DPS issue? Build problem? Rotation? Normal perhaps? Looking for advice

FrostTrooper

So this is my first Sent, I've played a tank Powertech for a long time so DPS in general is new for me. That said, I've got my Sent wearing 156 or higher gear. Last night I was running some FPs with a few guildies and noticed that the Shadow we were running with would grab aggro from our tank several times throughout the night, yet I was unable to.

I'm using a Watchman build, 36-8-2 and my rotation is:

Forceleap

Overload Saber

Zealous Strike

Merciless Slash

Cauterize

Master Strike

Zealous Strike (if up) Strike if it isn't

I keep Zen up whenever it's ready and Overload Saber and Merciless Slash. I also keep an eye out for Mind Sear to proc and hit Cauterize when it's up.

I feel like I do good damage, but my inability to steal aggro had me concerned. Should I be worried? Something I should be switching?

So this is my first Sent, I've played a tank Powertech for a long time so DPS in general is new for me. That said, I've got my Sent wearing 156 or higher gear. Last night I was running some FPs with a few guildies and noticed that the Shadow we were running with would grab aggro from our tank several times throughout the night, yet I was unable to.

I'm using a Watchman build, 36-8-2 and my rotation is:

Forceleap

Overload Saber

Zealous Strike

Merciless Slash

Cauterize

Master Strike

Zealous Strike (if up) Strike if it isn't

I keep Zen up whenever it's ready and Overload Saber and Merciless Slash. I also keep an eye out for Mind Sear to proc and hit Cauterize when it's up.

I feel like I do good damage, but my inability to steal aggro had me concerned. Should I be worried? Something I should be switching?

Force Leap + Overload Saber in the same GCD.

Merciless Slash should come back every 6 secs once you have your stacks.

Master Strike on CD IF you have Cauterize reset on Merciless Slash. If it doesn't reset, you have to fish for a proc so you won't have room for it theis time, wait after the next Merciless Slash.

Try to put Cauterize immediately before Merciless Slash.

Anyway this is all moot considering Watchman changes in 3.0 which hit in two weeks.

You probably weren't pulling agro because the tank was guarding you?

Maybe, but he was screwing up the rotation a bit. Merciless needs to be used after cauterize (due to the potential to reset it, and due to cauterize doing more damage for less focus). Changing his ability priorities should improve his DPS.