The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New player gear/cartel market question

Vroldekhan

Hey guys, i started playing swtor a while back and manage to get my marauder to lvl 20, but i stopped playing for a long time and basically forgot everything about the game, then 2 days ago i came back and since then ive been reading some helpfull posts on the forums regarding gear, so i have some questions and i would really appreciate any help:

1) Impulsively i bought the subscription, xpacs and have 10k cartel coins, my goal (if its even possible) is to buy an adaptable armor and keep modding it as i level up, as suggested from some people in chat, the thing is i dont know how u guys get so many planetary comendations, i havent spent any since lvl 1 (if i recall correctly) and still have like 15 or so :(. So what do u guys think? Which would be the best approach to gear up?

2) Since i have the 12x & 25% xp boost the story quests give me a lot of xp, would u guys recommend just doing the story quests for a while and avoiding the sidequests or finish the sidequests and then moving on to the story?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Hey guys, i started playing swtor a while back and manage to get my marauder to lvl 20, but i stopped playing for a long time and basically forgot everything about the game, then 2 days ago i came back and since then ive been reading some helpfull posts on the forums regarding gear, so i have some questions and i would really appreciate any help:

1) Impulsively i bought the subscription, xpacs and have 10k cartel coins, my goal (if its even possible) is to buy an adaptable armor and keep modding it as i level up, as suggested from some people in chat, the thing is i dont know how u guys get so many planetary comendations, i havent spent any since lvl 1 (if i recall correctly) and still have like 15 or so :(. So what do u guys think? Which would be the best approach to gear up?

2) Since i have the 12x & 25% xp boost the story quests give me a lot of xp, would u guys recommend just doing the story quests for a while and avoiding the sidequests or finish the sidequests and then moving on to the story?

Welcome back! :D

1) You can get planetary commendations a number of ways including as random loot drops, from flashpoints, heroics and mission rewards. Going back and doing low level heroics (you can do them once per day) is a good way to get the comms.

2) It depends on what you want to do. If you want to experience the story of the whole planets, then do the sidequests first, but if you just want to experience your class story, then do that. It is up to you.

1) With the 12x XP boost, doing only the class missions aren't going to get you enough planetary comms to gear as one normally would. If you don't want to do sidequests I recommend daily Kuat (tactical flashpoint via Group Finder) and PvP Daily (you can trade PvP comms for planetary if you don't care about saving them up for later). If you make a few alts, you can also simply do dailies on them (both tactical FP's and PvP have bolster, so you don't need gear for that) for optimal comm acquisition and mail whatever mods you need to your main.

2) You can certainly keep doing just story missions for a while, you might even get better because of it (learning your class' rotation, CD's, CC etc). However, if you DO decide to do sidequests, do them alongside the story missions (as it's designed for). If you do all of one then all of the other, you'll effectively double your traveling time (which is already substantial).

Thanks a bunch Essence! Btw, would u recommend getting gear via quests, stores etc or buy the mods for the adaptable armor?

It depends, there are several ways to get gear. Sidequests (obviously), but if you want to do class story missions only, you could use planetary comms, buy gear from the GTN, or craft the gear. Same goes with adding mods to adaptable gear, you can buy the mods with comms, GTN, or craft.

Do your main Story quests, they give planeraty comms, you have have to choose between the comms or gear for your companions, and loot all mobs! Almost all your class quests have a bonus quest where you have to kill a certain amount of mobs; kill and loot.

Also Pick up all the side quests along the way. Most of the side quest you can do while you moving to and from your main quest areas. Press "L" and preview the rewards from each quest so that you cna abandon the ones that do not give much reward. Also, some quests give Orange gear.

Remember the x12 exp is for a limited time so you want to take advantage of it! The idea is to play all 4 different classes to unlock the legacy buff so you will always have the 4 major buffs without having to be in a group.

I am a relatively new player myself so I am just on my 2nd toon. And the Cartel market is hella expensive. It's always a bad idea to let players set their own prices!!

12x XP lasts only to 1 Dec and only for subscribers who have pre-ordered Shadow of Revan and it only gives you 12x XP for class quests and the planet story on Ilum and Makeb.

You do not need to do anything other than the class quests to level, but as you have seen, you will become under geared.

To take full advantage of the 12x XP boost, I would not do the side quests. But then I have all the crafters I need to update my armor when I start getting into trouble for being under geared.

For those that not already have resources to use, either to craft new gear or buy it of GTN, you have to find a way to get those resources. Doing extra content of some sort is probably the best short term solution, unless you want to spend more real money on the cartel market and hope you can sell what you buy on GTN for extra credits.

Planetary comms: pick up the daily and weekly PvP warzone quests as well as the Weekly Groupfinder quest and daily FP quests. Once per week you can run a random FP and get 25 planetary comms. Every day after that during the week, you can run a random FP and get 15 (NOT KUAT--although, you can get a few more if you do Kuat daily as well). Do daily warzones and also finish the weekly every week. When your Warzone Comms start getting close to full, trade them for Planetary Comms. If you're STILL short, go to worlds that you overlevel (10+ levels over) and do Heroics.

The benefit of doing FPs and WZs daily (beyond Planetary Comms) is that you get an opportunity to learn your class beyond what only class quests will teach you.

I don't see anything wrong with picking up side quests. He's probably a new player and do not have a bunch of rich level 55 alts to leech off. SO doing ONLY class quest to levle is ill-advised.

I suppose the best advice for someone who wishes to do ONLY class quest for leveling is to spec in the DPS tree and roll with your Healer companion. If you utilize your interrupts and cc abilites there is no way you should die.