Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

No need for boycott, but I learned my own lesson and will change behavior accordingly

King

they warned you they were going to review the drop rate and made changes.

what are people complaining about? you're acting as if they told you it was fine then switched things up. they clearly didn't. they clearly stated that they might change things.

if you gambled that's your choice to own.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that when someone spends real money, they (expect and) should get their money's worth of something in return. In this case it should be fun, whether it's the slot machine or not (they can remove it for all I care, and give people that bought them something else fun to play with that has no impact on the GTN). People were not buying a decoration, they were buying a fun toy.

Maybe that's just a hard concept for people to understand because: 1. They don't actually earn the money they're spending? 2. Or they just have none to spend?

If people feel cheated, it WILL affect their spending habits. I guarantee that BW has just slashed their income from future packs (by an unknown-to-me magnitude) by not responding to this concern (not one official response despite all of the concern that has been voiced). They can put all the cool items they want into the packs, but some people who have already lost money aren't going to trust that it won't happen again.

It seems that the same people trolling us for asking for a response are the ones that don't care whether BW makes any money on packs (because they don't buy them). BW would do well to listen to the people spending the money and actually respond.

They didn't rob you of anything.

Games change. Deal with it. They released it as part of a test run. The data, which had been collected since the machines release, showed that, while working as intended before release, the overall impact on Crew Skills/the economy was too high to be sustainable over a longer period of time. They changed it back afterwards.

No. This is just wrong. I'll take the powertech example for this. You could adjust his damage and health points by 99%. You would still not remove the class, you'd change it. Of course, it would be downright useless afterwards. You could still play it though, which means it hasn't been removed.

So, you say this: "I will not support this ridiculous attempt at robbing me. I will not stand for this half-backed, unfinished content. But I will continue to give you money.". I think you don't know what a boycott is. You don't start to boycott a major fast food chain, then go inside and say: "I will only buy a single burger. I won't order a menue, I'm boycotting them!".

You are quoting like 3 different people in response to me and I would hope that you can see the difference in spending 13 a month to spending a couple a hundred a month and what one can do for their bottom line. I will continue to only order a single burger even though I could afford a couple value meals because that is the only option I have to voice my opinion. I do not really have many options when it comes to Star wars MMO's they kind of have the market cornered on that so I have no choice but to remain playing and do what I can to try keep the game interesting and alive, for first and foremost myself, and secondly the community around me.

You are quoting like 3 different people in response to me...

No, I was quoting three different people to adress their concerns individualy. I do not have to make a single, dedicated post to each of them. I responded to what I wanted to respond in your post, as well as the other things I wanted to talk about.

I would hope that you can see the difference in spending 13 a month to spending a couple a hundred a month and what one can do for their bottom line.

There's a difference indeed.

I will continue to only order a single burger even though I could afford a couple value meals because that is the only option I have to voice my opinion. I do not really have many options when it comes to Star wars MMO's they kind of have the market cornered on that so I have no choice but to remain playing and do what I can to try keep the game interesting and alive.

You also have the option of not eating a single burger at all and try a different restaurant for once. There are some good MMORPG's out there, some of them even Buy2Play. I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself, but this won't keep me from unsubscribing once I feel I've seen everything there is to see for this content circle.

At least some people actually have the amusing position that they will cancel their sub together. Truth be told, I don't think your 300€ a month will scare Bioware. Nor will the 4 other people who have voiced support for your boycott. Some people would simply move on to another restaurant...

At least some people actually have the amusing position that they will cancel their sub together. Truth be told, I don't think your 300€ a month will scare Bioware. Nor will the 4 other people who have voiced support for your boycott. Some people would simply move on to another restaurant...

I'd love to see some actual stats on the percentage of players that participate in the forums, and what percent of those spend over $100 on the CM monthly. Maybe then we could extrapolate from the number of people complaining about the destruction of the machine against the forum population as a representative sample of the player base to know whether, in fact, it will have an impact on BW's earnings from the CM. Until then, speculation like this doesn't help either side of the argument.

Edit:

I'd also love to know what the ramifications for significant revenue loss from the CM may be. In the US, stockholders can sue and win if the people managing the product they invest in do not do everything in their power to maximize profits. So, not that there is, but if there is a significant impact on income from the CM due to this debacle (getting it so wrong to start with, then destroying it after people paid real money for it), might heads roll at BW? And I wonder what their community outreach officers could be doing in the meantime to head that off, because right now they seem to be doing nothing.

Edited by dwguy

No, I was quoting three different people to adress their concerns individualy. I do not have to make a single, dedicated post to each of them. I responded to what I wanted to respond in your post, as well as the other things I wanted to talk about.

There's a difference indeed.

You also have the option of not eating a single burger at all and try a different restaurant for once. There are some good MMORPG's out there, some of them even Buy2Play. I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself, but this won't keep me from unsubscribing once I feel I've seen everything there is to see for this content circle.

I want to play a Star Wars based MMO and this game is the only option, I'm not looking for a better MMO, I want a better Star Wars MMO. While it won't keep you from unsubscribing it does for me. They don't need to change things based on my decision to keep my money but I can still voice my opinion on the platform provided for doing so. Like I said people don't need to join my boycott but at this point I have very few ways to express my displeasure as a single subscriber but I will take the opportunity to do so by not spending a majority of my disposable income in their game anymore. It may very well not do anything to sway their decision but I hope that it would and it gives me piece of mind at the end of the day.

Doesn't change the fact they made a huge change to an item people paid real money for shortly after describing it as 'working as intended' without any announcement or discussion. Regardless of the semantics of calling it 'bait and switch', Bioware needs to come clean to the community (not in secret at a cantina event with only a handful of people in attendance) and there needs to be some form of compensation for everyone that owns a slot machine.

I think that everyone who bought the specific contraband packs and hyper-crates during the specific period of time should get a partial refund (say 50% of the cost of the specific contraband pack / hyper-crate). If someone bought one pack during the specific time frame, they get 50% the cost of that one pack. If they bought 10 hyper-crates of that specific contraband packs during the specific time frame, then they should get 50% of the cost of those 10 hyper-crates.

Even if a player didn't get a slot machine, he/she still spent cash to try to get one. Of course the reimbursements should be in Cartel Coins.

Edited by WorldSmasher

I think that everyone who bought the specific contraband packs and hyper-crates during the specific period of time should get a partial refund (say 50% of the cost of the specific contraband pack / hyper-crate). If someone bought one pack during the specific time frame, they get 50% the cost of that one pack. If they bought 10 hyper-crates of that specific contraband packs during the specific time frame, then they should get 50% of the cost of those 10 hyper-crates.

Even if a player didn't get a slot machine, he/she still spent cash to try to get one. Of course the reimbursements should be in Cartel Coins.

What about the people who got it and sold it for 4mil on the GTN, the compensation to go to those who have placed slot machines in their strongholds.

I could live with that as a solution... since other stuff did show up...

It strikes me as a reasonable balance...

they warned you they were going to review the drop rate and made changes.

what are people complaining about? you're acting as if they told you it was fine then switched things up. they clearly didn't. they clearly stated that they might change things.

if you gambled that's your choice to own.

They left changes UNDOCUMENTED. They only released notes on a specific set of things they were changing, and then changed EVERYTHING, and had the gall to act like they'd done nothing other than what was in the notes.

Yes. If Bioware chooses to do this, and if it is what they wanted to do after they announced "adequate changes". That was what they said they would do. Make changes as they see fit.
So you're also ok with undocumented nerfs? Specifically nerfs that happened less than 12 hours after the nerf was announced?

I'd also love to know what the ramifications for significant revenue loss from the CM may be. In the US, stockholders can sue and win if the people managing the product they invest in do not do everything in their power to maximize profits.
Which pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with Corporate America, and why we had the 2008 financial crisis. Edited by DurdensWrath

What about the people who got it and sold it for 4mil on the GTN, the compensation to go to those who have placed slot machines in their strongholds.

I have to disagree with that. The player who paid 4 mil credits, paid with in-game currency. The player who bought the pack, paid in Cartel Coins, which he bought with real life money. The ones who paid for the packs should get the reimbursement, not the guy who bought it from the GTN.

I only bought them after seeing the "working as intended" post by BW. I was sure it was screwy and thought that the purples drop rate would be set back significantly, did not expect the nerf that came down. The walker feels cheap too, like I got one from reputation on Yavin. I am an avid collector of mounts and would have still been happy with a new mount like a WAMPA but to give us a recycled 1:100000 drop is pretty cheap. I don't mind sinking credits for a long shot if the long shot is new and rare.

The "working as intended" post you're referring to was actually a "not exploit but going to be adjusted" post. Reading comprehension, it will help your frustration in the long run, get some.

The "working as intended" post you're referring to was actually a "not exploit but going to be adjusted" post. Reading comprehension, it will help your frustration in the long run, get some.

Likewise, you should follow your own advice... Eric specifically said "Jawa Junk", which is just the purple scrap...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.