Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why are shadows so taxing?

Thecooljason

I was wondering why shadows where so taxing in SWTOR. I can run the game around 40-70 fps with shadows on low or off, but as soon as I turn them on my fps tanks to 5-20. I run AMD phenom II x 6, 8gb ram, and a HD 5670.

I know that my graphics card isn't great, but I play other games like skyrim, starcraft 2, and other WOW on high with shadows and get great fps. The shadows in SWTOR aren't even that good looking. It seems that, judging by appearance, I should be able to have shadows with ease.

Its not a game breaker for me, but I really would like to have shadows. And I just can't understand why a can run shadows in games with much better graphics, but some how the SWTOR's engine produces poorer looking shadows, and takes better hardware to do so.

I was wondering why shadows where so taxing in SWTOR. I can run the game around 40-70 fps with shadows on low or off, but as soon as I turn them on my fps tanks to 5-20. I run AMD phenom II x 6, 8gb ram, and a HD 5670.

I know that my graphics card isn't great, but I play other games like skyrim, starcraft 2, and other WOW on high with shadows and get great fps. The shadows in SWTOR aren't even that good looking. It seems that, judging by appearance, I should be able to have shadows with ease.

Its not a game breaker for me, but I really would like to have shadows. And I just can't understand why a can run shadows in games with much better graphics, but some how the SWTOR's engine produces poorer looking shadows, and takes better hardware to do so.

Shadows are a very expensive thing to do no matter how you do it. Also Skyrim and other games have been known to have the same issue with SWTOR and crappy shadows.

Shadows are a very expensive thing to do no matter how you do it. Also Skyrim and other games have been known to have the same issue with SWTOR and crappy shadows.

No, I just checked, and Skyrim's shadows are stunning. And I get 30-40 fps on high with shadows. I get way lower fps than that in SWTOR, and they don't look as good.

That being said, shadows don't make a game, and I still love SWTOR <3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.