The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard/PT Tanking w/ mitigation stats guide?

LadyAdmiral

Add up your Shield Rating, Defense Rating, and Absorb Rating to determine your total stat budget. Once you do that, follow this guide based on what your current budget is.

For example: lets say you have a total stat budget of 3200. Using his Average table, you would look for

[3200,{defense->540,shield->1499,absorb->1160}}] under the Vanguard spoiler. This means that you would want to add/take away Shield Chance until your rating gets around 1499, add/take away some Shield Absorption till it gets around 1160, and add/take away some Defense till it gets around 540.

You want to get as close to those numbers as you can given your current Total Stat Budget. The example above would be the most optimal, average mitigation for a stat budget of 3200. If you wanted to gear for some extra Endurance, just use the lettered B mods while trying to keep your ratings around the figures they need to be at for your Total Stat Budget.

Hello, I have already seen Milas's great guide. Milas advocates HP over mitigation because their guild works on new content undergeared. I'm in a more average guild that does content at a more normal pace and they have recommended mitigation over HP.

Is there any guides up about stats for mitigation?

He also mentions that while he may be currently using more HP over mitigation, his end goal is pure mitigation (though with B-mods). Keyboardninja's thread is a good example of the distribution for defense to absorb, but in pretty much all cases you want 14 shield augments

KnightTyler - Thank you so much for posting!! I'd found your guide pre-3.0 and was so happy to have found it, that chart is crazy useful and easy to understand. Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

TACeMossie - Thank you, good to hear, I'll get started on my augments then :)

KnightTyler - Thank you so much for posting!! I'd found your guide pre-3.0 and was so happy to have found it, that chart is crazy useful and easy to understand. Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

No problem, but its not my guide it is KeyboardNinja's aka KBN. He does most of the tank theorycrafting on these forums and has really informative posts.

Hi there! There are many ways to go about optimizing a tank set, as there's no one way that yields the best performance for every encounter or damage profile, plus there's two general ways to deal with tanking damage (MMP and TTL, including numerous combinations that try to balance the two).

You may find this tool helpful in finding out what works best for you: :cool:

http://www.kamikazetank.com