The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fuel Additives backwards?

Aberd

Was reading through PT utility Fuel Additives and feel it is backwards. Description reads as follows:

"Explosive Fuel increases damage done by 5% while Ion Gas Cylinder is active and increases damage reduction by 5% while Ion Gas Cylinder is not active."

So when tanking in Ion Gas Cylinder, this acts as a damage (agro) buff and when DPS'ing as a defensive (damage reduction) buff.

As is Explosive Fuel is already a damage buff, why does it feel that dps is being penalized for taking this utility?

As a tank this feels backwards, whereby the damage reduction is preferable given other utilities increase damage as well.

Can someone verify that this is the intended function of Fuel Additives.

Thanks.

Was reading through PT utility Fuel Additives and feel it is backwards. Description reads as follows:

"Explosive Fuel increases damage done by 5% while Ion Gas Cylinder is active and increases damage reduction by 5% while Ion Gas Cylinder is not active."

So when tanking in Ion Gas Cylinder, this acts as a damage (agro) buff and when DPS'ing as a defensive (damage reduction) buff.

As is Explosive Fuel is already a damage buff, why does it feel that dps is being penalized for taking this utility?

As a tank this feels backwards, whereby the damage reduction is preferable given other utilities increase damage as well.

Can someone verify that this is the intended function of Fuel Additives.

Thanks.

They do not really want any utilities to be must have utilities beyond maybe 1 per tier. Otherwise, it would only be the illusion of choice.

Lets look at guard cannon as an example. Prior to 3.0, Guard Cannon also increased the damage dealt by shoulder cannon. If it was still the case, dummy parses for powertechs would always use liquid cooling + guard cannon, and in raids people would do everything they could to avoid having to move so they could use that combo as well.

So its simple to understand that Fuel Additives is intended to give a slight defense boost to DPS (who use it for a DPS boost) and a slight damage boost to tanks (who use it as a DCD now that it gives +35% defense/resist chance while active in tank spec), as that way its a nice boost, but not necessary.

I mean we already have guard cannon as necessary for tanks, and in PvE you want to have liquid cooling as a DPS...

I agree with TACeMossie's reasoning, but I think it's just darned stupid. You're going to tie this minuscule damage increase for tanks/DR for DPS to an offensive cooldown with 12% uptime, 15s on a 2m cooldown. The only time it'll be really useful is if there's a lot of raid damage going out and you need to burn the boss fast.

Basically it's a utility for fights with a big DPS race phase at the end (think Titan 6 or Dread Council). Otherwise, I'll stick with Re-Energizers and Charge the Line (DPS) or Guard Cannon (tank), thankyouverymuchBioWare.