Concept Changes to Tele Sage / Lightning Sorc.

RangKer

I would like to see a few spells/passives reworked actually (Mainly going to reference Lighting Sorc here), that would / should / could reduce the continuous Storm Spam; with the occasional CL thrown in.

Like Telekinetic Gust & Lightning Flash; though both are visually different they are one in the same. I feel that they should actually act like a fast casting filler spell that would traditionally benefit other spells with a stacking buff, but at a greater cost.

Lets say, for example: Like WoW's Warlock - Demonology Spec Hand of Gul'Dan / Chaos Wave. A Single Target spell that provides splash damage to a number additional enemies within range of the primary target.

Change TG & LF to having, let's say a 0.5 second cast time, without the CD and remove it from the GCD; each cast increases the amount of force used by 10% each time, making it detrimental if it is spammed, and run out of force pretty fast. While allowing it to provide a buff that stacks up to 3 times that lasts for 5-10 seconds.

This buff would allow spells (Sorc for example) like Force Lightning Lighting Strike, Thundering Blast and Lighting Bolt. These would allow cast based spells / abilities to produce their normal damage to the primary target but now include a minor AoE effect (Splash Damage) to any additional targets, that would take 30% Damage that would be traditionally provided by the Original Forked Lightning Passive.

The new Passive Concept Change of Forked Lightning would only allowing to hit up to 3 other targets that are with in range, spreading that splash damage by an equal amount. 3 = 10% damage to each; 2 = 15% damage to each; 1 target would gain the traditional benefit from having the second strike dealing 30% damage to the single target if no one else (NPC / PLAYER) are near by.

Allow only Force Lightning Lighting Strike, Thundering Blast and Lighting Bolt to be effected by this. though sounding OP, the cost to use this would be great. the FL buff would increase the cost of the force by 15% (each cast) normal casting, 25% every 2.5 seconds if channeled, allowing each spell use would use up a charge of the buff.

Tele / Lightning in my opinion have seemed to be the strong AoE Classes - to allow more focus to utilize their features to have that AoE strength, it needs to be addressed as such instead of being subjected to the two spells, while one - such as, Force Storm - which is very much abused, not just in PvP, but with in PvE as well.

Force Storm is fine damage wise; but in needs to come with a greater cost to reduce that spam. Increase the cost from 120 force by an additional 45%. If there is less then 3 targets with in area of Force Storm, place a damage penalty on it as well, cutting the damage down by 33%; but keep all of it's features the same.

There is more to Sage / Sorc then a few gimmicky abilities / spells. No need to nerf, nor buff the class. Just tweeking and regulations to allow it to truly shine for what it is. A powerful AoE class with decent Single Target DPS.

This just my thoughts on the matter on ways to reduce some, not all of the issues that are apparent. I know there are more, especially with other classes; good and bad.

That said. FL Spam needs to be reduced greatly. As much as I love my Sorc, it hurts seeing many (not all, but a great deal of them) new and old players alike just using that one spell with the occasional CL proc being used. on nearly EVERY encounter. Large groups, to single target mobs.

So, that being said; what are your thoughts on this concept?

Edited by RangKer
Spelling

SNIP

Why are you spamming Force Storm. You should only use it with Recklessness which means you aren't spamming. Every class has abilities they should spam when there is 2+ targets, Sorcerer has Force Storm, Powertech has Flame Sweep and so on and so forth.

If you see a new player (or a vet) spamming Force Storm continuously on a single target, they are just not playing the spec correctly, though on a group of 2/3 + you should use Chain Lightning (hard cast) > Force Storm > Chain Lightning (Instant). It doesn't mean the ability should be nerfed. It may SEEM like they're doing good DPS, but they're not. Can it kill weak/strong? sure who cares if they do dailies like that. You'll kill faster with a real rotation and actually using your abilities in a FP or Operation than a person spamming Force Storm.

No need to change, people who don't know how to play the class will continue to be bad and think Force Storm on everything solves the issue. If people don't understand the class, the solution isn't to change the class, it's to point out and teach them (or leave them be, some people just don't like that) why what they're doing is bad.

Edit - Also, your proposed changes to the spec sound (IMO) not that great. Lightning is burst, Madness is sustained, not single target vs AoE. Instant Chain Lightning every 5 GCD's is enough AoE damage and adding any more to other abilities will make it way too powerful. Force Storm is your AoE along with Chain Lightning, no need for more.

Edited by Aienir

I always enjoyed the idea of a Burst class that has more AOE utility, adding splash damage does make it that much more unique. With the idea that the selfhealing would have to be nerfed. Pretty much remove Dark Heal & Resurgence, and Take the HoT passive off of Static Barrier.

Reduce the damage percent and increase the use of force on all offensive abilities by 15% to allow the splash damage to compensate for the damage nerf.

Over all in the end, the class with preform the same in the end. Or create two stances to allow the said abilities to be toggled on and off from the concept.

SNIP

No. From a pve point of view your changes have no consequence, from a pvp point of view, these changes destroy strategic play without any further benefit (why would I want TB to break my teammates aoe mezz?). And 33% base nerf to force storm? Might as well unbind it then.

Ling is fine as it is... it only needs a slight nerf to crit damage of storm and a slight buff spread over its single target damage abilities, making it perform at the same level on single target fights as it currently is but not OP in multi-target ones.

EDIT: Why are you mentioning FL? It no longer exists in the 3.0 ling rotation....-_-?

SNIP

Remove healing abilities? What? What dcds are sorcs supposed to have then?

Edited by MusicRider

EDIT: Why are you mentioning FL? It no longer exists in the 3.0 ling rotation....-_-?

Not trying to sound rude, I thank you and everyone for their points, but you do know Forked Lightning is a passive that triggers a second attack from the spell you just casted right?

And 33% base nerf to force storm? Might as well unbind it then.

A damage nerf to the ability when there is less then a certain number of targets with in it's AoE.

3 or more = No Nerf

2 or Less = Nerfed

why would I want TB to break my teammates aoe mezz?

To be honest, there are more players today breaking CC targets by spamming their AoEs and tab targeting with out care or punishment from their teammates or even the game.

No. From a pve point of view your changes have no consequence

Remove healing abilities? What? What dcds are sorcs supposed to have then?

Increased Burst or utility means another must be fixed or addressed; which would lower be survivability.

And there would still be Force Barrier, Static Barrier, the Self Heal for DCDs - which would still be more and better then what other classes have.

create two stances to allow the said abilities to be toggled on and off from the concept.

This could work, but as well stance dancing is equally just as annoying.

Again thank you everyone so far for your counter points, though the support is limited and welcomed, I do like seeing the criticism as well, no Idea is with out flaws, and having insight from Aienir and Music allows that "critical thinking" to take place.