Did I go overboard with my new pc?

jagertharn

It actually is a very good rule of thumb. I really hate it when people say, "You're missing the point!" but you're missing the point. You're not only being pedantic, you're not seeing the forest for the trees. These differences in components don't mean diddly squat in the greater scheme of things because the shelf life of any given component is measured in months, not years. Given this rapid pace of change it makes no sense to quibble over details that won't matter in another year or two. You may LIKE to do it for the sheer joy of it (and that's fine), but from an efficiency standpoint you're wasting your time.

The lifecycle of a PC in industry today is three years, five years for cash-strapped non-profits that can't effectively amortize equipment anyway. At that point you're going to lift up the radiator cap and jack a new PC underneath. The whole thing. You're NOT going to swap out a GPU or spend time grappling with how many registers or cores it has. It's a moot point because you're darned lucky if the buss interface is even the same for a new card. It's the same for the OS. Does anyone ever upgrade their OS? Of course not! You just buy a new computer that has a new OS installed. And once again, it might be smarter to get one less than the newest fad. You really don't want to get stuck with Windows Millennium. Windows 8 might be stable enough by the time Windows 10 comes out.

The bottom line is that OP did just fine here, and this pedantic criticism of his decisions, including his motivation for even posting, is just awkwardly silly. This should be a lesson to him on why never to post here because you'll get a load of ignorant crap no matter what you say. OP is going to get a new computer in three years anyway, and so will you. Meanwhile nobody but the OCD-impaired really gives a rip about the differences between a 680 and a 780, Just buy the latest known good working one and be done with it. Otherwise you'll never have time to play the game.

Spoken like a dedicated ignoramus. You are every tech-industry con-artist's dream customer. Quick, go buy some oxygen-free HDMI cables, they cost more!

Thanks for your advice, but no thanks.

I'd rather put some thought into how I spend thousands of dollars.

Edited by BuriDogshin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually is a very good rule of thumb. I really hate it when people say, "You're missing the point!" but you're missing the point. You're not only being pedantic, you're not seeing the forest for the trees. These differences in components don't mean diddly squat in the greater scheme of things because the shelf life of any given component is measured in months, not years.

Analogies don't make you right and how can I miss a point if your point is plain wrong?

We should upgrade our CPUs when we upgrade our GPUs just because you think there is some sort of blanket rule that means this should occur? Forget ACTUALLY researching if there is any need ( there isn't, show me where there is if you believe there is ) or not.

As I had pointed to, and you can easily research yourself, in the scope of this thread ( gaming and even more in the scope of NOT upgrading - SWTOR Gaming heh ) there is no need to upgrade a CPU for gaming purposes beyond CPU's that are a good 2-3 years old now. I mean I guess you could be right by saying months if we look at it as 24-36

but years in terms of gaming for CPU, months in terms of gaming for GPU. That is how it is, you can't put a blanket over it and say you need upgrade your entire PC together because quite simply you do not. Currently and by trend you will get significant and noticeable performance gains from upgrading the GPU annually and the CPU is still debatable but 3-5 years I would think ( and that upgrade may just to be a chip that was around 3 years ago but is now affordable ) or until game developers actually start taking advantage of modern technology like quad cores, 6 cores, 8 cores what have you.

The lifecycle of a PC in industry today is three years, five years for cash-strapped non-profits that can't effectively amortize equipment anyway. At that point you're going to lift up the radiator cap and jack a new PC underneath. The whole thing. You're NOT going to swap out a GPU or spend time grappling with how many registers or cores it has. It's a moot point because you're darned lucky if the buss interface is even the same for a new card. It's the same for the OS. Does anyone ever upgrade their OS? Of course not! You just buy a new computer that has a new OS installed. And once again, it might be smarter to get one less than the newest fad. You really don't want to get stuck with Windows Millennium. Windows 8 might be stable enough by the time Windows 10 comes out.

Which industry? You do realize you live in a world where the PC is used for completely different things right? Some industries you may be correct, other industries it could be longer or shorter. Heck I'm typing this on an old Duo as I speak though we are upgrading to 7 and i5's for end users shortly due to the XP support expiration but otherwise these workstations managed to do just fine and have done for the past 5 years or however long it's been.

Yes after 5 years I probably would swap out the whole thing ( though personally I don't work this way, I tend to upgrade pieces at a time and even by my own admission my 2-3 year CPU upgrade could have been skipped until we start maybe hitting clock speed 5 ghz+ easily if that becomes possible ) but then I would probably want to future proof myself as much as I possibly could and being as the discussion is gaming I would want to do so in gaming terms. Thus buying a $1000 CPU that gives me NO significant benefit over a $300-400 CPU and there is NO research stating it will in the next 3-5 years either is a complete waste. The money saved from the CPU could go towards instead future proofing something that DOES offer a benefit over a short period of time and that's raw GPU power. that extra 600-700 spent in GPU power could give me another 1-2 years at the top end graphics levels in games as opposed to what the OP would have purchased.

OS wise you still make a failed analogy - I would research the OS I wanted to install and install that just the same as I would do for my hardware because to not do so and just pay for things because they are new and expensive then to ask people in a thread what they think and if I went overboard is just asking for the proverbial bashing.

If you can't understand these things in reference to this thread you're missing the point and coming across as doing nothing more than trolling.

The bottom line is that OP did just fine here, and this pedantic criticism of his decisions, including his motivation for even posting, is just awkwardly silly. This should be a lesson to him on why never to post here because you'll get a load of ignorant crap no matter what you say. OP is going to get a new computer in three years anyway, and so will you. Meanwhile nobody but the OCD-impaired really gives a rip about the differences between a 680 and a 780, Just buy the latest known good working one and be done with it. Otherwise you'll never have time to play the game.

And it's comments like that that should have you just buyng the Xbox one or PS4 and leave the PC gaming to the fanboys. Sometimes being a fanboy isn't a bad thing after all. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.