The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE Tanking Gear for a VG

DomiSotto

I am certain there is a Guide for it, and I will be looking it up, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I am about to start purchasing and crafting an 186 set for my VGT, and I was wondering are there any differences in gearing and augmentation for a PvE character over a PvP one?

I am certain there is a Guide for it, and I will be looking it up, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I am about to start purchasing and crafting an 186 set for my VGT, and I was wondering are there any differences in gearing and augmentation for a PvE character over a PvP one?

There is a HUGE difference for PvE tanking over PvP tanking.

In PvP tanking there are 2 viable options: High Endurance with shield/absorb in whats left, or DPS gear.

However, in PvE you want High Mitigation. Though don't be afraid to use B-mods.

The typical starting point for a PvE tank would be:

Shield Augments

Sturdiness (Shield/Absorb Crafted) enhancements

Highest level earpiece/implants you can get your hands on (Revanite > Deceivers > Resurrected > Massassi > Dread Master > Yavin = Advanced Anodyne/Frasium Veracity whateveritscalled)

B-Mods

Set Bonus armorings > 186 - 198 armorings > PvP Set Bonus armorings > old Set Bonus armorings (pre Kel Dragon)

Relics are Reactive Warding + Choice of Shield Amplification or Fortunate Redoubt

you have procs that happen because of shielding. These actually increase your absorbtion rating. The more you shield, the faster these proc, the faster they overlap. I sit at about 50% shield, 46% absorb at the moment. During combat I am usually at 53% shield and anywhere from 50 to 75% absorb (rough numbers) depending on where I am at with my stacks of power screen and if the energy blast proc is up. Shielding is definitely your bread and butter as a VG tank. Edited by Spor

I am personally augmenting endurance to increase my health pool then balancing my shields. You can't block when you're dead.

I won't presume to tell you how to play or what to do, but your thinking, while the common way of going about it, is actually hurting you more than helping you. It's a matter of Effective Health versus Absolute Health. Long story short, Effective Health will trump Absolute Health unless your Absolute Health reaches zero in the time it takes for the healer to land that heal. And even then, you are going to be what they refer to as "spikey". The more often your shields kick in, the more often your absorb rating can reduce the incoming damage even more (over base armor), thus making your health profile "smoother". It may not seem like a big deal at first, but your healers will love you for it.