Bind Timer Pointless

DeathCarrot

They are bound to the character that opens them for 36 hours. If you dont use them within that time, they will be unbound, ready for you to sell.

This is done simply so that people that cant wait 36 hours to buy things from gtn with credits, will buy the stuff for cartel coins instead, which equals more money to BW.

The bind timer has a point, as described above.

The inability to merge the generic XP boosts--those that boost all XP, from whatever source derived--is far more pointless. Now since 2.10 decorations have the same issue. We need to be able to merge identical items that can stack as long as they remain in the inventory of the toon to which they are bound.

People can only buy so many cartel packs when they can't merge the contents until after the timer.

I thought the timer was in place to help prevent credit card fraud. So it's not pointless at all.

What'd be the point?

Is this in-game "bound" system in any way preventing that? No. I can use my credit card for that and still sell the items 36 hours later. Or the items completely disappear. Inconveniencing the majority of players for something as this is bullsh**.

Also, what does the timer have to do with "Buying the thing of the GTN?". One will get the armor, one bought it on the CM. Regardless, Bioware gets the pay for the armor. Some people buy on the GTN because they cannot afford to use the CM. Bioware won't get any money from them, bound or not.

From 2012

"I’ve seen some discussions on the test server wondering why we even have the binding rules in place. To be blunt, it’s to limit fraud. " - Nathan Emmott, BioWare

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2012/10/bioware-speaks-on-the-cartel-market.html

You might not like it or truly understand why it might be effective, but it's there for a reason. It 's probably based on EA's experience with games that have a similar marketplace.

Edited by JediRelentless

From 2012

"I’ve seen some discussions on the test server wondering why we even have the binding rules in place. To be blunt, it’s to limit fraud. " - Nathan Emmott, BioWare

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2012/10/bioware-speaks-on-the-cartel-market.html

You might not like it or truly understand why it might be effective, but it's there for a reason. It 's probably based on EA's experience with games that have a similar marketplace.

So being unable to stack Major/Minor XP boosts like we can stack [insert XP type] XP boosts, let alone decorations (which have identical stacking rules) during the bind timer is an anti-fraud thing?

LOL what's the point?

I can see why the items bind in the first place but the no stacking of identical items just creates a wholly unnecessary logistical PITA. Especially with each new hypercrate containing non-stackable decorations, the logistics are far more of a burden than they were when it was only the XP boosts.

So being unable to stack Major/Minor XP boosts like we can stack [insert XP type] XP boosts, let alone decorations (which have identical stacking rules) during the bind timer is an anti-fraud thing?

I gave BW's reasoning to the general purpose of the timer. You're discussing a secondary issue which is probably not a very high priority with the devs.

Edited by JediRelentless

I doubt it's technically possible to stack bound items if there's at least a minute's difference between them. The only thing they can do is get rid of the bind timer entirely for the XP bonus items(but not the expensive decorations, obviously), but then people would be able to sell expensive 3 hour XP bonus items right away - probebly goes against the developer intent.

Then again, it's not really a problem for me, because I can send items from character to character through legacy storage(even CM bound ones), and I always unpack hypercrates on an "empty" alt with 100 GTN slots and five empty cargo bays.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL what's the point?

I can see why the items bind in the first place but the no stacking of identical items just creates a wholly unnecessary logistical PITA. Especially with each new hypercrate containing non-stackable decorations, the logistics are far more of a burden than they were when it was only the XP boosts.

Personally I agree fully and find many times the times is just Grrrrrrrrrrrr, but I can see why it is there even With the mergin thing......suppose you in a fraudulant way get 2 cartel packs but at the same time or withing the span of a minute ( 2-3) you buy 4 non fraudulant ones.......then you open pack 6 ( a legal one ) then pack 2, then 5 then 1 then 4 etc, merging any "duplicate! decorations, maybe even very rare ones, boosts etc, now BW finds out and want to "pull" Your items.......lets say you got of that cheap though........

How will they know what was in each pack? ths is why it is bound also for stacking I suspect

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.