The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech is now a clunky class to play

Razdek

So the last patch pretty much killed the class for me. My BH was my main. loved the feel of playing AP spec. I went AP spec specifically for the shoulder cannon pre-loader. I loved that it was a really cool abiility, with great visuals. I really enjoyed the smooth rotation between my abilities. However now with the changes to shoulder cannon, I almost feel like taking it off my bar. What is the point of having preloaded rockets if you cannot fire them? I am left waiting, agai, and it really breaks up the rotation and makes the class feel very clunky.

Load the rockets

wait

fire 1st rocket

wait

fire 2nd rocket

wait

fire 3rd rocket

wait etc etc

Now I know that these are meant to be fired throughout a rotation, but the skill over all is just poorly designed. I think Bioware really needs to have a look at this skills design and really do something cool with it. In it's current form it is just a terrible ability,

Oh and give us another ability to use our pistols or just take them away and replace it with something else. seriously! Why do I even need a stupid pistol? I never use it! Poor design Bioware. More of our moves should utilise our weapons, otherwise why bother?

Edited by Razdek

SC was always meant to be a filler ability with some usefulness as a utility if you spec it to heal you. It could be considered defensive since you can use it while stunned to give you some extra buffer against the incoming attacks while you're incapacitated. It does not respect GCD so it is obviously meant to be used along side another attack to add to the damage or to be used while you're popping a DCD so you can keep attacking while defending yourself. Focusing your entire situational rotation around that one ability is flawed and not how it was meant to be used at all. SC has only existed since RotHC expac and any PT that knows his/her class knows how to viably work it into their rotation rather that using it as a crutch. Take your own advice and stop using it completely to figure out when and where to use it rather than building your rotation around it.

SC was always meant to be a filler ability with some usefulness as a utility if you spec it to heal you. It could be considered defensive since you can use it while stunned to give you some extra buffer against the incoming attacks while you're incapacitated. It does not respect GCD so it is obviously meant to be used along side another attack to add to the damage or to be used while you're popping a DCD so you can keep attacking while defending yourself. Focusing your entire situational rotation around that one ability is flawed and not how it was meant to be used at all. SC has only existed since RotHC expac and any PT that knows his/her class knows how to viably work it into their rotation rather that using it as a crutch. Take your own advice and stop using it completely to figure out when and where to use it rather than building your rotation around it.

Oh I get all that... I just think the ability still needs some work. My whole rotation doesn't really revolve around it to be honost... but I don't even raid or anything at this point in time... so I don't really need a tight rotation. I just feel like its just a clunky ability that could use a lot of fine tuning to make it more effective. It was obviously nerfed for being too OPed in PVP, however again I think they just overall made the ability worse then what it already was.

Do you utilize custom keybinding, use a Naga or something similar? Bind some keys close together so you can quickly use something like SC > MB > SC > MB or SC > MB > Rapid Shots > etc... (this one being more for PvE unless you're bad off on heat in a PvP situation. I've been using something loosely like that since the SC was introduced and in it's current state not having any issues with it. Granted spamming it for a quick self heal was nice, but its actually easier to just use a medpac. I mainly play Shield Tech, but have used AP and Pyro extensively and I'd say that little bit of a rotation I noted or something similar is applicable to all three specs.

I always used one missle in between each normal rotational ability. The change to 1.5 sec ICD changes nothing for me. Sure if I were using it optimally before I'd fire off an extra one or two per GCD but I didn't so no worries on the change here.

I always used one missle in between each normal rotational ability. The change to 1.5 sec ICD changes nothing for me. Sure if I were using it optimally before I'd fire off an extra one or two per GCD but I didn't so no worries on the change here.

Exactly. Once we got SC way back when I just used the SC in between everything and I still do. Stun someone and hit them with Rail Shot followed by a quick SC is pretty nice if you're in Tank spec. I think the new ICD for SC is fine and just requires PT and VG players to utilize their core abilities rather than spam something easy. "I win" buttons don't have a place in MMOs