Missile Blast now more viable than Fusion Missile for Arsenal?

toomanyluigis

Since Fusion missile got a pretty big nerf in 3.0 missile blast now surpasses it in terms of damage. As an Arsenal spec my tooltip at this time says, Fusion missile does 1283-1423 kinetic damage and an additional 1579 elemental damage to up to 8 targets within 8 meters.

Missile blast does 3342-3495 kinetic damage to the main target and 1633-1786 to 7 other targets with 5 meters but only limited to standard and weak enemies only.

Since both have the same heat cost (20 heat) for arsenal it looks like missile blast is superior at single target damage than Fusion Missile but in terms of AOE damage Fusion missile seems only slightly better.

What are your thoughts on this?

More viable at what?

Fusion Missile is a proper AOE with quite a bit of delay on the damage.

Missile Blast is an expensive single target instant attack with light splash and single target knockdown on really weak mobs.

Fusion Missile you use when you want AOE

Missile Blast is the last thing you'd use for AOE and the last thing you'd use for single target.

UNLESS you want something right now to chunk damage one target or splash an entire team.

That situation happens in solo pve, in pvp in various scenarios and in occasional raid pve where you're forced to move too much to cast.

Any time you used to use Explosive Dart vs single target you would now use Missile Blast. Explosive Dart got the same treatment as Fusion Missile and became junk at single target.

It's less cost effective but it's instant.

I'm going to have a agree with the above post, for Arsenal you should use Fusion Missile over Missile blast. Solely for the fact that you can combine it with Thermal Sensor Override and Power surge to give you a nice free instant AoE that does pretty good damage and is not nearly as taxing on your heat as spamming missile blast.

I would only ever say use missile blast for when you are on the move and you can spare the heat, while needing to clean up an add or throw out that little bit of dps.

why choose? why not both? why not add dart too?

its all situational... if i get the first shot ill use FM... if not i might use middle as i can get 2 off in just slightly more time than 1 FM once you factor in GCD.

dont get locked into 1 skill when you have options, learn when to use the options effectively

why choose? why not both? why not add dart too?

Dart is trash for single target. Fusion is not worth for single target except with IO and even then PS is better for most of a fight.

Missile Blast costs too much to be a first choice for AOE or single target but it has situational uses as mentioned by me above.

Dart is trash for single target. Fusion is not worth for single target except with IO and even then PS is better for most of a fight.

Missile Blast costs too much to be a first choice for AOE or single target but it has situational uses as mentioned by me above.

you are operating on old data my freind...

MB and FW have the same heat cost now, and depending on how you spec dart can hit failry well.. no not as good as the others. but toss it in and a couple MB when it detonates and you add burst.

let go of the old ways, embrace the new, lol

you are operating on old data my freind...

MB and FW have the same heat cost now, and depending on how you spec dart can hit failry well.. no not as good as the others. but toss it in and a couple MB when it detonates and you add burst.

let go of the old ways, embrace the new, lol

Spec what?

This is the Commando/Merc forum, we get no bonus to dart.

Embrace the tooltip data which tells you that dart hits for slightly more than a default attack on one target.

Embrace the tooltip data which tells you that missile blast costs 5 more and hits for less compared to your proper single target attacks.

In what situation would you single target with dart then spam with missile blasts and have it make sense.

Spec what?

This is the Commando/Merc forum, we get no bonus to dart.

Embrace the tooltip data which tells you that dart hits for slightly more than a default attack on one target.

Embrace the tooltip data which tells you that missile blast costs 5 more and hits for less compared to your proper single target attacks.

In what situation would you single target with dart then spam with missile blasts and have it make sense.

i did not say you would necessarily do that, what i said is that they all have uses pending the situation. Limiting yourself to a rigid set rotation doesn't help the cause is my point. Its about options.. and not getting stuck on 3 buttons. If all you want to talk about is step 1 of a 10 step fight, then your right, but if you think thru past the opener it isnt a cut and dry... and FM itself isnt likely to take out anyone so you kinda have to think about steps 2-9 a little

However, in response to your comment i suggest you look up Ironsights in the discipline tree regarding bonus to darts which also affect missiles equally, but its there. Plus you are wrong on the costs, they are the same, dont believe me check your own tooltip you referred me to.. again you are out of date.

Additionally your comment about dart doing slightly more then default is also wrong in that it does that to up to 8 targets, not one in terms of AoE

Thing is all of this assume AoE, which im not even sure the OP had in mind...

Single target, FM will do a total of about 2250 over 6 seconds and cost you 20 heat.. Missile Blast will do roughly the same damage in a single global cooldown to a single target not even counting the AoE components for the same heat, plus its an instant so the damage is there faster and cant be interrupted etc... so the short answer to the question is that it would seem that MB is not only viable, but logical.

My point., is that in combining them, you are both smarter and stronger. Think outside the box my friend

Pretty sure i did as i addressed the points.. meh, whatever.. do as you will, its your game time im just trying to help

You are both wrong.

(A) Hail of Bolts

(B) Hail of Bolts

Rotation for death to everything:

A > B > A > B >

*Please note that once you are done channeling A, you channel B, and then you channel A again, once A is done then you channel B. Please do not confuse the two because then you would not do as much damage the right way that you need to do it.

Also make the note--DPS numbers are prone to not always doing the big DPS, sometimes you will do the big DPS's and then you won't. Most of the time you will though, so this way is better.

Pretty sure i did as i addressed the points.. meh, whatever.. do as you will, its your game time im just trying to help

Read what I said here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7874892&postcount=2

Read what situation I'm talking about here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7881328&postcount=6

Read what I'm saying MB costs 5 more heat than here:

Read exactly what I said dart does slightly more damage than a default attack on here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7882135&postcount=8

You managed to read AOE where AOE was never said and then continued talking to yourself about the wrong thing.

Then read the OP where he's talking about wanting thoughts on fusion missile vs missile blast single target here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7874793&postcount=1

Edited by Gyronamics

You are both wrong.

(A) Hail of Bolts

(B) Hail of Bolts

A > B > A > B >

*Please note that once you are done channeling A, you channel B, and then you channel A again, once A is done then you channel B. Please do not confuse the two because then you would not do as much damage the right way that you need to do it.

Also make the note--DPS numbers are prone to not always doing the big DPS, sometimes you will do the big DPS's and then you won't. Most of the time you will though, so this way is better.

also true and viable but as said im not thinking of one skill, im combining them for added benefit

Read what I said here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7874892&postcount=2

Read what situation I'm talking about here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7881328&postcount=6

Read what I'm saying MB costs 5 more heat than here:

Read exactly what I said dart does slightly more damage than a default attack on here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7882135&postcount=8

You managed to read AOE where AOE was never said and then continued talking to yourself about the wrong thing.

Then read the OP where he's talking about wanting thoughts on fusion missile vs missile blast single target here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7874793&postcount=1

yes, i read your comments the first time, and pointed out your errors... as i said, so what you wish, its your sub and its clear your not really open to discussion on the matter so.. have a peachy day

You are both wrong.

(A) Hail of Bolts

(B) Hail of Bolts

A > B > A > B >

I approve this message... especially when running around doing low-level Flashpoints like the Esseles with my level 60 for ***** and giggles.

Without any spec my Missile Blast does 15% more damage than my Fusion Missile; both cost 20 Heat.

MB is pure kinetic dmg. FM is split half kinetic, half elemental.

Would I use MB before FM? **** no. MB suffers damage reduction via armour. FM only suffers it for half the damage. Even if you have Sundered the target, FM still beats MB, because they both gain that buff.

There is not an iota of damage, crit, or surge increase to either MB, FM or ED in Arsenal. - If you use any of these abilities as part of your single target dps in Arsenal, you are a retard. No if, no buts, no may be's; full blown retard.

MB has some uses in PvP; for example stopping a multi-cap. Power Surge+FM also does the trick.

If its a single target - use Rapid Shots.

Only in Innovative Ordnance do you dare touch FM or MB as part of your single target rotation.

FM can be use instead as a Filler instead of PS, as FM deals 25% more dmg, cost 15 heat, and has a 6.5s shorter cd, and deals about the same amount of base dmg.

FM still does not gain any surge bonus, but gains a +3% crit chance, and increase periodic dmg to targets lower than 30% health.

The only time an IOmerc touches MB is when Volatile Warhead is proc'd. 10 less heat and 75% more damage.

To the OP - Don't touch FM or MB as part of Arsenal single target dps. Stick to the Tracer spam; there are too many buffs within the spec not to. If you still insist on using one of the two, use FM.

Edited by Dropfall