The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fresh out of Tanking school...

bardkestrel

So I'm a Shield Powertech, level 55, and I have not yet done any grouping or flashpoints. Don't ask me why, I just always end up solo leveling. My gear is all level 152+, mostly 156 from Oricon. My question here is, what should I do or learn before jumping into a group as a tank? I'd appreciate guides, tips, videos, whatever will help. Thanks!

So I'm a Shield Powertech, level 55, and I have not yet done any grouping or flashpoints. Don't ask me why, I just always end up solo leveling. My gear is all level 152+, mostly 156 from Oricon. My question here is, what should I do or learn before jumping into a group as a tank? I'd appreciate guides, tips, videos, whatever will help. Thanks!

Read guides on tanking. You can find them on these forums.

Learn how threat really works. Along with that, learn how Guard and Taunt work.

Practice tanking by pulling out a healing or DPS companion and running through the Oricon dailies--don't let your companion get hit. This takes good situational awareness, which is one of the hardest things to teach.

Your gear is good enough to do HM 55 FPs, so it's really just player skill that needs working on at this point. If you have a guild, get some of them to join you in your first 55 HM FPs. Even if you don't go with guildies, warn people that you're a new tank. It can help to read up on the mechanics of the FPs in question.

If you want to do some Ops (Ops are fun and lucrative!), make sure to read the Dulfy's guide before you do it, just so (hopefully) there are fewer surprises.

If you have never done FPs, I suggest that you do the SM ones overlevelled to get the lay of the land. One of the most annoying things that happens to me as a new tank/new to FPs is when people speeder on ahead while I am checking the map for where the heck we need to go or read a bonus description.

If folks are very experienced and overgeared they'd pull everything, and then you will end up running, huffing and puffing, to come to a skidding stop right in front o' the boss they decided they kindda need you to pull. That's particularly true when one or two of them are Shadows, moving at a clip, putting everyone to sleep.

Or, you get a group of less experienced guys who'd flock behind you and mimic your moves, and that's an even weirder experience...

I would actually suggest a new character that does all the FPs, pre-reading a guide once you reach the min level for the pull. Seriously, so many of those fights have mechanics that you don't want to be rashly typed into the chat window right in front of the pacing boss... I read the guide, and it was hard to understand Daksh mechanics; only watching the video of the tank I saw that Daksh moves, etc.

Then, there is that Colicoids War Game (groan)....