Restore a Character?

talavelrus

Is it possible to get characters you deleted back? I ask because I regret deleting some characters. I tried putting a ticket in asking if its possible but all I got in return for a answer is a copy and pasted response of basically what amounts to "We have no idea what you asked please be more "specific" and try again".

Is it possible to get characters you deleted back? I ask because I regret deleting some characters. I tried putting a ticket in asking if its possible but all I got in return for a answer is a copy and pasted response of basically what amounts to "We have no idea what you asked please be more "specific" and try again".

For this type of issue, you probably want to call Customer Support or Skype them. You could also try support@swtor.com but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Call or Skype Haha....oh god well then guess my problem will not be solved.

Quite frankly, it shouldn't be. The fact that people have had this done in the past is, IMO, a big mistake on BW's part. They should never have done it. Consider: When you attempt to delete a character, a dialog box pops up asking if you are sure (pretty standard procedure), but THEN an instruction box opens up that tells you to type in D-E-L-E-T-E into the box before clicking through.

What, exactly, about this instruction do people not understand? Is typing D-E-L-E-T-E too obscure? Do players think BW doesn't really mean it? Do people not understand what the word DELETE means?

This is not a "problem" Bioware needs to solve. No one should expect them to. It's your problem for not paying attention in the first place. If you get a divorce and later think you made a mistake, you can't call up the court and tell them you changed your mind and couldn't they just, you know, "un-file" that dissolution.

You made a decision. You can't expect BW to keep your old deleted characters around in cyberspace just in case you changed your mind. If you want the character back, re-roll it!

If you think of it from a software/storage viewpoint, it might be possible to "un-delete" a character that has "recently" been deleted, either accidentally or maliciously. Just like when you delete a file on your hard drive, the file may still be there in the recycle bin, or on the drive, and you can either get it from the recycle bin or use a utility to un-delete it. Similarly, if it's soon enough, BW night be able to un-delete a character if it's still in the your database but not overwritten yet, but just like the deleted files on your hard drive, once the file is overwritten by new data, it's basically gone for good.

So no, it's not freakin likely that you'd get your old characters back. Time to move on and re-roll.

Any characters deleted, no matter how long ago, may be restored. I've had around 5+ characters deleted, only to want them back later, getting them back, and then deleting them again because I'm a true slacker. Simply file a Customer Support ticket in-game (the button to the far right of your top-tab-thingy) with the word "Scooby", press return, and then type your character's name, advanced class, and level. If you don't remember all of that, just type as much as you can. I've waited anywhere from hours to a few days for these to be restored, but it always works, and within around a half of a week.

PS: Why "Scooby"? It isn't a joke. It's a codeword. If you don't believe me, then don't do it. If you believe me, then you can go ahead and get the character back.

What, exactly, about this instruction do people not understand? Is typing D-E-L-E-T-E too obscure? Do players think BW doesn't really mean it? Do people not understand what the word DELETE means?

I agree with you in general that people should be careful and try to think ahead before just deleting a character.

Case in point: my son and I accidentally deleted one of our Chiss agents on his account. We thought we were on my account. Silly mistake, our fault. That said, recognizing that is different than the condescending attitude you take above, which helps no one.

In our case, yes, we knew what DELETE meant and, at the time, we were sure. We simply made a silly mistake regarding what account we were on. My son did ask, via a "scooby" ticket, if the character can be restored. We're still waiting and he and I both agree that if Bioware doesn't or can't do it ... well, it was our mistake. No big deal.

If you get a divorce and later think you made a mistake, you can't call up the court and tell them you changed your mind and couldn't they just, you know, "un-file" that dissolution.

Poor analogy in that you can turn it around and say that a marriage that was a mistake can be annulled and thus you changed your mind. Further, a criminal record (mistakes) can be expunged. So resorting to analogies like this, while perhaps seeming clever, can always be turned around.

My take on this is simply this: if Bioware chooses to do character restores, it's nothing you should worry about. It doesn't hurt you, after all, right? Whether Bioware is opening a can of worms or not is their choice and if they find it becomes a practice they can't sustain, I'm sure they'll stop.

I agree with you in general that people should be careful and try to think ahead before just deleting a character.

Case in point: my son and I accidentally deleted one of our Chiss agents on his account. We thought we were on my account. Silly mistake, our fault. That said, recognizing that is different than the condescending attitude you take above, which helps no one.

In our case, yes, we knew what DELETE meant and, at the time, we were sure. We simply made a silly mistake regarding what account we were on. My son did ask, via a "scooby" ticket, if the character can be restored. We're still waiting and he and I both agree that if Bioware doesn't or can't do it ... well, it was our mistake. No big deal.

That's rough, I hope Bioware gets your son's character back. If the scooby ticket doesn't work, I'd resubmit it, and then maybe even go through a phonecall. I found this old thread on reddit, discussing the process.

I hope it works out! :)

Poor analogy in that you can turn it around and say that a marriage that was a mistake can be annulled and thus you changed your mind. Further, a criminal record (mistakes) can be expunged. So resorting to analogies like this, while perhaps seeming clever, can always be turned around.

It's even poorer than that, because you can basically "un-do" a divorce by getting re-married. :)

I'm in class, so I'm too lazy to read every post, so if it's been answered, oh well. Here is what I put in my ticket when I want to restore a toon.

SCOOBY

Character Name: [insert name]

Level: [Level]

Class: [Class]

Advanced Class: [AC]

Race: [Race]

Server: [server]

Reason: [Reason]

So for example:

SCOOBY

Character Name: Varrus

Level: 60

Class: Sith Warrior

Advanced Class: Sith Juggernaut

Race: Cyborg

Server: Ebon Hawk

Reason:

I thought i wouldn't need him but I need him now, and would like to restore him.

I'm in class, so I'm too lazy to read every post, so if it's been answered, oh well. Here is what I put in my ticket when I want to restore a toon.

SCOOBY

Character Name: [insert name]

Level: [Level]

Class: [Class]

Advanced Class: [AC]

Race: [Race]

Server: [server]

Reason: [Reason]

So for example:

SCOOBY

Character Name: Varrus

Level: 60

Class: Sith Warrior

Advanced Class: Sith Juggernaut

Race: Cyborg

Server: Ebon Hawk

Reason:

I thought i wouldn't need him but I need him now, and would like to restore him.

This is great, super helpful. I think it's good that players can come back from the occasional Oops! :) I hope the OP lets us know how things turn out.