How do you think the change to Alacrity will affect pvp?

Trevor_the_Bruce

Yeah, can see that happening too. Was just commenting on my spec of expertise - I just started leveling an Engineering sniper so don't really know what it entails.

What I am afraid of is a future nerf to snipers as a result, while if this leads to OP-ness it would be because the alacrity stat changes were too strong. But I guess it's a bit too early to speculate about that, nobody here even talks about how alacrity might benefit their class beyond the pure DPS aspect.

Yeah. We haven't seen the changes for sniper yet. 3 days yet until we do officially.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going for pure DPS, alacrity may become more valuable than surge in terms of expected sustained DPS. In terms of expectation value of burst damage, you'll probably want surge/accuracy as tertiary stats only.

However, if you're PvP'ing and if alacrity also decreases defensive cooldowns, it becomes an even more valuable resource that can boost survivability by increasing uptimes of DCD's. So its valuation may go beyond how much it increases your DPS. For example, if I have 45s cooldown on entrench as a Marksmanship sniper, and I stack %25 alacrity (not even factoring in a possible sniper's volley at activation), I will bring the cooldown of entrench down to 31.5s. For the record, the theoretical maximum sustained time of entrench is 29s for Marksmanship snipers. This is a +90% uptime of CC immunity.

Thit is very interesting indeed

It would be a lot easier to talk about these things if we knew the exact stats of the new level 60 PVP gear and knew how much alacrity you can get from a single mod/enhancement, and when the diminishing returns start coming in. 25% alacrity would be a lot less impressive if you had to use up every mod and enhancement slot to achieve it.

I can assure you you won't use up any mod slots :rolleyes:

I also seriously doubt the dev's use anything other than the default gear.

On the live stream for merc/pt the character they used had 25% alacrity

I checked it again. The character had 7.6% alacrity from gear, and 2% passive alacrity from being Pyro spec. Other alacrity buffs are temporary buffs from cooldowns.

7.6% is reasonable with an entire secondary stat pool. But I really don't see stacking alacrity beyond 7-8% with PvP gear and an entire stat pool, which has a lower stat pool than PvE gear.

are they changing the DR on surge too? cuz I thought that didn't kick in until ~75%, meaning there's still not much incentive to go alac > surge until that threshold is met?

The soft cap for surge is 70%. It just gets really bad at 75%. Tho I do believe that the hard cap used to be 75% back when they had hard caps.

The soft cap for surge is 70%. It just gets really bad at 75%. Tho I do believe that the hard cap used to be 75% back when they had hard caps.

This is correct, although currently having surge on every piece of 162 level gear gets you just over 75% surge. You can drop surge from 3 pieces of gear and still have 74% surge.

This is why I say it really depends on the curve of the formula versus surge. At a minimum they should match, but I would actually have it more favorable becauseq the whole premise is sacrificing burst for sustained.

It always boils down to the curve. Ideally every stat should have a non-zero optimal value. Bonus points the combat designers if different classes and specs benefit from different stat mixes.

I hope alacrity does not make my stuns channel faster ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.