What if Directional and Distortion had a baby?

Nemarus

All this talk of angled deflector shields got me thinking...

What if DF and Directional combined? No missile break or active ability, but you could shift your passive Evasion to double front, double back, or balanced.

How much passive Evasion and capacity would each side need to have (keeping in mind you could double it in either direction) , for it to be worth using instead of DF?

Is this just a good lunar phase for you or something?

That's a great question, but you probably need to be a little more specific with the givens. Do you mean that the shield would have the same passive magnitude penalty as disto currently does, and the same passive evasion bonus as disto currently does? Or is the passive evasion bonus the variable that we have to balance the loss of missile break and extra evasion actives?

Is this just a good lunar phase for you or something?

That's a great question, but you probably need to be a little more specific with the givens. Do you mean that the shield would have the same passive magnitude penalty as disto currently does, and the same passive evasion bonus as disto currently does? Or is the passive evasion bonus the variable that we have to balance the loss of missile break and extra evasion actives?

You are the designer!

I mean, I'm not really sure how the devs picked the capacities as they are. Let's bound it. If the capacity is -20%, how big is the evasion? What if the capacity is 110% like on Directional?

And as for lunar phases, I think you and I both have our moods :p

On this day, you are not my enemy. But tomorrow looms.

What ships are you proposing to put it on?

The numbers that balance for T1 gunships, T3 gunships, and scouts are very different from the numbers that balance for strikes, bombers, and T2 gunships.

For evasive ships I'd hesitate to take it over 30 to 35% for the doubled side when mastered, assuming a scout can still get 33% passive evasion. Given that your missile vulnerability doesn't actually change all that much except to clusters, that may even be on the high side, since there's no window of low evasion as in DF. So I suppose I'd start out testing on the PTS at 10% to each side even for 43% passive evasion, and have doubled evasion be 33|53, and adjust from there.

For non-evasive ships it's probably not attractive unless you can get to a roughly 50% chance of a railgun shot missing. So on the order of 23% per single side and 46% doubled. That'd give you a ship about as evasive as a scout in live that's either not upgraded or not stacking evasion.

Edited by Ramalina