The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question About dark/light alignment.

Chris-red

I think if the LS/DS didn't hold some significance to the OP, he wouldn't have bothered to ask.

There is no real disadvantage to being LS/DS or neutral, however, the paths you chose will impact the story telling. I totally hate when as a new player you ask a question and you get generic answers that really doesn't help you make a decision.

Obviously the OP knows he can play however he chooses but he perhaps wishes to know which path is more interesting, in our opinion.

I don't like when people say do what you enjoy, especially experienced players. You can't know what you will enjoy if you haven't played the game before. Furthermore, Enjoyment is intangible and exists in a continuum. Give players the best advice you can so that they can have a better gaming experience.

Some story -line endings are affected by the path you chose, in terms of what the NPC say to you. For example ,if you are a Jedi knight and you are DS, Satele will not grant you the title of Jedi Master ( in the story). If you are a LS Sith Warrior, you either Banish Baras or send him to jail.

If you have decided on a personality for your toon then the alignment gains are irrelevant and that won't affect you in any noticeable way. Unless you happen to see someone in a group cut-scene with level 3 DS corruption, and think it looks cool and want your char ot look like that, only to realize you have to overcome 2800 LS points before you even hit Dark 1 :D

Edited by Yezzan

I don't like when people say do what you enjoy, especially experienced players. You can't know what you will enjoy if you haven't played the game before.

Yeah, but the experienced players can't know what they'd enjoy either. I see lots of people saying that [insert character class here] has the best [insert game aspect here], and, as usual, they're all different.

Edited by JediQuaker

Unless you happen to see someone in a group cut-scene with level 3 DS corruption, and think it looks cool and want your char ot look like that, only to realize you have to overcome 2800 LS points before you even hit Dark 1 :D

Heh, there's always a catch, although the "sad mouth" associated with DS corruption does not suit me at all.

If we want to sum things up with in-game facts (although I guess that the OP has figured things out by now) :

- LS/DS does not affect equipment optimization options in a meaningful way (some lightsabers and relics have alignment requirements, but they are irrelevant in terms of equipment power)

- LS/DS opens some cosmetic items at LS/DS merchants

- LS/DS can significantly impact the storyline, including endings. There is at least one storyline that acknowledges "neutral alignment" (ie, you may receive a differnt title depending whether you are LS/DS or neutral).

- DS causes a visual corruption on your character (can be turned off)

- Reaching various levels of LS/DS alignment gives you achievements and titles.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few bits and pieces but as far as game mechanics go, I think it covers pretty much everything.

Rest is mostly roleplay, character development stuff and there is no right way to decide your personality (some choices probably won't feel satisfying considering game limitations, but that's another matter)