What is RP server?

uzayadam

For myself, I made the choice to use a RP server ad my experience in other games is that generally the people are going to take some care to make their characters more fitting for the environment they are in (not named Captain Cheezypoof or Cpl Poopypants) and will take some care to follow the basic lore etc.

Turns out in SWTOR this is not the case.

I try not to much up other peoples RP and will even join on occasion, but mostly have long 'outgrown; the typical overwrought crazy dramatics people 'RP' and act like its something new or unique.

People who RP publicly through /general etc, annoy the bejeezers out of me. People who use say and /emote and keep it local, I think are awesome and sometimes I'll sit and watch even if I am not joining in, if they are good.

The people who think RP = TinySex (aging myself with that term) really annoy the piss out of me.

Basically though, RP just means be tolerant of people who want to make up stories about their character and act them out, make your character appropriately named, and try to be kind and not throw in a lot of non star warsy stuff in anything but decidedly 'ooc' communications like /general and even then, its good manners to keep it at a minimum.

In the past it had always felt like the 'adults' server. On the server I play most on (Jung Ma, started on ven zallow but multiple merges...) its PVP RP so there is also a contingent of jerks with tiny e-peeners who thought they were going to go pvp bully the drama geeks. They name themselves inappropriately and thankfully, don't always stick around too long.

But you haven't, which is the point of this discussion and wrong claim of telling the OP how it is.

I could have just as easily lied, and told that I've been nowhere else BUT RP servers, and no one would have argued.

See, this is what honesty gets you folks, straw men.

My biggest regret was not joining the RP-PVP server. I just thought it was redundant, because this is a mmoRPg and to top it all off, this is Star Wars. Anyone who grew up with Star Wars understands, it's all role play. A story that invites you to participate, be it through video games, action figures, Halloween, cosplay, graphic novels, video games, board games, etc, it's an inviting world, where you play as if you really are in it.

I can't leave my server now, because of the hundreds of fellow guild members on both factions. What I learned is that way too many players don't realize they are playing a role playing mmo and that they are by default inside the Star Wars Universe.

People pick the Jedi class, not understanding anything about it. They pick the trooper class not understanding anything about it. They think in terms of stats and numbers, as if it was more of a card game than a mmo role playing game. The game itself was introduced by a huge cosplay scene at Times Square. Gamers need to understand, once you spark that lightsaber, you better know how to use it. This isn't poker.

good lord, so much negativity.

role playing servers, just like any other server are a mixed bag. there are nice people, there are trolls, depending on a time of the day, location and your general luck - you can run into people you want to reach through the screen to choke, or you can have long involved fascinating lore conversations. there is a lot of rp that is, well.. questionable, but Sturgeon law is universal. doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying

the difference between rp and regular server, like others have said? is that you can actualy find active roleplayers there. sometimes there might be public events. sometimes, roleplayers weary of trolls - create safe spaces, unaccesible to general public - this is especially possible now, with strongholds.

no you don't have to be a roleplayer to play on a roleplaying server. just be respectful when others do - which basically means move along and leave them to it, even if whatever it is they are playing out makes you roll your eyes.

and contrary to some of the negativity here- yes you can report trollish behavior, yes it gets taking care of, and no its not just SWTOR - from personal experience, SWTOR tends to have one of the nicer communities, compared to some of the other MMO's I've played.

I've read enough discussions about RP servers and moreover the kinda people that play and troll there to know. It's the exact same on every game.

Then you need to clearly read more because SW:TOR RP server experience is NOT common or consistant with other games RP servers.

What I learned is that way too many players don't realize they are playing a role playing mmo and that they are by default inside the Star Wars Universe.

People pick the Jedi class, not understanding anything about it. They pick the trooper class not understanding anything about it. They think in terms of stats and numbers, as if it was more of a card game than a mmo role playing game. The game itself was introduced by a huge cosplay scene at Times Square. Gamers need to understand, once you spark that lightsaber, you better know how to use it. This isn't poker.

RP'rs are a very small minority in this game. Characterizing the majority as somehow how playing the game "wrong" is just the tail attempting to wag the dog.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.