The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Prototype Powertech - Need Advice

RagnarokViking

Hello all,

I've been noticing that a lot of the top Powertech players post on these forums and I am looking for some advice. Since the expansion has dropped I have shelved my Powertech Tank for an Assassin and have started playing Powertech DPS for progression and would like some pointers to improve my play.

I am currently wearing a mix of 186 comm gear and lvl 178 blues, with the blue ruusan relics with 60% of my gear augmented. My crit is a tad under 25% and I am at 68% surge and 99.6% accuracy. I have included a video of the parse as well as the raw numbers themselves.

The Numbers

The Video

I have seen several posts from Kwerty, Zejim and a few others getting incredible numbers with the spec and I am finding mine to be a bit low. Its probably the lack of gear and set bonus holding me back, but I would like to know what I can do to improve and start pulling those 4.3+ numbers.

Thanks a million!

Hello all,

I've been noticing that a lot of the top Powertech players post on these forums and I am looking for some advice. Since the expansion has dropped I have shelved my Powertech Tank for an Assassin and have started playing Powertech DPS for progression and would like some pointers to improve my play.

I am currently wearing a mix of 186 comm gear and lvl 178 blues, with the blue ruusan relics with 60% of my gear augmented. My crit is a tad under 25% and I am at 68% surge and 99.6% accuracy. I have included a video of the parse as well as the raw numbers themselves.

The Numbers

The Video

I have seen several posts from Kwerty, Zejim and a few others getting incredible numbers with the spec and I am finding mine to be a bit low. Its probably the lack of gear and set bonus holding me back, but I would like to know what I can do to improve and start pulling those 4.3+ numbers.

Thanks a million!

Sure I'll help out.

First off, the enhancements in the comms gear is terrible - I'd recommend replacing them with Crafted enhancements (even if you have to go with Blue ones), unless you can get token drops. The mods should be fine till you get token mods though.

With that done, I looked at the Parse itself. A quick rundown showed that you were probably delaying Prototype Particle Accelerator at times, as with a parse of that length you should have about 44 Rail Shots, where as you only had 39. Your rocket punch + TD uptime was fine though, as was Unload + SC usage. Due to having not as many rail shots as you might like, you also missed out on some uses of Energy Burst - a fight that long should have 11, maybe 12 Energy Bursts, whereas you had 9.

After that, I loaded up the video.

First thing I noticed: In your opener, you decided to use an unload where you should have used Magnetic Blast - Immediately before the third PPA Proc. So you went

RP -> TD -> [TSO] Unload -> Mag Blast ->

where you should have gone

RP -> TD -> Mag Blast -> Rail Shot -> [TSO] Unload ->

~38 seconds in, you made a second mistake, going

Mag Blast x4 -> RP -> RS -> HS -> TD -> Mag Blast ->

Now if you're gonna spam Mag Blast there, it should have been more like this:

Mag Blast x3 -> Rail Shot -> RP -> TD -> Mag Blast ->

@ ~1 min, you went:

EB -> RpS -> RP -> TD -> Rail Shot -> Mag Blast -> RpSx2 -> RP ->

Whereas at that point, you would have wanted to go

EB -> RpS -> RP -> TD -> Rail Shot -> RpS -> Mag Blast -> RS -> RP ->

Next up: 2 minute mark. You used Rail Shot on the proc when you had 4 Energy Lodes - So you should have used Energy Burst at that point and delayed the Rail Shot.

~2:26 - once again, delaying procs for [TSO] + Unload

~3:34 - delayed a proc for an energy burst (you can swap the 2 GCDs around...)

~3:42 - Delayed a proc for Rapid Shots despite using 2x Mag Blast beforehand.

~4:08 - Used another rail shot with 4 Energy Lodes

So yeah, all the mistakes found in the parse were mentioned in this post. There aren't too many, considering that you've only just moved in from Tanking to DPSing, but if you want to improve, just get the hang of using those Proc cooldowns appropriately, and never using Rail Shot with 4 Energy Lodes (outside of the opener where it is the only time its a DPS increase to delay the Energy Burst till after the rail shot)