swtor + 4k monitor issues

Remh

I've recently bought a 4k monitor, so now i'm trying to play swtor at 3840x2160.

Some problems have occurred:

-Nameplates don't scale, resulting in tiny nameplates, hard to see in the middle of combat.

-The GUI can only be increased in size by a factor of 1.25, resulting in a tiny interface.

screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/E1INc4I.jpg

I've tried looking for a solution (increasing size of gui and nameplates) but didn't find anything.

Edited by Remh

I've recently bought a 4k monitor, so now i'm trying to play swtor at 3840x2160.

Some problems have occurred:

-Nameplates don't scale, resulting in tiny nameplates, hard to see in the middle of combat.

-The GUI can only be increased in size by a factor of 1.25, resulting in a tiny interface.

screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/E1INc4I.jpg

I've tried looking for a solution (increasing size of gui and nameplates) but didn't find anything.

Probably because 4k is pretty much new and you will find very little support or knowledge bases on it. Kinda the trap you fall into when picking up the new shiney before it has time to be vetted and third party support developed for it.

Probably because 4k is pretty much new and you will find very little support or knowledge bases on it. Kinda the trap you fall into when picking up the new shiney before it has time to be vetted and third party support developed for it.

The other games i play like Borderlands 2 and Diablo 3 ROS have no issues with these kinds of resolutions.

They just keep the size of the UI the same across the different resolutions, relative to the size of the screen.

Now I am not going to say this is going to be the solution, also make a backup of the xml files so you can copy back if need.

Now if you do

•Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time.

•Copy the following in to the text box and press ok: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings

Go to the folder called GUIProfiles , these are your UI settings for each character .

Now in these you will find a section like below, now this says global scale is set to 1.1 , see if it will allow past the 1.25 you can manually do in the interface editor.

-<Global>

<GlobalScale Value="1.100000" Type="3"/>

<EnableMovableWindows Value="0" Type="2"/>

</Global>

Sorry haven't tried it myself about to go to bed , but this may be what you are looking for

Edited by OwenBrooks

Now I am not going to say this is going to be the solution, also make a backup of the xml files so you can copy back if need.

Now if you do

•Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time.

•Copy the following in to the text box and press ok: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings

Go to the folder called GUIProfiles , these are your UI settings for each character .

Now in these you will find a section like below, now this says global scale is set to 1.1 , see if it will allow past the 1.25 you can manually do in the interface editor.

-<Global>

<GlobalScale Value="1.100000" Type="3"/>

<EnableMovableWindows Value="0" Type="2"/>

</Global>

Sorry haven't tried it myself about to go to bed , but this may be what you are looking for

This does work, thanks. Turned it up to 1.5 scale. Fixes the GUI, still stuck with the scaling of the nameplates, though.

• 7 months later...
for curiosity sake, just wondering what video card you are using and what kind of frame rate you are getting at 4k, i'm thinking about buying a 4k monitor as well and only really play 2 games atm, this and ESO. anywho... i know this is kind of an old post but hopefully I can get an answer

• 3 months later...

Ok the folder GUIProfiels is empty it is in the settings folder which has 4 files in it

client_settings

Duart_Account

Duart_accountDev

he6124_Carott_PlayerGUIState

none of these files has the strings you outline for now I will just cut back the resolution till the UI becomes usable as a temp fix but the game looks fantastic at 3840-2160 everything maxed and the frame rate is fine too.

Carott is the only toon I have looked at for this install and I assume versions of the last file will be created as I play each of them.

sorry to have kept you up in that other thread Owen,

I can pick this up in 8 to 10hours if that would be better for you mate? no worries right?

System Information this is an Apple 5K 27" iMac AMD R9 M295X 4 gigs VRAM

------------------

Time of this report: 8/25/2015, 01:19:16

Machine name: DESKTOP-OLI74M5

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150810-2333)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

System Model: iMac15,1

BIOS: IM151.88Z.0207.B03.1506050728

Processor: Intel® Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16324MB RAM

Page File: 2656MB used, 16611MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Not Available

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

• 2 months later...
for curiosity sake, just wondering what video card you are using and what kind of frame rate you are getting at 4k, i'm thinking about buying a 4k monitor as well and only really play 2 games atm, this and ESO. anywho... i know this is kind of an old post but hopefully I can get an answer

I can answer this...

I found this thread searching for a solution for the lack of US scaling beyond 1.25...

I recently upgraded my main machine. I now have a trio of 32" ASUS 4k panels:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-B326HK-ymjdpphz-Widescreen-ErgoStandch/dp/B00PDOBUGQ/

I have 3 of those hooked up to a NVidia GTX 980ti:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Backplate-Graphics-06G-P4-4995-KR/dp/B00YDAYOK0/

The CPU is an Intel i7-4790k running at stock settings, but water cooled to ensure it turbos well and stays quiet. Due to this being a single theaded application, the CPU was steady at 4.4GHz in turbo. The GPU also was in turbo at 1.2GHz. I have this all installed in this case with plenty of fans:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB6O4N8

I loaded up a warzone tonight and it was smooth at 60fps, even on a trio of 4k screens. It did drop to 40-50fps at times, but I was honestly shocked how smooth it really was.

Shadows/Grass were turned off, AA is turned off, all other details at max. Running a fresh clean install of Windows 10, everything else set to defaults.

So with the proper hardware, good cooling, and fast internet (I have 1 gigabit fiber to the home), this game can be smooth as silk, even in a warzone, even on 3 4k screens.

My EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified is waiting for me on my front porch (as it it pouring down rain right now!!). My 48 inch curved 4k Samsung TV will be here Saturday between 6-9am. I have been using a 40 inch 1080p TV for the last 5 years and I thought it was time to upgrade. The curved TV is a dumb idea except for people who will be sitting in the curve which most people watching TV do not. As a monitor, however, it should be pretty sweet!

I can answer this...

I found this thread searching for a solution for the lack of US scaling beyond 1.25...

I recently upgraded my main machine. I now have a trio of 32" ASUS 4k panels:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-B326HK-ymjdpphz-Widescreen-ErgoStandch/dp/B00PDOBUGQ/

I have 3 of those hooked up to a NVidia GTX 980ti:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Backplate-Graphics-06G-P4-4995-KR/dp/B00YDAYOK0/

The CPU is an Intel i7-4790k running at stock settings, but water cooled to ensure it turbos well and stays quiet. Due to this being a single theaded application, the CPU was steady at 4.4GHz in turbo. The GPU also was in turbo at 1.2GHz. I have this all installed in this case with plenty of fans:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB6O4N8

I loaded up a warzone tonight and it was smooth at 60fps, even on a trio of 4k screens. It did drop to 40-50fps at times, but I was honestly shocked how smooth it really was.

Shadows/Grass were turned off, AA is turned off, all other details at max. Running a fresh clean install of Windows 10, everything else set to defaults.

So with the proper hardware, good cooling, and fast internet (I have 1 gigabit fiber to the home), this game can be smooth as silk, even in a warzone, even on 3 4k screens.

You my hero! Can you post a pic of your gaming rig? I would love to see it!

Edited by Mahrdol

• 2 years later...

AMAZING Thank You, Returned to game with a 4k monitor and the teeniest tiniest interface ever greeted me, it was set for 0.9 I set mine to 1.25 and its Sweet. 1.5 was to big for me. Old Thread but great information that customer service failed to help with.

Shame this post was created back in 2014 and SWTOR doesn't seem to have done anything to address the issue!