The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Prototype - Lacklustre?

Crooooom

AP is amazing if ya run Ion with it.

My General Rotation is Immolate/Rocketpunch/Rblade/Railshot/Flameburst

I've tried out the other hybrid builds currently available, and while they did ok damage, and I loved jet charge, I still feel the 31 AP/10 ST build has more going for it.

Not feasible. Each tree has their own brand of heat management. AP's method is an extra 8 heat dissipated per 6 seconds while HEGC is active. Shield Tech's brand is by dissipating 6 heat on blocks 50% of the time, every few seconds.

If you forgo both of those methods, you will have terrible heat management and be overheated constantly. If you're using IGC, you *need* to spec high enough into that tree to vent heat on blocks. If you're using HEGC, you *need* to be venting an extra 8 heat every 6 seconds. Hybridization is not feasible because the majority of the time you'd be running around spamming Rapid Shots waiting for your heat to get low enough to start hurting people again and be largely useless.

The point of going up a DPS tree is to be able to kill people. If you gimp yourself by drastically lowering your DPS in order to prevent overheating because you don't have any of the heat management talents, then that sort of defeats the purpose.

Yea, this is pretty much wrong on all accounts in PVP.

Heat Management isn't that bad for AP with using Ion, Immolate really just kind of makes the spec insanely easy to do since you basically end up with 2 moves for 8 heat.

Flameburst also makes your Rocketpunch not cost anything either.

The Pyro builds while nice, I pretty much mow through everyone of them I see very quickly, and if they're silly enough to run the Pyro Cylinder they're going to die incredibly fast.

I've been BH-PT advanced prototype DPS on my bounty hunter since level 10, and I'm level 30 now.

I LOVE my dps output, and my range flexibility. I do have to get in close for rocket punch, but a lot of other abilities are medium range, and rocket punch is on a timer anyway. So I can stay at medium range, and just run in occasionally for a punch.

I love the "flame" theme of the dps from this tree. I do wish we could move while channeling the 3 second flame thrower though.

I use high energy canister for the heat dissapation when doing heroics/flashpoints. It's a significant dps increase. As long as the tank knows what he's doing, I can do massive dps and not worry about aggro.

When soloing, if I'm facing normal/strong mobs, I use dps canister. However for elite mobs, I usually throw on the ion /tank cylinder and a offhand shield to help out. I have to use my zero heat attack a lot cause I build heat faster, but my survivability with mako is insanely higher.

I sometimes wonder if I would have enjoyed merc-arsenal range dps more, but honestly, I love the powertech/advanced prototype in your face with the fire a lot.

Also I see a MILLION merc/arsenal running around, and hardly any powertech.

Also I feel even more unique, because the majority of powertech are shield spec for tanky, not dps like me.

One caveat is I don't really pvp. I think merc/arsenal may be more fun for that due to the range and all the knockbacks and snares this game has. As short range dps with low survivability, I could see pvp being a death fest for me lol.

I've been BH-PT advanced prototype DPS on my bounty hunter since level 10, and I'm level 30 now.

I LOVE my dps output, and my range flexibility. I do have to get in close for rocket punch, but a lot of other abilities are medium range, and rocket punch is on a timer anyway. So I can stay at medium range, and just run in occasionally for a punch.

I love the "flame" theme of the dps from this tree. I do wish we could move while channeling the 3 second flame thrower though.

I use high energy canister for the heat dissapation when doing heroics/flashpoints. It's a significant dps increase. As long as the tank knows what he's doing, I can do massive dps and not worry about aggro.

When soloing, if I'm facing normal/strong mobs, I use dps canister. However for elite mobs, I usually throw on the ion /tank cylinder and a offhand shield to help out. I have to use my zero heat attack a lot cause I build heat faster, but my survivability with mako is insanely higher.

I sometimes wonder if I would have enjoyed merc-arsenal range dps more, but honestly, I love the powertech/advanced prototype in your face with the fire a lot.

Also I see a MILLION merc/arsenal running around, and hardly any powertech.

Also I feel even more unique, because the majority of powertech are shield spec for tanky, not dps like me.

One caveat is I don't really pvp. I think merc/arsenal may be more fun for that due to the range and all the knockbacks and snares this game has. As short range dps with low survivability, I could see pvp being a death fest for me lol.

That's odd... I'm 30 too, and full AP... I feel like my damage is pretty poor generally - there doesn't seem to be much difference if I switch to Ion and shield in damage, but my survivability goes up a lot. AP needs a tweak imo - increase damage of RB, for starters.

Wow I notice a huge difference if I switch to ion and a shield... I'm more survivable, but my dps goes down the drain.

High energy doesn't just give you the base 5% or whatever dps increase (plus I think another 3 to 5% from the AP talent).

That in of itself is an extra 8 to 10% damage straight up. Add in there the talent that's statically venting head every 6 seconds or so. This allows you to use a lot more abilities and not go over 40-50 heat. Also my dps offhand has almost twice as much tech power as my shield offhand.

I'd say it's a choice between 15-20% mitigation in ion/shield mode or 15-20% damage in high energy/pwr genorator if I had to guess.

On harder mobs by myself I'd choose the mitigation, so make can just keep me going forever. On easy stuff, or if I have a tank I'd much rather do the extra damage (plus I do a lot less threat)

But honestly I like that flexibility.

As to whether or not Ap needs a buff or not, that's hard for me to say.

Until we get into more endgame stuff, and start to see some damage meters, I really can't say. If other powertech dps lines, or merc, or other classes entirely are doing way more dps, then sure I'd say buff AP.

I definately don't have any trouble soloing though, so I don't see a problem at the moment with AP.

Wow I notice a huge difference if I switch to ion and a shield... I'm more survivable, but my dps goes down the drain.

High energy doesn't just give you the base 5% or whatever dps increase (plus I think another 3 to 5% from the AP talent).

That in of itself is an extra 8 to 10% damage straight up. Add in there the talent that's statically venting head every 6 seconds or so. This allows you to use a lot more abilities and not go over 40-50 heat. Also my dps offhand has almost twice as much tech power as my shield offhand.

I'd say it's a choice between 15-20% mitigation in ion/shield mode or 15-20% damage in high energy/pwr genorator if I had to guess.

On harder mobs by myself I'd choose the mitigation, so make can just keep me going forever. On easy stuff, or if I have a tank I'd much rather do the extra damage (plus I do a lot less threat)

But honestly I like that flexibility.

As to whether or not Ap needs a buff or not, that's hard for me to say.

Until we get into more endgame stuff, and start to see some damage meters, I really can't say. If other powertech dps lines, or merc, or other classes entirely are doing way more dps, then sure I'd say buff AP.

I definately don't have any trouble soloing though, so I don't see a problem at the moment with AP.

Dunno if I'm doing something wrong then because I had huge problems with the class story on Tatooine. The last two fights... the first one I nearly died, the second one I did die and had to respawn and try again. Maybe my gear is just bad.

I am in fairly good gear. I'm an armormech, and am pretty much always in blues/purps. I don't let any of my gear get 5 levels below my player level. So if I have a lvl 25 purple, at player level 30 I will upgrade it.

Even if I wasn't armormech though, you can use orange armor/weapons, and just upgrade the armoring/barrel every 5 levels or so with a blue/purp.

Armormech/underworld trading has been a huge money sink for me, but I've still managed to get my mount training at 25, and at 30 I have 85k credits. I'm def. not rich like some other players, but I've trained all my skills, and trained all the armormech recipes so I'm doing alright.

A lot of that will probably start going towards leveling underworld trading again though. blegh