow players to keep the models that they like without making the game about mods rather than the gear for the class. I guess what i am saying is a level 40 piece of gear should have slightly better base stats than a level 10 piece of gear, and at the same the system to allow players to sylize themselves how they want to could be different.

I got an orange chest piece a few levels back that had a base of maybe 40 and then mod slots...Im cybertech and I looked at all the mods i could make and decided that i couldnt get a very strong armor piece out of the orange as compared to the chest piece I was already using so I just sold it...was that a bad idea?

And no, it doesn't work that way. If you're rolling on a piece of gear you can't equip just for the mods, you're bad. The only thing this really confuses is single-bladed lightsabers, and I tend to give preference to the class who can best use the mod, rather than just rolling on it because I can change it.

Light gear still goes to light gear wearers, med gear to medium gear wearers, etc. Just prioritize the mods on the gear like you would anything else. If I have a DPS guardian in a group with me and Heavy drops with def or absorption, or more Endurance than Str, he hands it to me. Likewise I hand it to him if its more Str than Endurance or has crit. Yes, the mods can be ripped out -- but those mods still define who the loot should go to.

If someone says "I dont care what stats are on it, I'm rolling so I can mod it" they are ******es and you should kick them from group.

I got an orange chest piece a few levels back that had a base of maybe 40 and then mod slots...Im cybertech and I looked at all the mods i could make and decided that i couldnt get a very strong armor piece out of the orange as compared to the chest piece I was already using so I just sold it...was that a bad idea?

If you didn't like the way the chest looked, then it's not bad no.

The thing is, if you remove all the mods, that chest is the same as any other orange chest. It's the mods that give all the stats, hence why it's so customizable when it comes to how you want to look.

you can already roll on it for your companions. so it's not really a big deal. do what you have to do. but don't forget, no x-shard - so you WILL see the other players again.

Remove drops with removable mods. Orange drops should then always be empty, perhaps?

this might be a good idea actually.

Edited by Graburr

I kind of personally feel that mods should only be able to be over written not removed, not only would this solve the above issue that i have mentioned, it would also provide a huge bump to the crafting economy as far as those crafters who can make said modifications goes.

you can already roll on it for your companions. so it's not really a big deal. do what you have to do. but don't forget, no x-shard - so you WILL see the other players again.

Empty orange pieces are a terrible idea, because then you'd be rolling against everyone who can equip it.

I kind of personally feel that mods should only be able to be over written not removed, not only would this solve the above issue that i have mentioned, it would also provide a huge bump to the crafting economy as far as those crafters who can make said modifications goes.

Sure, until you get to a point where mods are ridiculously expensive.

Then mods become enchants.

No, please.

I'm not sure I support this. Mods in oranges is the best way to get mods.

I think a better solution is to just act like adults. If the guy needs the 1H sabre, but you need a mod for your double blade let him have it and ask for the mod, or work out a deal. TALK to other players. Most people are reasonable, and because there is no cross server play, it pays to be reasonable.

I just don't understand what the problem is here. Who cares if its moddable? The gear goes to the person who can best utilize the stats on it.

Its not like Heavy armor drops with Willpower mods on it. Or anything weird like that.

So whats the problem here?

All this effects in terms of /rolls is that if a Willpower lightsaber drops and nobody needs it, my Guardian can take it and mod the Willpower to Str.

That does not mean I get -any- loot entitlement to that item, at all. None. It goes to whoever can best use it, mods and all.

The mod are your stat

The gear are appearence only.

So the shadow was right to roll unless the sage wanted the lightsaber skin.

The Sage did want it, and the Shadow rolled anyway because of what he felt was right. Noone was wrong, it is just a flaw in the system that i see causing heartache, we all know loot is the number one cause of drama on the internet!

@freakuancy You are somewhat correct and i see your point, im just talking about what i experienced this isnt going to crossover to every gear type obviously, it is situational. I am just posting because i see a flaw and wanted to see what peoples opinions were, no need to get upset over it.

Edited by DubyooC