The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Padme - how you disappoint me. :(

Gentleman_snow

She seems like she has an impressive resume. Queen at 14, accomplished Senator, great with a blaster, fantastic ensemble of midriff baring outfits (okay, that last one's a bonus in my eyes, at least). She's set up to be this strong lady character, and I enjoy strong lady characters. I think they're more interesting than males in the same roles for a variety of reasons.

Except...then she sort of loses it. When Anakin is goody two shoes, she rebuffs his advances almost coldly. Okay, it happens. Sorry, Ani. But after he slaughters the men, women and children of a sandpeople village, she's deeply in love with him. Commence wedding vows.

Fast forward to Episode III. Anakin kills betrays the Jedi order, helps kill Master Windu, slaughters countless Jedi with the help of Clone Troops, murders younglings by the score, helps destroy her system of government, pledges himself to the right hand of one of the most successful Sith Lords in history (after all, Palps manipulate an entire galaxy into fighting itself for his benefit, so untold casualties across known space can be laid at his feet for both sides), and Padme's response is...

....Begging, begging Anakin not to leave her. Begging. She can't live without him. Anakin, please, let's go. Be mine forever. Please, Ani.

I mean, come on, now. The Padme I got to know in the first two movies might not have been thrilled with these events, and truly, everything she loved and believed in was shattered right in front of her. But I'd sooner expect her to pick up a blaster and fight the system, including Anakin, rather than wilt like a flower and die instead. Did she have a fatal flaw for the bad boy? Was this, under the skin, an abusive relationship? (Ani did force choke the Hell out of her).

All that being said, there was a great fan theory about Palpatine leaching her life force away from her to help Anakin survive until he was in the armor, and they supported it well enough that I like to think that's what actually happened. I far prefer that to her dying from a broken heart.

Thoughts, anyone?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because she loves him? She doesn't wanna see him as Obi-Wan described him, fallen to the darkside etc. I don't see how this takes away from her overall character.

Everything she fought for, quite literally fell down around her...the last thing she wants to see is her love being twisted by the darkside.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Her daughter watched the Empire annihilate Alderaan, including her surrogate family and all of her friends, and her little dog Toto too, if she had one. Leia didn't break he stride. She picks up a blaster and throughout all three movies, never misses a shot. She beats down the Empire with a stick. Her mother, compared to that, was a bit lacking. :(

Because Padme died like right after? We don't know what she would have done, also there's rather a distinct difference.

Padme pretty much lost the entire galaxy and everything she fought for, just was destroyed. She also had Anakin turn to the darkside.

Leia....didn't have any of that happen to her, she lost her home planet and family, sure. But she still had hope and a Rebellion and great friends and eventual love which was Han Solo.

Leia had more good things going for her really, than Padme did.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

It was an incredibly feeble way to write Padme out, though, and she made a poor showing up to that point by increasingly craving a violent mass murderer. Even if that wasn't Lucas' intention, well, let's hope he doesn't write romance anytime soon. We've got Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey for abusive relationship needs.

Its called love bub, love blinds blah blah. Call it a cliche, and question why anyone would fall for a man like Anakin but she did, I guess aside from being violent, controlling and childish, he is a decent guy. No sarcasm intended. Honest. :p

But yeah, Wolf has a point, Padme dies before the Empire can really begin. We can't be sure that Padme would not have given up her love for Anakin for the galaxy, I expect she would, that seemed to be where the dialogue as going.

And I think Leia could have been a little sadder after losing Alderaan and her entire family, TBH. Plot hole really.

Edited by Beniboybling

It was an incredibly feeble way to write Padme out, though, and she made a poor showing up to that point by increasingly craving a violent mass murderer. Even if that wasn't Lucas' intention, well, let's hope he doesn't write romance anytime soon. We've got Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey for abusive relationship needs.
Perhaps, perhaps not. Fact is Padme had to die, what better way to get Anakin or rather Vader to Force Choke her?

I agree though that there is something weak about their relationship, but at the same time isn't that the point? Both are them are infatuated and blinded, I don't think there relation had a future, and I think TCW does a good though subtle job of comparing Anakin and Padme to Obi and Satine. The latter wins by a mile, the relationship is a lot more real.

Edited by Beniboybling

I personally never really liked Padme she always sounded like a cool chick on paper, like being Queen of Naboo at 14 and being good with a blaster which I'm all for. However I found my self repeatedly wondering how she ever manage to become a senator, In the films she somehow gave of the air that she really only cared about her self which is silly because she was meant to be committed to help people. The worst thing about her was her relationship with Anakin, they just totally didn't go together, I mean they had nothing in common and worst it seemed like Anakin was a stalker and she seemed like she was a Pedo I mean Anakin was 17 when they got married but acted like he was 15 she was early 20's but acted like she was 30, Seriously this was CREEPY. IMO there were several problems in Padme and Anakin's relationship that meant that I would be very surprised if the relationship lasted more that a few months in reality, they seriously decided to run of and get married after like no dating to realize that the relationship wouldn't work after that they seemed to become obsessed with each other to the point they supposedly could live without the other. As the adult in this relationship Padme should have known better. When Anakin killed the people on Tatooine that was bad but the fact the Padme want to be in a relationship with him after that was far worst, I mean would you want to date someone who had killed of a whole village of people? Well apparently Padme did. Last of all when Luke and Leia were born Padme just decided to give up because Anakin had gone bad and she couldn't live without him, this honestly has got to be one of the weakest things I've ever seen, most women would live for their kids even if they were heartbroken but not Padme she just decided to give up and leave her children all alone. Seriously weak Edited by wolfshadowhunter

Because Padme died like right after? We don't know what she would have done, also there's rather a distinct difference.

Padme pretty much lost the entire galaxy and everything she fought for, just was destroyed. She also had Anakin turn to the darkside.

Leia....didn't have any of that happen to her, she lost her home planet and family, sure. But she still had hope and a Rebellion and great friends and eventual love which was Han Solo.

Leia had more good things going for her really, than Padme did.

I think the problem is that Lucas wrote a crap story as it relates to Padme. There is no transition. She goes from "fond" to "in love" with little transition or explanation the chemistry between the two actors is also questionable at best. Because of this her embracing someone who has admitted to killing women and children comes of as, tbh, not just ridiculous but insulting, both to the watcher, the read and imo to women in general because Padme just comes off as an accessory in the end, just a plot device to be tragically in love with Anakin and give birth to Luke and Leia.

It makes no sense she falls for him AFTER he comes to her saying "yep I wiped out an entire village." This caring loving person loses the will to live, if not for her but her children, because Anakin chose to be a homicidal maniac?

This is just HORRIBLE writing. George Lucas is a good conceptualist (for lack of a better term) but as a writer he is simply bad. Look at the original movies. The first one got the ball rolling, I will always hold it close to my heart but the writing when you look at it is "meh.". The next two were clearly better. Why...thank you for showing up Mr Kasdan. The fact George is also a bad director just made matters worse."

George needed to stick to the "story by", " created by" and "produced by" credits. He is too damn arrogant though.

Edited by Ghisallo

I think the problem is that Lucas wrote a crap story as it relates to Padme. There is no transition. She goes from "fond" to "in love" with little transition or explanation the chemistry between the two actors is also questionable at best. Because of this her embracing someone who has admitted to killing women and children comes of as, tbh, not just ridiculous but insulting, both to the watcher, the read and imo to women in general because Padme just comes off as an accessory in the end, just a plot device to be tragically in love with Anakin and give birth to Luke and Leia.

So everything has to be shown about their relationship?....Do people not have imagination anymore?

I'm not saying it was perfect, but really...you don't need to have everything spelled out for you, to get it that they have a relationship together.

Also of course it's tragic, that was pretty much the whole point of Anakin's character....he was a tragic character, emotionally unhinged and so on.

But I'm kinda meh about Padme really, so I'm just gonna leave it at this.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So everything has to be shown about their relationship?....Do people not have imagination anymore?

I'm not saying it was perfect, but really...you don't need to have everything spelled out for you, to get it that they have a relationship together.

Also of course it's tragic, that was pretty much the whole point of Anakin's character....he was a tragic character, emotionally unhinged and so on.

No you don't need to show everything BUT you at least have to show why someone would fall in love with someone who admits to them they killed innocent women and children in an uncontrollable rage. A writer has a duty to FUEL our imagination and sustain something called a suspension of disbelief. In terms of the Anakin +Padme relationship Lucas failed miserably.

It is not our job to say "oh well I guess I just have to force myself to believe these two are in love, in spite of the ridiculousness of it." It's not about having things spelled out for us, its about seeing something... ANYTHING... that makes it even vaguely believeable. The movies in essence say to us... "She fell in Love with him... Somehow... Just trust us."

It should indeed be tragic, that is indeed the point of Anakin. His fall is necessary to give poignancy to his redmeption. Problem is ultimately, thanks to crappy writing and acting/directing, he comes off not as tragic really but as a whiney petulant child, a goth poseur playing at being tragic.

The problem is Lucas, imo, lost sight of one of the key points of the prequels. In order of importance..

1. how Sidious ended up as the Emperor, over throwing the Republic.

2. How was the Jedi order wiped out.

2.5 how Obi-Wan and Yoda survive.

However equally important to number 1 is how did Anakin father the two greatest heroes of the Rebellion? What happened to the mother of his children? Lucas appeared to focus A LOT on all the other points, but then said "oh yeah...gotta get the romance in here somehow." The other plot lines led to where George is most comfortable, special effects and action, the romance didn't, so he put the romance, the most important part of the story due to it's impact, on the back burner.

Watch Episode V and Han and Leia's relationship blossoming. That was believable. There was good acting, chemistry between the two. The difference, Kasdan as a co-writer and a different director.

Call me crazy but I demand good writing and directing from my Sci-Fi and Fantasy to be well written and direct first, action scenes and special effects come after.

Edited by Ghisallo

It seems I'm never gonna be able to understand where people get this, Anakin/Luke were whiny thing....unless I'm looking at whiny in a completely different way then everyone else.

But moving on, there were scenes throughout the movies, that showed they were in love, short yes and not really detailed, but they were in there. The novels go more into their relationship, which yes I know it's taboo to mention the novels :rolleyes: but even still.

At any rate, yes the romance stuff was rushed...but I mean Romeo and Juliet was pretty much the same thing, in fact it was love at first sight for them and they just went off and got married. Least with Anakin/Padme it took at least some time...

But eh....so Lucas ain't good at romance, no one can be good at everything. The other stuff, I thought he did pretty well...especially Palps rise to power.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

There relationship was sick and broken in the clone wars cartoon he beats a man half to death for hitting on padme. That's not ok at all

There relationship was sick and broken in the clone wars cartoon he beats a man half to death for hitting on padme. That's not ok at all

Because Anakin is emotionally unhinged. Never said their relationship was ok. Besides it was more than just that with Anakin fighting Clovis, the guy wasn't also a good guy, he was a traitor. Him nearly kissing Padme just kinda went overboard.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Because Anakin is emotionally unhinged. Never said their relationship was ok. Besides it was more than just that with Anakin fighting Clovis, the guy wasn't also a good guy, he was a traitor. Him nearly kissing Padme just kinda went overboard.

There's emotionally unhinged and than there's criminally insane how someone as mentally unstable as a akin got a general position or a respected place in the galactic police monks (Jedi) is really odd do they not have phyc tests or job interviews before grieving people with magic power command authority?

It seems I'm never gonna be able to understand where people get this, Anakin/Luke were whiny thing....unless I'm looking at whiny in a completely different way then everyone else.

But moving on, there were scenes throughout the movies, that showed they were in love, short yes and not really detailed, but they were in there. The novels go more into their relationship, which yes I know it's taboo to mention the novels :rolleyes: but even still.

At any rate, yes the romance stuff was rushed...but I mean Romeo and Juliet was pretty much the same thing, in fact it was love at first sight for them and they just went off and got married. Least with Anakin/Padme it took at least some time...

But eh....so Lucas ain't good at romance, no one can be good at everything. The other stuff, I thought he did pretty well...especially Palps rise to power.

The portrayals are whiney period. Look at how Anakin pouts when Padme calls him "a padawan learner" or when he says "I hate you" to Obi Wan, in the final fight. Remove Ewan Macgregor from that scene and just look at Anakin and it becomes arguably the most painful to watch seen in any movie I have ever seen.

Please note I am not referring to how Anakin should be...it is rather the quality of the writing, acting and directing making him appear whiney. Hell if you read the dialogue of the entire movie you come to the following conclusion... Damn Lucas was lucky he got A List actors for all the other roles because if every actor in that movie was of the same "quality" of Hayden Christensen, the movies as a whole would be downright painful to watch, not just particular scenes. Luke was much the same way in the first movie. Did you forget his temper tantrum over Uncle Owen telling him "1 more harvest?" Again though this is down to questionable writing and directing being given to a novice actor. I get how the characters are SUPPOSED to be portrayed by Lucas does and excellent job of screwing things up.

Also bringing Romeo and Juliet in was a false analogy, and tbh ridiculous, sorry.

First as you said they fell in love at first sight. This is a fictional trope. If Lucas would have gone that route cool. I would have had no problem with a Romeo and Julietesque story with a twist on the tragic ending. He didn't though, he had the love evolve but showed us NOTHING of the evolution. Additionally Romeo and Juliet falling in love at first sight was two naive youths doing so intentional to illustrate the following points. 1. The raw power of emotion. 2. How love can bring about violence 3. The individual vs society/family.

Here we could say that Anakin was naive but not Padme. Padme was a precociously worldly and experienced young woman. Hell we need to be made to understand why she didn't say "Obi-Wan. Anakin is VERY troubled. I think he needs help. He just told me he wiped out an entire village of sand people" let alone fall in love with the budding psychopath.

Yes but look at all of the things that must fall into place for the wisest and test to miss it.

-Padme must keep silent in terms of Anakin's confession.

-Obi-Wan being conveniently knocked unconscious whenever Anakin goes and uses the dark side (such as when he kills Dooku.)

The most insulting is Yoda, Windu and the rest of the Jedi council seeing the clear signs of Anakin's, anger, and fear...hell Yoda had the clearest view and instead of pulling Anakin back they keep giving him more and more responsibility until he get promoted to Knight without going through the trials AND is allowed to sit on the Council?

It all completely beggars belief

It makes no sense she falls for him AFTER he comes to her saying "yep I wiped out an entire village." This caring loving person loses the will to live, if not for her but her children, because Anakin chose to be a homicidal maniac?

That was mostly Lucas writing himself into a corner. Padme had to give birth to the twins without Anakin knowing, but Anakin also had to be responsible for her death. So we get Padme deciding that someone else can deal with caring for her children in a galaxy fallen to darkness, she just can't live without her little Ani.:rolleyes:

On the contrary, the problem is that we only know about it because it was spelled out for us.

Lucas apparently believes that it's more important to just tell people what he wants them to think, rather than letting them reach that conclusion by showing them.

Anakin spends most of the movies whining and moaning about about how mean and critical Obi-Wan is and how he doesn't get enough respect, repeatedly sniping at him over petty stuff...but they're great friends and like brothers to eachother....we know because they occasionally say so.

The dialogue between Anakin and Padme is painfully stilted and awkward, they have no chemistry of any kind, but they're epic star-crossed lovers....we know because they occasionally say so.

Because over and over in the movies Anakin demonstrates that he's an egotistical prat who only 'cares' about others so long as it doesn't intrude on his ego? The Jedi don't respect him enough, Obi-Wan criticizes him too much, Padme doesn't realize that it's his destiny to rule the galaxy as a God Emperor, blah blah blah.

Anakin continually lets Palpatine lead him down the garden path just by telling him how special and important he is. Five minutes after he 'falls' to the Dark Side, supposedly out of love, he's butchering a room full of children, 5 minutes after that he's force choking the love he supposedly fell for, who is also carrying his children.

The story was supposed to be about Anakin's rise and fall as a noble hero...but instead we get a lot of whiny self-absorbed teenager who goes total psycho-sadist the minute he's let off his leash.

Edited by jovianus

That was mostly Lucas writing himself into a corner. Padme had to give birth to the twins without Anakin knowing, but Anakin also had to be responsible for her death. So we get Padme deciding that someone else can deal with caring for her children in a galaxy fallen to darkness, she just can't live without her little Ani.:rolleyes:

Thing is she could have died due to complications of child birth and Anakin really hurting her... BUT we can't have that can we... even though he did kill how many hundeds of younglings we can't have him actually in anyway directly responsible for her death. God I am actually wondering why I like star wars so much sometime tbh.

On the contrary, the problem is that we only know about it because it was spelled out for us.

Lucas apparently believes that it's more important to just tell people what he wants them to think, rather than letting them reach that conclusion by showing them.

Anakin spends most of the movies whining and moaning about about how mean and critical Obi-Wan is and how he doesn't get enough respect, repeatedly sniping at him over petty stuff...but they're great friends and like brothers to eachother....we know because they occasionally say so.

The dialogue between Anakin and Padme is painfully stilted and awkward, they have no chemistry of any kind, but they're epic star-crossed lovers....we know because they occasionally say so.

I actually think you maybe give too much credit to Lucas here. yes you are calling him an arrogant SOB but you are also inferring that the writing is intentional. I think it is because he is just a crap writer who has NO concept of Characterization. Just look at the difference between Luke, Leia and Han between Episode IV and V. The difference is striking in terms of characterization. yes on Dagobah Luke comes off a little bit whiney with the "it's too big" thing, but NO WHERE near where he was on Tatooine. Why? Kasdan. Kasdan wrote the final drafts of Empire using Lucas' as an outline with some input from the director. George Just can't write. (for people unfamiliar with Kasdan he wrote Raider's of the Lost Ark, the Big Chill, Silverado, Wyatt Erp, and one of my wife's favorite movies French Kiss... this guy knows characterization and dialogue. He is an artist, Lucas has always been and always will be a technician. There is a BIG difference.).

Hell do you want to even know WHY Anakin is Vader? originally that line in Empire was supposed to be a lie. However between films Lucas spoke with a child psychologist who recommended against it.... so we have the painful "point of view" speech and Yoda confirming it. Then we were going to have Han die in RoJ and Luke was supposed to ride off into the sunset. Nope bad for merchandising sales... change it. So we get everyone alive at the Ewok party... OI.

Because over and over in the movies Anakin demonstrates that he's an egotistical prat who only 'cares' about others so long as it doesn't intrude on his ego? The Jedi don't respect him enough, Obi-Wan criticizes him too much, Padme doesn't realize that it's his destiny to rule the galaxy as a God Emperor, blah blah blah.

Anakin continually lets Palpatine lead him down the garden path just by telling him how special and important he is. Five minutes after he 'falls' to the Dark Side, supposedly out of love, he's butchering a room full of children, 5 minutes after that he's force choking the love he supposedly fell for, who is also carrying his children.

The story was supposed to be about Anakin's rise and fall as a noble hero...but instead we get a lot of whiny self-absorbed teenager who goes total psycho-sadist the minute he's let off his leash.

Spoken as truth.

Edited by Ghisallo

You are all assuming she fell in love with Anakin after arriving on Tattoine but if you review the scenes on Naboo that is not truly the case:

Padme: No you listen! We live in a real world, come back to it. You're studying to become a Jedi, I'm... I'm a senator. If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, it will take us to a place we cannot go, regardless of the way we feel about each other.

Padme: We'd be living a lie. One we couldn't keep, even if we wanted to. I couldn't do that. Could you, Anakin? Could you live like that?

This doesn't sound like she didn't love him. It sounds like she didn't want him giving up his future for her and that she couldn't live a lie.

What changed:

Simple

Padme: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.

Anakin: What are you talking about?

Padme: I love you.

Anakin: You love me? I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.

Padme: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly... deeply... love you and before we die I want you to know.

She believed that they were going to die and she didn't want to die without him knowing the truth of her feelings.

Now have a nice day.

Actually Padme started to love Anakin in the first movie when they were both children. As much as people say the acting was poor in II and III Natalie Portman does a fantastic job when they meet for the first time in years. You can see it in Padme's eyes, she loves him without a doubt, she is just trying to smother it.

One of the few times you see chemistry between her and Hayden.

The portrayals are whiney period. Look at how Anakin pouts when Padme calls him "a padawan learner" or when he says "I hate you" to Obi Wan, in the final fight. Remove Ewan Macgregor from that scene and just look at Anakin and it becomes arguably the most painful to watch seen in any movie I have ever seen.

Please note I am not referring to how Anakin should be...it is rather the quality of the writing, acting and directing making him appear whiney. Hell if you read the dialogue of the entire movie you come to the following conclusion... Damn Lucas was lucky he got A List actors for all the other roles because if every actor in that movie was of the same "quality" of Hayden Christensen, the movies as a whole would be downright painful to watch, not just particular scenes. Luke was much the same way in the first movie. Did you forget his temper tantrum over Uncle Owen telling him "1 more harvest?" Again though this is down to questionable writing and directing being given to a novice actor. I get how the characters are SUPPOSED to be portrayed by Lucas does and excellent job of screwing things up.

I wasn't really going for an analogy. But anyway again I'm not sure I see this whiny thing like everyone else.

1. Padme called him that, in response to the one guy calling him a Master Jedi. He got frustrated because he was head of the security detail at the time, I didn't see anything whiny about that.

2. How is saying "I hate you!" something whiny?

3. With Luke, Owen was keeping him there time after time whereas all his friends were able to leave Tatooine. He even said there was more than enough droids for the harvest and yet Owen wasn't going to let him leave at all. Luke was more frustrated than whiny in that scene that he couldn't leave like his friends who kept leaving him behind.

Maybe I'm looking at whiny in a different POV compared to everyone else.

The only time, I could really see where Luke was 'whiny' was when he and Owen were buying the droids.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Its HOW he says "I hate you". Its HOW in the first Luke complains.

It really seems you are just trying to dodge that Lucas is a good technician and conceptualist, but a poor screen writer, and director. He also makes some incredibly poor casting decisions. I only say this because anyone looking at the performances critically can't ignore these nature of the performances which Lucas was solely responsible for...namely that they can be questionable at best.

As for the nit pick of some over timing...you can have feels for someone and think better of it. In this case, even if correct and she was firmly in love with him and had simply not acted on it...its is A) creepy and B) still makes no sense that she would decide to act on her feeling after she sees he is a homicidal lunatic.

I say creepy because she was 14, he was NINE. Do you know how many times parents call about the 19 year old " boy friend" of the 15 year old girl? I think I am seeing the double standard here that we see with teacher/student sex cases. Teacher a guy student a girl? OMG he took advantage. Teacher a lady student a boy? Damn where were those teachers when I was good owing up?

I think a bunch of us are saying that the romantic love vs fraternal love/fondness started after the murders because, if not, we have a worldly and precocious young woman who is a creeper whose love for Anakin would otherwise border of criminal. At least it becomes less creepy if we use the 2nd movie time line.

There is a difference between romantic and fraternal love and I think people claiming that Padme had romantic love for "Ani" in the first movie don't know the difference.

Edited by Ghisallo