Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Returning player. Need some tips

loudent

Hey All,

I played when the game first came out, then again about a year ago. I haven't played in at least 6 months. I have a range of characters on both sides from level 51 to level 18.

I don't recall how to play *any* of them :) (incidentally I wish there was a training room where you could artificially down grade your character and re-learn how to do everything like when you were first leveling up).

So, should I pick up one of my old characters or roll new? Also, is it still really hard to find a group in this game as DPS? Would I be better served rolling tank or heals?

Any other advice?

Hey All,

I played when the game first came out, then again about a year ago. I haven't played in at least 6 months. I have a range of characters on both sides from level 51 to level 18.

I don't recall how to play *any* of them :) (incidentally I wish there was a training room where you could artificially down grade your character and re-learn how to do everything like when you were first leveling up).

So, should I pick up one of my old characters or roll new? Also, is it still really hard to find a group in this game as DPS? Would I be better served rolling tank or heals?

Any other advice?

I will frequently let characters languish for a month or two and then pick them up again. Personally, I just run some solo content and acquaint myself with the class mechanics again. So to answer your first question: I would simply pick up where I left off with a character. You may struggle for a period of time but that time is usually short (for me).

As to finding groups as a DPS, it really depends on what you want to do. There are a number of "tactical" FPs that are role neutral - the first four players that queue get into a group. So in those FPs queuing as DPS is short. However, there are still HM FPs and operations where the roles are important: in HMFPs you need a tank a healer and two dps, in 8man ops you need two tanks two healers and four DPS, in 16man ops you need 2 tanks four healers and 10 dps. Queuing as DPS for HMFPs is rough. You will wait a while. If your characters can spec as an under represented role (tank and heal), if you want shorter queue times then queuing in those roles would be a good idea. BUT be warned that queuing as a tank in DPS gear and queuing as a healer and not healing well are sure ways to get on players' ignore lists. So if you do switch specs make sure you have appropriate gear and know what you are doing (at least a little).

I will frequently let characters languish for a month or two and then pick them up again. Personally, I just run some solo content and acquaint myself with the class mechanics again. So to answer your first question: I would simply pick up where I left off with a character. You may struggle for a period of time but that time is usually short (for me).

I've been gone long enough where most of my characters have reset skill points so I don't even have a full skill bar to remind me how to play :). But I'll take your advice and pick up one of my many characters.

As to finding groups as a DPS, it really depends on what you want to do. There are a number of "tactical" FPs that are role neutral - the first four players that queue get into a group.

Are these new? As far as I recall the only one that could be run like that was the first group thing you do when you are leaving the starting planet. If so that would be a nice addition.

So in those FPs queuing as DPS is short. However, there are still HM FPs and operations where the roles are important: in HMFPs you need a tank a healer and two dps, in 8man ops you need two tanks two healers and four DPS, in 16man ops you need 2 tanks four healers and 10 dps. Queuing as DPS for HMFPs is rough. You will wait a while. If your characters can spec as an under represented role (tank and heal), if you want shorter queue times then queuing in those roles would be a good idea.

So the ratio is 1/1/2 for HM FP then 8 man is 2/2/4 (maintaining the ration) then in 16 man the ration is 2/4/10 which either means there are too many healers in the other two flashpoints or not enough in the 16 man FPs

BUT be warned that queuing as a tank in DPS gear and queuing as a healer and not healing well are sure ways to get on players' ignore lists. So if you do switch specs make sure you have appropriate gear and know what you are doing (at least a little).

Yeah, I actually enjoy both the tanking and healing roles I wouldn't queue for them if I'm not specced that way. It just seems I rolled a couple of DPS last time around and was thinking of playing them but I really enjoy doing dungeons while leveling and It was wicked hard to find a group as dps.

Are these new? As far as I recall the only one that could be run like that was the first group thing you do when you are leaving the starting planet. If so that would be a nice addition.

They're new-ish, but I'm pretty sure they have been out for more than six months.

The first one released was Kuat Drive Yards, which you can pick up starting at level 15 and will bolster all group members to 55. There's a one-time intro mission that unlocks it and allows you to queue for it in GroupFinder (fleet, Mission Departures elevator, Starfighter Launch Deck, use the "Malfunctioning Terminal"). After that, you can just queue with GF directly.

Since then, a bunch of others have been released, but they are level 55 only.

This wasn't part of your questions, but if you need a site to look up guides for your class, or just general info on the game, you should check out Dulfy.net. Is is always updated with the latest info in pretty much everything SWTOR. :)

You can also check out major changes to the game since you left, here. That way you know what there is to do. ;)

Welcome back! :D

This wasn't part of your questions, but if you need a site to look up guides for your class, or just general info on the game, you should check out Dulfy.net. Is is always updated with the latest info in pretty much everything SWTOR. :)

You can also check out major changes to the game since you left, here. That way you know what there is to do. ;)

Welcome back! :D

Thanks, I was definitely planning to looking at some guides. good to know a reliable source.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.