Does anyone know how Bioware computes the default price on the GTN?

Chiricahua

I trade quite a bit, it is a very BIG part of my gaming here and I have wondered the same.

I believe from watching what I find in loot and what I buy from the CM, seen the default prices, vendor prices and GTN prices on these items......

I cam to the conclution that naturally most artifact items, come With a default price Attached, like most speeders and Mounts, at a default price at 112500credits

On the far oposite side I have found items non cartel of artifact and adustable character, between anything from a few credits and up to 10 000 or more...again IF sold to a vendor............placing these on GTN as well do provide a default price that I assume is based on the value of the attaced mods.

So I think the default prices are "set" on the Mounts and sppeders and calculated from a base item price and added for any of the modifications on said item

Other items, be them weapons or armor they often to my experience og at a 1 or 2 credit default price and is basically priced on GTN based on rarity and demand.

The default price will really mess you up if you are not paying attention. Many players have come to grief because they were moving too fast and sold an item for far less than it was worth. I agree that there is not just one answer here. I sell most all my drops and ALWAYS check the current pricing by searching for the item first. For drops such as green gear, for example, just some observations.

1. If you are selling a series of the exact same item, the price will default to the first price you set. For example, if you are selling an enhancement for 7995, the next you put up for sale, if it is the VERY NEXT THING you do, will also be 7995. So will the third and fourth, etc. You usually see that with mods because it is typical to sell more than one at a time as toons need 7 or so when they are trading up.

2. If there are a bunch of the item already being sold, the price will default to the lowest price still posted. So if you want to undercut the going price, you have to lower it.

3. If there are NO items still on the market, the price will default to the LAST PRICE it sold for. So let's say you search for an item and don't find it, move it to the "sell me" box, the price reflected will be the most recent. Don't do that if you can help it. Take out the company name and search more generically trying to get a good estimate. Most company names are [random]. It's the next word that is important, so in something like "Pautuxent Arms Corporation Wrinkly Greaves" it is "wrinkly greaves" with an emphasis on "wrinkly" that will pin THIS kind of greaves to a level and price. You can see this when you sell an item where it will say. "You sold [random] wrinkly greaves for 4995" in your email that gives you the money. The company name does not matter but the modifier--wrinkly-does.

4. Number 3 doesn't always work. There may be a timer on it. I don't know, but some items have an unusually low default price (and commission). For example, for a while there War Supplies were selling fast and for high prices, some close to 100K. When War Supplies: Crystal Capacitors were selling for 50K apiece, if you put it up, it would default to 323 credits--ridiculously low. Obviously, there is something else going on here other than number three.

5. The Solution: ALWAYS check out the item's current posted prices. ALWAYS make sure you click on the price column and switch between highest price first and lowest price first. If THAT 'individual' price doesn't switch, do the total price column to jerk it loose. It will often work after that. There is always someone selling a mundane item for a very high price in hopes someone isn't paying attention. NEVER accept the default price without investigating.

Edited by MSchuyler