The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Custom Companion/Mercenary Contract Vendor

I know there is already a droid in the Cartel Bazaar where you pick up Treek, but how about being able to "choose" a different companion? Using an interface and screens similar to the Character Creator.

So you pay "xxx" Cartel Coins for a "Mercenary Contract" you then go to the droid in the Bazaar ... "Of course Sir / Madam, we have many fine mercenaries wishing to join you on your adventures, please feel free to browse through their portfolio's here."

You would then select:

Alignment = LS or DS for conversation/affection gains (as apposed to the current Republic / Empire choice for player characters)

Race = Only those that have already been unlocked on that account (same as player characters)

Sex = Male / Female where / if available

Class = Based on your earlier LS / DS choice (related to Republic or Empire versions of each class)

Role = This would essentially be the "Advanced Class" of the companion.

So you could, if you so wished, have a "Kira" clone who is a Trooper Commando AoE DPS, or a Corso clone who is a Jedi Sage Healer. Or any other combination of Character/Class.

They wouldn't need particularly "in depth" conversation chains, and if you used primarily the models/ voice files from current, existing companions, very little extra modeling / VA would be needed.

I'd happily pay several thousand CC's for that kind of Mercenary contract. And this way we wouldn't have several dozen copies of the exact same companion running around the capital worlds (which to me is extremely immersion breaking) and there wouldn't' be an "only choice for 'xxxx' class / AC " companion.

All wishful thinking I know, but hey ... you never get if you never ask right?

I like it.

I would suggest an option on the Alignment choice to also choose whether the companion gave preference to Faction or LS/DS Alignment in terms of affection, however.

Sometimes it makes more sense for a character to be Pro-Republic regardless of whether pro-Republic happens to be LS or DS option. Sometimes it makes more sense for character to favor their Alignment choice over "what's best for the Faction" at that moment.

This would not work, as people would find ways to make completely OP companions, and then proceed to routinely kick players from their group just because they don't have said companions.

How exactly could they create an "OP" companion?

The "Skill Packages" would be identical to the current ones used on the current companions. So a "Healer" would have, for instance, exactly the same "package" as say Mako or Doc, how could that be OP? Or any more OP than Treek or HK-51 are now?

Essentially all it would do is change the faces/races/class/sex of existing in game companions, allowing you to "choose" who/what you want with you. Because most players pick a play style and then use one companion almost exclusively after that, why or how could it be bad or "OP" to be able to customize that companion?

I know for some of my male toons, I would much rather Alara or even Mako instead of Doc, but I don't have any choice in the matter.

But please, if you can somehow work out a way to make an OP companion from my suggestion, I would greatly appreciate the feedback, because I can't figure out how the could.