Advanced class help

vDarkHelmet

I played back prior to FTP came out but not since. I am trying BH now but have to choose between Powertech and Mercenary. I play solo quite abit right now but hope to eventually be in a Guild when i get my feet wet. Any thoughts on which way to go? Im curious as to how they differ at top level as welll. Thanks

Powertech is more melee, with fewer ranged options. Gets lots of fire and is more survivable, capable of filling tank or DPS roles.

Merc is more ranged, less tanky, but can fill dps and heal roles. Also dual wields blasters.

I can't go much more in depth as I've never played BH past 10. Sorry!

It's a bit too soon to tell how classes perform in 3.0, and you don't want to be just another Flavour of the Fortnight player, anyway. If you really can't decide, I recommend going one way to try it out -- you can always reroll, getting a new character to level ten doesn't take long at all.

As Steuern has said, the main difference mechanics-wise is that the powertech is a melee class that can either tank or DPS while the mercenary is a ranged class that can heal or DPS. In terms of animations, powertechs use their flamethrower a lot while mercs focus mostly on blaster attacks and their wrist-mounted missile launchers.

Both classes are cool. Let your gut decide.