Cursor icon missing

robertjborg

HI i just reinstalled the game and i am having an issue with my mouse icons. The normal yellow arrow pointer is fine and shows like it should but my problem is when i hover/click something that is interactive say a mission console or a ncp or a vender. When i mouse over them the icon should change to the respective cursor image for that target but it wont change and stays the arrow. If i click on something that is not showing the correct icon my moue will vanish like it knows the icon should change but it cant load it. The mouse will stay gone until i can move it away from the target and click on nothing (this can be hard when you cant see it mouse).

I tried somethings myself to fix it but nothing worked ex. tuned down all the fx, tried windowed mode, changed the mouse.

I will note that when i changed the mouse i am now experiencing slightly different behavior. I used a generic no frills mouse and the reaction in game changed, now it appears i can see the icons changing like they should but i have limit before it stops working again. It will show the icons like it should for say the first 4-6 icons then any new icons are blank ex. I log in and first thing i mouse over is a companion so the chat bubble shows, then i go over a interactive panel and i see the finger icon, next i target a dummy and see the yellow target icon but now when i get close to the dummy the red target icon dose not show and the mouse vanished when i clicked again, the icons i have seen all ready will still work for any like target. Any order it dose not matter after a few it wont work for any more. You cant reset what icons show by restarting the client but will only ever show about the first 4 before it stops working.

Now both of the mice have the same behavior i got my logitech g502 to work like the simple mouse by turning off the mouse software, so it was having some effect. If it can never work with the g502 fine but i would like it to work right with some, any mouse.

This is a new install of windows done about a week ago, all drivers are up to date. I have not had any other problems the mouse and all its buttons work fine just the icons that go missing. The current drivers for my video card i don't really want to roll back because the current drivers fixed a issue i was having with g-sync. I can try to reinstall the mouse software when i get home but i don't think it has changed.

This is a new install of windows done about a week ago, all drivers are up to date. I have not had any other problems the mouse and all its buttons work fine just the icons that go missing. The current drivers for my video card i don't really want to roll back because the current drivers fixed a issue i was having with g-sync. I can try to reinstall the mouse software when i get home but i don't think it has changed.

Did you install DirectX9.0c redistributable from Microsoft?

It's not included on new installs after XP/Vista (can't remember when it changed), but SWTOR needs it. DX10 and DX11 emulate DX9 but not very well, and sometimes third party software that comes with DX9 only has the packages they use so it's not a complete install of the library.

Here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Also, double check that both the launcher and client are set to run as administrator, go into your hard drive where SWTOR is installed, it's in Electronic Arts > BioWare > Star Wars - The Old Republic for the launcher, and then into swtor > retailclient for the client. Right click the exe, go to compatibility tab, check run as administrator box. You can also try to run in XP service pack 3 for compatibility, some people report that it helps. It's in the same tab as where you set to run as admin.

Try that out and let us know how it works.

Well i found out that it had nothing to do with my drivers. I did a selective start-up and it was still bugging out but at least that lead me to the only thing running in the system tray, EVGA PercisionX. Once i turned it off my icons returned to normal. I was using it to control the fans but i just set a static value that keeps the card safe and turned it off. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Well i found out that it had nothing to do with my drivers. I did a selective start-up and it was still bugging out but at least that lead me to the only thing running in the system tray, EVGA PercisionX. Once i turned it off my icons returned to normal. I was using it to control the fans but i just set a static value that keeps the card safe and turned it off. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Could it have overclocked or undervolted your card? That utility shouldn't make your icons dissapear if all it was doing was controlling your fan speed, and sometimes those third party utilities don't have the correct voltage or clock speed set for stock. That said, if you do gaming should always run the fan speed at 100% rather than take a chance that a variable speed control doesn't react in time to a heat spike.

• 5 months later...

I have this same problem and I also had EVGA Precision X running in tray. I turned it off and reloaded the game it looks normal now. I restarted EVGA Precision X after it was already running and the cursor still acts normal, so you might want to just remember to turn it off and back on after loading up. Weird bug!