Tips for a returning Sage?

kjryx

I'm trying to pick up my level 30 sage where I left off years ago. I'm a recently returning player, and have gone to Dulfy and seen the 3.0 guide...and it's probably great for a level capped person. But at level 30, trying to use the healer companion, I seem to be...weak. I'm trying to run as balance, which may be part of my problem. And it probably wouldn't hurt to really check my gear.

Beyond possibly going to another spec, and checking my gear...any tips for a returning sage? I enjoy PvP, and may just go healing all around (if it's possible to level in a healing spec?).

I'd love to know this as well. I just hit 10 on a new toon after being away a few years. I'm thinking of going TK, but the only good guide out there seems to be for people who have leveled already. Any tips would be great.

This is a very good question. I am level 60 now, but at level 30 I did switch to Balance (I use TK now, and am not a big fan of playing healer - at all) and used that all the way up until I hit the cap.

I've only Tharan on a handful of occasions, and used Qyzen until I got Nadia, and then Nadia until I unlocked HK-51 (On Nadia, I would more often than not use the periodic damage stance). However, if Tharan is fully outfitted he can be very helpful.

It was a really smooth process, and I'm not too sure of the problems you may be having but I'll just throw in all the info I think may be relevant:

I, still to this day, use my utilities on: Pain Bearer (will boost Tharan's healing on you, as well as your own - in particular Rejuvenate, Benevolence, and Force Mend. This will also be a very substantial heal once you gain access to the Valiance utility at 35 - this also gives you a great way to refill you force points in WZs.) In addition to Pain Bearer, I always run Upheaval for some extra burst in the rotation, and Tectonic Mastery for obvious reasons.

As far as rotation, even though the guides recommend against it - I put Mind Crush on low priority. Get your spreadable dots up first, and then force in balance (provided the enemies are grouped in PvE) and then forcequake. For stronger enemies (usually Elite or higher) open up with Mind Crush, and then use the above method. Toss in a Project, as often as possible, in between quakes (Telekinetic Throw is also good to throw in if you need to reapply Mind Crush - because the channel timer is close to the same as the activation timer for Mind Crush, and it will keep the DPS flowing too).

In addition to this, of course making sure your gear is within a few levels of your current level is paramount. I apologize if this is a bit unorganized, but I hope this helps.

I'd love to know this as well. I just hit 10 on a new toon after being away a few years. I'm thinking of going TK, but the only good guide out there seems to be for people who have leveled already. Any tips would be great.

With TK, I would recommend the same utilities - they have served me very well on every discipline. The only difference, would be instead of Valiance I flip between Telekinetic Defense and Kinetic Collapse (the former being better for PvE in my opinion).

Once you get Turbulence that is going to be used as often as possible for the most part, but at your level - and even in most PvE situations (except for bosses, etc) I would open with Telekinetic Wave and then Forcequake. At level 12 this will allow you to rotate between just these two abilities with great success. You can wait until quake is finished to recast Telekinetic Wave, but I usually do it about half way through or so and it seems to balance out the procs and timers fairly well. Project is helpful in between abilities as well.

Again, my apologies if this is too messy - but please feel free to ask any questions I may have left unanswered!

Edited by TitusOfTides

Thank you kindly, this is great to get started. I've unlocked Treek on all accounts, is she best used as a healer instead of a tank?

Tank. She takes the damage and after a fight can be instantly healed up by rocket boost or mount/unmount your speeder, which results in no down time and hence faster levelling.