The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I could use a beginners guide to PT!

Lajnux

I played SWTOR for a week during launch but had to stop for personal reasons. However, I recently had the chance to start playing again and I decided to roll a pyrotech (lvl 20 as we speak). What I need from you guys is a beginners guide to the pyrotech. I'm focusing on DPS at the moment and I could really use some help when it comes to builds, what skills to use and stuff like that. I feel like I'm swimming in skills and I have no idea how to use them in the best possible way.

Thanks in advance!

I played SWTOR for a week during launch but had to stop for personal reasons. However, I recently had the chance to start playing again and I decided to roll a pyrotech (lvl 20 as we speak). What I need from you guys is a beginners guide to the pyrotech. I'm focusing on DPS at the moment and I could really use some help when it comes to builds, what skills to use and stuff like that. I feel like I'm swimming in skills and I have no idea how to use them in the best possible way.

Thanks in advance!

Well while I may have an end-game guide to Powertech DPS up on dulfy, Pyro is different to AP in that its easier to follow and the rotation is still pretty similar only with 1-2 differences.

For reference: http://dulfy.net/2014/12/08/swtor-3-0-powertech-advanced-prototype-and-pyrotech-dps-guide-by-kwerty/#Pyrotech

You dont have to worry about the gearing section until you get to level 60 and start actually gearing up, but rotationally almost nothing changes.

Though note before you get Superheated Flamethrower, you're better off just using Flaming Fist + Rail Shot on cooldown (and eventually Incendiary Round and Immolate as well), and flame burst whenever you have the heat for it. Also note that without Flame Barrage @ level 56, you probably won't have the heat for a full 3-stack Superheated Flamethrower on cooldown.

Anyway, i'm about to leave the house for a bit so when I come back I'll give a more detailed explanation into leveling with Pyrotech.

Edited by TACeMossie

Thank you, kind sir! I'm looking forward to it. And if you can, I would appriciate it if you can break it down as much as you can and keep it basic enough for me to grasp the information since I feel like a total newb (only been playing for two days).

Here we go: Nice big list of rotations:

How to level with pyrotech (starting at level 20):

Note: This assumes an AoE rotation

It also assumes you pick up the utility "Engulfing Flames". In a single target rotation, you would swap out Flame Sweep for Flame Burst.

Also note that prior to the discipline ability "Superheated Flamethrower" picked up at level 40, you are better off using Full Auto in place of Flamethrower in a single target rotation, as it will do slightly more damage, and it will be cheaper (and until level 56 you have to watch your heat bar).

Another thing to note is that these rotations are assuming a group of mobs with 1 much stronger one to focus on. If its just a group of weak mobs, just spam AoE attacks, while if its a single mob you would follow the rotations below (only swapping Flame Sweep for Flame Burst)

Finally, in the earlier rotations I admit I was too lazy to do maths on it, however where it has Flame Sweep/Rapid Shots, simply pick the one that will keep your heat as close to 5 as possible. You should repeat this process until you have repeated it the amount specified (e.g. the level 20 rotation has a Rapid Shots/Flame Sweep x5 section - in that section, your next 5 attacks should either be rapid shots or flame sweep depending on what level of heat you have)

Ability names:

Scorch = SCH

Incendiary Missile = IMS

Flamethrower = FT

Flaming Fist = FF

Rail Shot = RS

Flame Sweep = FS

Immolate = IML

Rapid Shots = RPS

Flame Burst = FB

Current Rotation:

FT -> FF -> RS -> RPS/FS x4 -> FF -> FS ->

FT -> RPS -> RS -> FF -> RPS/FS x5

Next Change: 26 - Incendiary Missile

IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> RPS/FS x4 -> FF ->

IMS -> FT -> RPS -> RS -> FF -> RPS/FS x4

Next Change: 28 - Heat Flow Recycler

IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> RPS/FS x4-> FF ->

IMS -> FT -> RPS -> RS -> FF -> RPS/FS x4 ->

Next Change: 40 - Superheated Flamethrower

IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> RPS/FS x5 ->

Next Change: 41 - Immolate

IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> RPS/FS x2 -> IML -> RPS/FS x2 ->

Next Change: 56 - Flame Barrage

FS -> IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> FS -> RPS -> IML -> FS ->

FF -> IMS -> FT -> RPS -> RS -> FS -> FF -> IML -> FS ->

Next Change: 57 - Scorch

SCH -> IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> FS -> RPS -> IML -> FS ->

Next Change: 60 - Set Bonus's

SCH -> IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> FB -> RPS -> IML -> FS ->

SCH -> IMS -> FT -> FF -> RS -> FS -> RPS -> IML -> FS ->

As you can see, it does get more complicated as time goes on. Also note you can completely ignore Rapid Shots if a fight is going to end real soon, as you can just recover heat out of combat.

Edited by TACeMossie