Cloak Hangs Through Vehicles

metrical

Hey everyone,

Since launch, whenever you preview a vehicle any hanging cloth becomes rigid and conforms to your legs. But when you actually get on the vehicle, the cloth will clip straight through and hang there as if you were standing. It looks pretty doofy, see the image below.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp12/wwm24/mountCloaks.jpg

The clipping occurs on animal mounts too, but their preview doesn't show you riding so I have no example.

I'm wondering if it's something simple to fix, since the previews actually seem to either switch the model to a solid mesh or are completely uninfluenced by gravity. Obviously not game breaking, but it's pretty jarring. If a fix is possible I'm sure we'd all appreciate it!

Not really a bug, the cloaks have just rudimentary physics that emulate inertia and gravity more or less realistic.

For the cloaks to actually fold around the speeder, the speeder needs a collision-box and the cloak-gravity-emulator needs to check for this collision box. The next bug would be that your cloak clips trough someone else's speeder when it can hang freely on yours, and that it clips trough objects when you sit/kneel/dodge on them, so the cloak-physics-emulation would have to check for every object that is supposed to be solid. Could be quite a performance hit on the fleet with 100 players and their companions.

Edited by Mubrak

Not really a bug, the cloaks have just rudimentary physics that emulate inertia and gravity more or less realistic.

For the cloaks to actually fold around the speeder, the speeder needs a collision-box and the cloak-gravity-emulator needs to check for this collision box. The next bug would be that your cloak clips trough someone else's speeder when it can hang freely on yours, and that it clips trough objects when you sit/kneel/dodge on them, so the cloak-physics-emulation would have to check for every object that is supposed to be solid. Could be quite a performance hit on the fleet with 100 players and their companions.

Right, I'm not saying there should be dynamic cloth flying off the back of your vehicle though. In the preview it swaps to a static model that wraps around your legs, no physics required. I don't know why the same thing doesn't happen once you actually get onto the vehicles.

Right, I'm not saying there should be dynamic cloth flying off the back of your vehicle though. In the preview it swaps to a static model that wraps around your legs, no physics required. I don't know why the same thing doesn't happen once you actually get onto the vehicles.

to avoid player aggravation. This way speeders cannot block access, or prevent you from clicking on whatever it is you want/need to click on...

It's also listed in the stickies :) (not the reason, just the fact)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=733212

Pro Tip: Preview is just that, do not, under any circumstance, draw any kind of conclusion from the preview window. Decide by viewing something in actual use. Find someone who's willing to show you how it looks to prevent any disappointments afterward, or check the forum for any already discovered issues (clipping or unwanted stretching are all too common errors)

Edited by LeJarC

I'm wondering if it's something simple to fix, since the previews actually seem to either switch the model to a solid mesh or are completely uninfluenced by gravity. Obviously not game breaking, but it's pretty jarring. If a fix is possible I'm sure we'd all appreciate it!

Yup, but they won't do anything to fix it. BW is just to lazy to fix this, much like the Force Leap for the Knights/Warriors...