The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Heat management

Risstian

Hi everyone.

I currently have a level 28 Advanced Prototype Powertech, my question is what sort of rotation should i be using at this level to help manage my heat when on fights longer than 10 or 15 seconds. I always seem to over-heat even when i'm using my standard filler in between shots that use heat.

My usual rotation atm is to start with rocket punch to apply the armor debuff then my blade attack to apply the bleed, followed by rail shot then sticky dart to keep the bleed up then unload, then fill with magnetic blast while i wait for rail shot and rocket punch to come off CD. Usually by now i would be getting into the red area of my heat, which then means i have to just spam my standard blaster shots which use no heat and do hardly any damage. I use vent heat on CD to help but thats got a 2min CD.

Is there something i'm missing or is this just how things are with the class at this level? And do i just have to be careful not to get my heat too high in the first place?

Thanks for any help with this matter :D

.And do i just have to be careful not to get my heat too high in the first place?

Exactly!

1. Rail Shot already refreshes the bleed. No need to use Explosive Dart afterwards.

2. Casting Flame Sweep before engaging in combat or casting Explosive Dart as an DPS opener will proc Prototype Rail and makes your first Rail Shot free.

3. Rapid Shots are an active part of your rotation and heat management. Using 1 Rapid Shots between your Rail Shots will keep your heat always in the safe area. Start to practice with this.

With time and more practice (and better heat management tools at higher levels) you'll be able to minimize the use of Rapid Shots in your rotation and improve your DPS.

Edited by Sindariel

Ok thanks for the reply and to clarify what I thought. Just feels like a waste to use Rapid Shots as it seems to hardly hurt Strong or Elite mobs. But i guess its better to do a 1 rapid shot in between stronger shots than to be constantly spamming rapid shots for a lack of not being able to cast anything else due to over-heating.

Thanks again.

Ok thanks for the reply and to clarify what I thought. Just feels like a waste to use Rapid Shots as it seems to hardly hurt Strong or Elite mobs. But i guess its better to do a 1 rapid shot in between stronger shots than to be constantly spamming rapid shots for a lack of not being able to cast anything else due to over-heating.

Thanks again.

To be fair, your only level 28.

95% of the heat management in AP is from Prototype Particle Accelerator, which requires level 32. It resets the cooldown on Rail Shot and makes the next one free - Effectively giving you an extra 20 energy every 6 seconds to work with.

To be fair, your only level 28.

95% of the heat management in AP is from Prototype Particle Accelerator, which requires level 32. It resets the cooldown on Rail Shot and makes the next one free - Effectively giving you an extra 20 energy every 6 seconds to work with.

Damn. I mixed up Prototype Rail and Prototype Particle Accelerator. No wonder he has heat issues. :p