The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need help understanding what gear to level with.

Masterrag

Hi, I want to play a Guardian (Tank), with T7-01 (DPS)

My first question is:

Is there an easy way to recognise in a long list of items, which are specifically for each class type I'm building?

and second:

Why do some items remain unshaded, even though it looks like I do fulfil the requirements, and can buy them?

Any help is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

MTFBWY

What is shaded out are items you cant equip.

Being able to equip an item does not mean it is for your class.

Not really sure what you mean by how you know what is for your class.

If it has STRENGTH on it it is for Jedi Knight (guardian or sentinel)

If it has other classes primary stat (aim, willpower, cunning) it is not for you.

If it is HEAVY ARMOR it is for guardian (note: dps spec guardian can still take medium armor which is meant for sentinel and strip out the mods and put them into a heavy or adaptive armor shell)

If it has tank stats (defense rating, shield rating, absorption rating) as secondary stats in addition to strength it is for tank spec guardian.

And so on and so on.

There should be nothing unclear in it.

And companions have almost always different primary stat than you. Just look at what gear they have on them when you get them.

Apart from all the gear with Sheld/Alacrity and other useless combos :rolleyes:

Take the mod and armoring if they are better than your old ones

Ditch the enhancement.

Use the enhancement from your old gear until you find another piece with an enhancement with right stats.

Getting enhancements is not that hard as they are not slot bound so you can take them from any other piece of gear that has enhancement and they don't have primary stats so you can take them from other classes gear too.

Take the mod and armoring if they are better than your old ones

Ditch the enhancement.

Use the enhancement from your old gear until you find another piece with an enhancement with right stats.

Getting enhancements is not that hard as they are not slot bound so you can take them from any other piece of gear that has enhancement and they don't have primary stats so you can take them from other classes gear too.

Slot bound? Methinks, OP is not yet level 55 (even then, I'd beg to differ, but that is completely OT here)

And so on and so on.

There should be nothing unclear in it.

For the old farts among us maybe. There is plenty unclear for players in their earlier levels. And so on, and so on. Awesome instruction for a new(er) player :D

So, to the topic:

each class has a primary stat. As above poster mentioned, strength is for jedi knights. In lower levels it can happen, that an item is better for you even if the primary stat does not fit. For example if you have no ear piece yet, and the one you find has a lot of endurance. But in general, indeed, stay away from non-fitting primary stats.

Just to mention quickly: willpower is for jedi consulars, aim for troopers, and cunning for smugglers.

For a tank, the exact distribution of the tank stats mentioned above is not so important for quite a while. Actually, items do come with those only sometime in your 30ies IIRC. Before that, pack endurance, when you can. Later in the game you may want to read some tank guides, to get optimal distribution of the different stats. Earlier, one can get tank stats with augments. But that is really luxury and not needed for leveling at all.

As for shaded out items. Hard to tell when not seeing the item. One can often buy items, even if they are not usable by the char. For example my jedi guardian does not have the armor proficiency to use a generator, so they are greyed out (not the same as shield generator, that he can use). But he can buy one for his companion, for example. Some names are kinda counter-intuitive.

Edited by Nazdika