Pve as Bodyguard Spec...Need help.

hiddenpookie

i assume you overheat using offensive skills then die right after your companion.

i suggest you to respec to dps for those solo tasks or just spam basic attack and a couple of offensive moves right before using supercharge to vent heat, i suggest you also to gear your companion with your old gear and update yours every 3-4 levels with basic comms buying blue mods at planetary vendor

I haven't played a Merc healer in a while so what I'm about to say may not even apply.

But universally as a healer class, you got most of your combat abilities stripped from you. So your first mistake I think is go with the assumption that you are the one that needs to do the bulk of the killing. You literally have to depend on your companion for this as your companion will have more combat options than you do as a healer.

So make sure you select that right companion. I would recommend a tank so that it can pull all the agro from the boss and the assisting companions that come mid way through the fight. Then you just focus on keeping the companion alive in order to manage your heat.

Next, make sure your companion has the appropriate gear. It needs to be no lower than one level below your current level. I would even recommend buying some low level augments to slap on the companion's gear just so you get even a little edge. Even cheap level one augments are better than nothing.

Three , remember you have a stun. Use it even if it is only on one of the add ons. Keeping one out of the fight for a min, might make all the difference in the fight.

Four, is besure to have an appropriate level med pack, stim, and adrenal ready to use. I am not saying you aren't using these, but healers tend to forget to use them simply because they have the heals covered within their class spec.

Last, over healing is not a bad thing in solo boss fights. Slap your HOTs on the companion even before the fight starts. You have a second or two to do this after you initiate the fight at the terminal. Then regardless of your heal rotation, spam your HOT as soon as it is off cooldown.

Edited by ForceWelder

Gear out Torian. A lot of folks advise to use tank as a companion when you heal, but in my humble opinion that is flat out wrong tactic. The fact is, neither you nor your tank companion will be doing any damage, prolonging the fights and pushing you to dps yourself, overheat, and wipe. A dps companion will provide a constant stream of dps, with the attached requirement of you actually playing a healer spec, instead of dpsing yourself.

So gear out a dps, preferably a melee one (they do more aoe), so Torian it is for you. Put him in a dot stance, let him do the damage, and just make sure to heal him and maybe interrupt some big attacks, drop occasional death from above on the adds, and electronet/railshot on the boss, but do not go overboard dpsing yourself. You will eventually pull aggro by healing, and end up tanking, so you will switch to healing yourself, while Torian will make short work of remaining hps of the enemy.

Make sure you make use of your cooldowns: namely your shield and your kolto overload if things get tough. Always have kolto shell on, superchage whenever it is available to manage your heat better.

Have fun!

Speaking from experience here, btw. I levelled in a bodyguard spec from start to finish back in a day :). Having mako as first companion was painful, but things improved with gault, and later Torian. Never had any success with tank comps, during brief time I tried them, but then I was happy running with a dps in the first place.

Edited by rheia