The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The BattleZone Rebirth! Sith Bracket Match 1: Exar Kun vs. Darth Plagueis

Aurbere

The BattleZone has returned in all its glory! After much deliberation, the brackets have been reset, shrunk, and mixed with new characters! The first bracket is the Sith Bracket, featuring four of history's greatest Dark Lords of the Sith. The first match pits the legendary Exar Kun against the mysterious Darth Plagueis!

Lightsaber Skill:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun was a legendary master of lightsaber combat. His master—weapon master Vodo-Siosk Baas—declared him his greatest student, and was even defeated by him in lightsaber combat twice. Exar Kun was a revolutionary lightsaber combatant in several ways. He was one of the first wielders of the double-bladed lightsaber, which he had crafted from his standard lightsaber. As such, the weapon was significantly smaller than the standard double-bladed lightsaber. Kun primarily used it one-handed, but he could hold the weapon with both hands for strength attacks.

He was primarily a master of Niman—the Jedi Order’s more balanced and moderate Form. Instead of sticking to Niman’s precepts of balance and moderation, Kun took the Form to radical new heights and transformed it into an incredibly offensive fighting style. He completely obliterated the style’s perceived weaknesses and created a fighting style that could quickly overwhelm his opponents.

But what made Exar Kun even more dangerous was his lightsaber. As stated before, Kun’s lightsaber was a double-bladed lightsaber masquerading as a standard lightsaber, but even more dangerous was the weapon’s hidden function: a dual-phase mechanism. Exar Kun could use the dual-phase mechanism of his lightsaber to rapidly shorten and lengthen the blades. Kun used this feature to confuse and bewilder opponents, forcing them to make a failed attempt to block one end and then suffer when Kun exploited the opening it created.

Kun’s lightsaber and fighting style were both legendary, and Kun’s name remained associated with the double-bladed lightsaber’s lethality for millennia.

Darth Plagueis:

Darth Plagueis was believed by his master—Darth Tenebrous—to be a master of lightsaber combat. However, Plagueis disdained lightsaber combat and preferred to focus on his studies into midichlorians. That being said, he does have notable accomplishments with his lightsaber. He was able to defeat a small army of warriors with his apprentice. But his more notable accomplishment was his victory over Darth Venamis, an individual who employed a radically unpredictable fighting style and knew Plagueis’ fighting style in and out. However, that victory was primarily because of his mastery of the Force.

Edge: The edge given here should be obvious. Plagueis may have been deemed a master lightsaber duelist, but he detests lightsaber combat and is evidently not as formidable as those with a focus on it. He may theoretically have a broad knowledge of lightsaber combat because of his training of Sidious, but he has obviously not mastered lightsaber combat to the same extent as his student has. Even worse for Plagueis is Exar Kun’s radical fighting style. Legendary as it may be, Kun’s fighting prowess is not normal and is not something employed by others. Plagueis may be able to recognize Kun’s style as having a basis in Niman, but that does little as Kun has advanced the style beyond anything Plagueis has encountered or studied before. Further, Exar Kun’s Form is extremely unpredictable. All of these elements together make it quite clear that Plagueis is at a significant disadvantage here. Exar Kun gets the edge in lightsaber combat.

Physicality:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun is a human male in his physical prime. Though he is not physically strong without the Force, with it he possesses prodigious physical strength. Most notably, he was able to use his strength to break through the Force-imbued quarterstaff wielded by Vodo-Siosk Baas on two separate occasions. The staff, it should be noted, was stated as being stronger than any lightsaber.

Exar Kun was also skilled in unarmed combat, and was experienced in using them in lightsaber combat.

Darth Plagueis:

Darth Plagueis is a Muun aged well over a century. The attempt on his life left him scarred and deformed to the point that he needed to wear a metal transpirator to survive. However, his experimentation with the manipulation of midichlorians allowed him to reverse his aging process and repair some of the damage done to his body, though he still required the transpirator to survive.

Despite his advanced age, Darth Plagueis possessed immense physical capabilities. His speed was advanced to the point that the droid 11-4D—which could dodge blaster bolts by calculating their trajectories—had to readjust its photoreceptors to perceive him. He was also fast enough to appear as a red lightning bolt to bystanders.

His strength was great as well. He was highly skilled in hand-to-hand combat and could drive his fists through armored torsos. His durability—while not overly impressive—was positively impacted by his skills in Sith healing techniques. He was able to relieve himself of pain, heal wounds, and manipulate his bodily functions to limit blood loss and facilitate damage control.

Edge: Though Exar Kun possesses prodigious strength, he is significantly outclassed by Darth Plagueis’ physical capabilities. Exar Kun can break Force-imbued weapons after repeated strikes, but Plagueis can drive his fists through armored torsos while expending a great deal of energy to prevent his body from bleeding out. Darth Plagueis gets the edge.

Mentality:

Exar Kun:

Though pegged for his arrogance, Exar Kun usually only acted within the bounds of what he was capable of doing. He was a shrewd manipulator and skilled tactician, and often employed his talents in manipulating others. Most notably, he manipulated Sorceress Aleema Keto into unintentional suicide for her traitorous acts, a manipulation that had also devastated the Jedi Library world of Ossus, which greatly damaged the Jedi Order’s morale.

His more notable combat manipulation was his application of the Dun Moch tactic in lightsaber combat.

Darth Plagueis:

As a Rule of Two Sith Lord, Darth Plagueis was naturally inclined to manipulation. Whether on a galactic scale or simple negotiations, Darth Plagueis was masterful in manipulating others. As a Muun, Plagueis is naturally far smarter than most species. While he did not often employ combat tactics, he has shown great skill in adapting to his situation and opponents and applying the proper abilities for victory.

While Plagueis was familiar with the Dun Moch tactic, he has not employed this tactic often.

Edge: The issue here is Plagueis’ lack of exposure in direct combat. While an ingenious grand scale manipulator, he has not applied his genius in combat. However, it can be said that Plagueis can apply his intellect in lightsaber combat if need be, and he can engage Kun in psychological warfare with his own experience with Dun Moch. In the end, Plagueis gets a slight edge, but it is based purely on a theoretical ground. On the basis of what they can do here, they would be considered equals.

Force Abilities:

Exar Kun:

Ambition and thirst for knowledge spurred Exar Kun to study the deepest secrets of the Dark Side, which led to the creation of a Sith Lord whose power would be used as a measuring stick for Sith Lords years after his death.

He was a gifted telekinetic, as he was able to easily summon powerful Force pushes and Waves to telekinetically assault opponents. He was also a capable telepath and master of Force Sense. He was able to communicate telepathically with others from half a galaxy away, and locate powerful Force users from a similar distance.

However, his greatest abilities were within the realms of Sith Magic and Sorcery. Vast reservoirs of knowledge allowed Kun to learn the art of Sith Alchemy, which he used to create powerful Sith War Beasts, beasts that remained a threat to the Jedi years after Kun’s death. As a spirit, Kun was able to create beasts on a whim from pure Dark Side energy. When he was a disembodied spirit, he was also able to summon tendrils of Dark Side energy that could rip an individual’s spirit from their body.

Kun’s most dangerous power, however, was the Force Blast. The ability was a manifestation of pure Dark Side energy that appeared as a beam projected from the hands. The attack itself ranged from potency from obliterating stone walls, to incapacitating people, to outright disintegrating people. The latter task was accomplished when he was a spirit.

Darth Plagueis:

Darth Plagueis was immensely powerful and learned in the ways of the Dark, a natural product of existing at the end point of the Rule of Two. His abilities in the Force were nothing less than shocking and awe-inspiring as he was one of the few Sith Lords to not only wield the Force in an incredibly destructive way, but also attempt to mold the Force to his desires.

He was highly skilled in mentally influencing others. Even as a child he was able to compel one of his playmates into committing suicide. He was able to disguise his presence from other Jedi to the point that he was able to deceive the Force Senses of powerful Jedi Masters and openly converse with them. He was also skilled in the application of Force Illusions, notably using one to deceive Darth Sidious during an early training exercise.

He was a master of telekinesis. He was able to easily lift and throw heavy objects with a simple clap of his hands. His Force Pushes and Waves were incredibly devastating as well. During the assassination attempt on his life by Maladian Assassins, his easily conjured Force Waves were able to all but atomize his opponents. Indeed, after the fact investigators believed that the assassins were killed by explosives. Even more impressive is the fact that Plagueis was mortally wounded and dying during those events.

He was skilled in other applications of the Force as well. He was a master of tutaminis to the point that he was able to easily absorb blaster fire and then turn that energy into Force lightning that could instantly kill targets. He was also able to apply Force Healing techniques, though his application could not revive those too close to death.

However, his greatest exploit with the Force was the manipulation of the midi-chlorians. As messengers and embodiments of the Force, the midi-chlorians had a natural resistance to being dominated by external forces. Their unity was such that even the dominator’s midi-chlorians fought his will. Plagueis was able to overcome both of these factors to manipulate midi-chlorians in several ways. He was able to render Force-resistant subjects—such as Yinchorri—non resistant. He could even coerce midi-chlorians into raising subject from the dead, or even force them to return to their source, essentially willing a subject to die. As Qui-Gon Jinn aptly put it, without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist.

Edge: This category has always held combat applicability over simple raw power. In that regard, Darth Plagueis has a significant advantage in both categories. Though Kun is powerful, Plagueis is even more so. On the surface, Plagueis is not incredibly powerful in comparison to other Sith Lords. However, the devil is in the details. The ability to manipulate midi-chlorians should, theoretically, be one of the most difficult abilities to master because one must actively contend with the Will of the Force in order to impose one’s will on the Force’s messengers. Even more impressive is Plagueis’ clear mastery in this field, which heavily implies an absolute mastery of the Force.

And Plagueis is not limited to midi-chlorian manipulation. His broad and incredible mastery of basic applications of the Force is clearly impressive. As previously noted, Plagueis’ greatest displays of telekinesis were done under dire stress when he was forced to divide his power between defending himself, attacking his opponents, and preventing his body from dying. He should then be capable of even greater power.

But all of that said, the question to be asked is if Plagueis can defend himself from Exar Kun’s Force Blasts. It is not the objective of this analysis to answer that question, however. Plagueis is superior to Exar Kun in most fields of the Force, and his abilities are more combat applicable, so he gets the edge.

========================================================

Who will win? Who is truly superior? We'll find out when these two powerful Sith enter The BattleZone!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He managed it against Keto, I don't believe that was on a dark side nexus.

Pretty sure he can do it anywhere as long as he has the amulet.

By amulet blasts, I'm referring to what he did on Yavin that killed the giant wyrm, not a insignificant burst that could only knock Keto unconscious even though he had the intention to kill her. His blasts are significantly weak off nexus.

By amulet blasts, I'm referring to what he did on Yavin that killed the giant wyrm, not a insignificant burst that could only knock Keto unconscious even though he had the intention to kill her. His blasts are significantly weak off nexus.
I don't think its ever suggested that Kun couldn't conjure a more powerful burst, he did not appear to be trying against Nomi. Obviously nothing on the scale of Yavin, but a burst of pure dark side energy is powerful in any situation. Edited by Beniboybling

I don't think its ever suggested that Kun couldn't conjure a more powerful burst, he did not appear to be trying against Nomi. Obviously nothing on the scale of Yavin, but a burst of pure dark side energy is powerful in any situation.

His "burst of pure dark side energy" could only knock Keto unconscious even though in the previous comic he swore he would kill her. Kun's strength is in other areas, for the bursts are pretty worthless against the higher tiers. :rolleyes:

Edited by MarcheseAMM

His "burst of pure dark side energy" could only knock Keto unconscious even though in the previous comic he swore he would kill her. Kun's strength is in other areas, for the bursts are pretty worthless against the higher tiers. :rolleyes:
Well he could have killed her through various other means so I don't think that's a valid point.

However I do agree that it won't be much of a threat to Plagueis.

While Exar Kun is a better duelist, I have to give it to Darth Plagueis. He just seems smarter and more analytical to me, also his Force abilities were nothing short of magnificent. I also think that Exar Kun may give into rage if he doesn't kill Plagueis after a while. Edited by that_Spartan_IV

While Exar Kun is a better duelist, I have to give it to Darth Plagueis. He just seems smarter and more analytical to me, also his Force abilities were nothing short of magnificent. I also think that Exar Kun may give into rage if he doesn't kill Plagueis after a while.
Just to be devil's advocate, Exar Kun is the notably superior duelist and on top of that its intimately familiar with the form Plagueis is wielding. In that case he might be able to overwhelm him before he can bring his powers to bear.

I think it should be noted that Plagueis probably knows quite a bit about Exar Kun, which turns this otherwise balanced duel, into a one sided battle. I hate to say it, but it is because Exar Kun was so famous that he would lose this battle.

On the other hand, the unpredictability of Exar Kun's Niman would be a great counter to Plagueis since he is not known for his saber skills.

Edited by Silenceo

I think it should be noted that Plagueis probably knows quite a bit about Exar Kun, which turns this otherwise balanced duel, into a one sided battle. I hate to say it, but it is because Exar Kun was so famous that he would lose this battle.

On the other hand, the unpredictability of Exar Kun's Niman would be a great counter to Plagueis since he is not known for his saber skills.

Well, both sides are made aware of who their opponent is (which would usually be under a character bio section), and I don't think Plagueis is so very familiar with Kun to really gain an advantage from the information.

Most battles between force users come down to saber battles, because most force users are capable of defending themselves against the enemies force powers. Considering the capabilities of the 2 here, I feel it MIGHT be to much of an assumption to think that they arent close enough in league with one another for this not to be the case. As the better duelist is Kun, i believe he would likely be the winner.

Edit: that being said, I do not think we should underestimate Plageusis own Saber skills and physical differences that may give him an advantage most dont realize. (mostly his size, strength, speed, and mental analytical abilities, all come into saber beyond just skill and style)

Edited by tunewalker

Fair points, Tune. I've always found Plagueis to be a very underrated duelist. Sure, he got beat rather handily by Venamis, but he too is underrated as a duelist. I should make a thread about him Edited by Aurbere

Kun is the superior duelist and their abilities in the Force are near even with them varying in skill in certain abilities. However Sorcery is on Kun's side.

Wasn't plagueis a skilled sorcerer as well? As per the rule of two everything the previous rule of two sith knew was taught to their apprentices. This means that Plagueis knowledge in sorcery would be considerable. Especially since Zannah specialized so heavily in it. This is evidence by the fact that Plagueis was able to kill, ressurect, and kill Darth Venamis. His manipulation of midichlorians is remarkable. As for people who claim Kun would win because he's the better duelist.. Plagueis was heavily trained in the saber arts and while he may not be the best duelist amongst the sith he already used his powers to best someone who was more skilled than himself.

Venamis was a better duelist but Plagueis was stronger in the dark side of the force which was the deciding factor in their duel. Given that Plagueis knows Levitation and can even battle while doing so this can enable him to strike back in interesting ways.

As for Plagueis not knowing too much about Kun? How would that be possible? Plagueis had access to some of the greatest Sith collections to ever exist. He had, at his fingertips, the accumulation of all knowledge the rule of two collected and had to offer. I might be wrong on some things but I think Plagueis is being underestimated here.

Edited by Rhyltran

Plagueis is not being underestimated, Kun was unparalleled in his time as a lightsaber duelist where he was superior to dozens of truly great lightsaber practitioners and was even stated to be far more powerful than any one Jedi of his time.

This is including the likes of great Jedi such as Thon, Arca Jeth, Odan-Urr and the Sunriders and Qel-Dromas. Some of the most powerful Jedi in a time stated to be the 'height of Jedi confidence and skill'.

When Kun fought Vodo for the second time it is stated Vodo never stood a chance. This is the same Vodo listed as a master combatant and one of the Order's finest by that time.

Kun is listed in numerous sources as one of the greatest ever Sorcerers and one of the most powerful Sith ever. Plagueis himself even wonders whether or not Kun and Naga Sadow had truly been more powerful or whether or not the Dark Side was simply stronger back then.

Edited by LadyKulvax

Plagueis is not being underestimated, Kun was unparalleled in his time as a lightsaber duelist where he was superior to dozens of truly great lightsaber practitioners and was even stated to be far more powerful than any one Jedi of his time.

This is including the likes of great Jedi such as Thon, Arca Jeth, Odan-Urr and the Sunriders and Qel-Dromas. Some of the most powerful Jedi in a time stated to be the 'height of Jedi confidence and skill'.

When Kun fought Vodo for the second time it is stated Vodo never stood a chance. This is the same Vodo listed as a master combatant and one of the Order's finest by that time.

Kun is listed in numerous sources as one of the greatest ever Sorcerers and one of the most powerful Sith ever. Plagueis himself even wonders whether or not Kun and Naga Sadow had truly been more powerful or whether or not the Dark Side was simply stronger back then.

Oh, believe me. I know how Exar Kun is and often when people bring up Exar Kun I'm constantly telling them how much they're underplaying him. I never said Exar Kun is being overestimated here. He deserves the reputation he has and I even used that point to defend the Sith Warrior in TOR by pointing out Tremmel compares the Sith Warrior as to potentially being the next Exar Kun. I also never doubted that Kun is a superior duelist. It's just on one hand Plagueis did feel that way but on the other Plagueis was able to do things with the force no one else has been able to do in the entire Sith History.

Some of plagueis feats with the force are nothing short of impressive. It really is hard to compare the two because both were incredible Sith.

Frankly, I think this match is dead in the water, yet it must go on!

That said, I think it might be best if we remove opinion and compare their feats, not by our interpretations, but at face value. No power scaling, no power by association, just look at their feats and displays of power.

Frankly, I think this match is dead in the water, yet it must go on!

That said, I think it might be best if we remove opinion and compare their feats, not by our interpretations, but at face value. No power scaling, no power by association, just look at their feats and displays of power.

I agree with this.