What are the Sent/Mara AOE options?

CycloH

I'm curious to know what has been working for the Sent/Mara community in terms of AOE. It feels (compared to Sage/Sorc, Merc/Mando, even Guardian/Jugg) that our AOE is like... at the bottom of the barrel.

Reason I bring this up... in the new ops, some fights are clearly AOE fights (Bulo, maybe Underlurker because of the Lurkerling adds?, Commanders for sure etc), and it just feels like we really don't have a competitive AOE spec in Concentration to be able to contribute effectively... am I wrong about that? I mean, it could be that I just don't have a strong feel for Concentration yet, and we haven't got any good guides on how to play it yet... but still, just really curious to see how everyone else is fairing comparatively speaking. Are we really limited to just throwing up a dot, and force sweeping along with a couple cyclone slashes? really? Been doing that in raids and it's kinda pathetic compared to the other classes in the raid.

The other thing that bugs me a little about Concentration... I was hearing that Concentration is really capable of some incredible DPS, somewhere in the range of 4700-4800 (on the dummy) even in maybe 198 gear (but still), I just can't see the true potential of the spec yet.

Watchman is kinda nice as an AOE, due to the spreading on DOT. None of the current fights need heavy AOE.

Bulo: You should be touching the adds.

Underlurker: They are too far apart for smash to hit and is better to just burn down one.

Commanders: Adds have so little HP that they die quickly anyways.

sent/mara AOE option or skill tree called focus/rage was completely gutted thanks to the whiners

we dont have aoe that is competitivel with other classes that much is fact

concentration *garbage name* and fury should have been our AOE dicipline but bioware didnt liked it that rage/focus could autocrit smash/forcesweep on noobs that liked standing near eachother for 5k-9k each

in short no we dont have aoe options that are solid like commando's/mercs, snipers/gunslingers and other specs

combat/carnage has the best aoe for pve out of the sentinel specs with the cyclone slash dmg buff utility , precision , ataru procs on all guys aoed and berserk/zen. Its actually better than smash was when things stack as surreal as this sounds. Edited by AngusFTW

combat/carnage has the best aoe for pve out of the sentinel specs with the cyclone slash dmg buff utility , precision , ataru procs on all guys aoed and berserk/zen. Its actually better than smash was when things stack as surreal as this sounds.

Whoa... interesting nugget of info.

Have you ran it in raids? Which boss and how did you fare compared to the other classes in your group? Just curious.

I haven't really raided seriously enough this patch to compare tbh just a couple of the new sm runs and 1 boss in hm filling in (i am more a pvper) but you're looking at pretty crazy numbers with it.. you can get like 20k dps jus spamming it on that massssive lagfest trashpack for example and 8-10k+ easy on the more common trash packs that are stacked up just by spamming it.... xD I don't think it has much use in most of the boss fights but it is def handy for clearing trash.. Edited by AngusFTW

Preface... I'm no expert... just my 2cents worth take it as you may.

Fury for the Mara seems to be the primary AOE spec however it also has a single target as well.

Smash being the primary AOE and Raging Burst burst for single target. Although it seems a little slow to build as you need 3 stacks of Destruction. Also some other abilities increase the damage. If you are already 51 you can get Brooding so you start with 30 stacks of Fury.

Here is my craptastic rotation basically.

Brooding (30 fury stacks) -> Force Charge ->Berserk while in air ->Battering Assault-> Smash(should give you a auto crit via Dominate(Force Charge/Obliterate),Decimate gives 40% damage increase,Destruction 15% damage increase via 3 stacks of Destruction)

Filler to rebuild fury/Destruction.... Pop Berserk if neede/ AOE if needed again I can either Smash or run through and loop back to Obliterate/Charge again to get the autocrit.

For a single target filler for Fury/Destruction build then use Raging Burst which uses the 3 stacks of Destruction. You could also use Force Flagellation(passive) after Raging Burst it Overwhelmeds targets for 10% more damage from a follow up(Pop Berserk for 3 stacks of Destruction) Smash.

Again I'm no expert. Hope it helps.