Gunnery - Power vs Crit

jonchris

So I keep seeing Parses of 4k & 4.5k and for some reason I just cant seem to get to those numbers, in fact I cant get above 3.7k. I know I have the rotation down so I can only assume its a stats thing.

Pre 3.0 (I could be wrong!) I was of the thought that I should ditch all Crit for Power as it gave good results. Now I am not sure, so the question is what is a good Crit level and how much Surge is enough?

I currently have mostly 192 gear with a little 198 mixed in with a 2 set bonus (192), what should I by doing! I want to hit the highs of 4K and beyond but no matter what changes I make I just cant seem to get there.

A whole basket of things.

Firstly 4.5 is a freak parse for Arsenal and will be performed on a debuffed dummy of fixed health by someone with very high gear and practice specifically of killing a dummy of a fixed health.

Secondly you want majority power BUT this is hugely unimportant compared to

1) Having high levelled gear

2) Having the best-in-slot low endurance mods and enhancements

I'm making the assumption you have 100/110 accuracy by the way. This leaves 3-4 slots for surge and alacrity, it is not important what combo of them you use.

You say you're already fine with rotation, so gear and practice on a debuffed dummy with fixed health is all that's left.

Edited by Gyronamics

A whole basket of things.

Firstly 4.5 is a freak parse for Arsenal and will be performed on a debuffed dummy of fixed health by someone with very high gear and practice specifically of killing a dummy of a fixed health.

Secondly you want majority power BUT this is hugely unimportant compared to

1) Having high levelled gear

2) Having the best-in-slot low endurance mods and enhancements

I'm making the assumption you have 100/110 accuracy by the way. This leaves 3-4 slots for surge and alacrity, it is not important what combo of them you use.

You say you're already fine with rotation, so gear and practice on a debuffed dummy with fixed health is all that's left.

Thanks Gyronamics, great guide BTW, its the reason I know I have my rotation down :)

Got 100/110 accuracy and working on swapping out those comms mods for token ones. Its a slow process with a whole Ops group to gear!

Currently I have 325 Crit, 231 Surge and Power at 1195. Suppose its just a case of seeing how that scales with better gear etc.

Is that 3.7k on a dummy ?

I heal on my mando, so not really sure about gunnery numbers, but I put out more than that with my guardian with basic gear, so imho, it might not be _just_ gear at fault.

In any case, to answer the original question (to the best of my knowledge),

The general rule of thumb is that power is more beneficial to small hits, crit is more beneficial to big hits, (excluding ones that for whatever ability reason auto-crit).

As far as I know, gunnery is all about big hits, so my guess would be that you would need more crit than you would for arsenal.

Check your parsec damage breakdown after the parse, and see the damage% per ability.

But like Hotwired said, replacing high endurance mods / enhancements is most important. More _useful_ stats of whatever are better. Endurance has 0 dps gain per point :)