Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Harbinger down twice in one night? C'mon, what's going on, really?

Trintric

This has been an ongoing problem for two years. They haven't addressed it so far, why would they start now?

We deserve some kind of answers Bioware. At least give us the decency to know if this server is going to be a **** bucket forever so we can leave.

This issue has been ongoing for over two years, they know what's going on.

File complaints with the B.B.B. and the F.T.C. maybe when they start getting calls from these two agencies they will get serious about fixing this ongoing issue.... just a thought.. =)

But the gift of cartel coins is a good idea to calm the masses.

This has been an ongoing problem for two years. They haven't addressed it so far, why would they start now?

It actually went for around 6 months with little problems that caused the server to crash until GSH came into play. I don't know if its the result of that content or if that content caused more people to show up and crash the server.

Edited by Nickious

Look on the bright side, the more often it happens the more likely they'll figure out why.

it's been going on for well over a year if you take a look at the server forums. I think they should have been able to figure it out in that amount of time.

It's got to be a capacity issue, seeing that Harb is the highest pop server in this game. GSH only exacerbated that load. And remember when 16man group finder was scaled back to 8man because it lagged out the server really badly? That really put a light on how delicate their infrastructure is. I don't like buying unneeded capacity but sometimes you gotta treat the outliers as a special case like Harb.

I wonder if they have stress test tools for simulating the load of new patches and capacity before stuff is rolled out to live.

Edited by Projawa

The APAC servers closed down two years ago already? Bloody hell! :eek:

Harbinger has been problematic since pre-release. APAC guilds chose Harbinger to play on prior to release and flooded the server causing long queues and crashes. Everybody complained and the Aussie's said get over it, you will miss us when we are gone. Then the game was officially released to APAC and they had their own servers. Harbinger ran smoothly and we found out that we really didn't miss the Aussie's too much.

Now the APAC servers are gone, mergers happened, housing happened, and 12x exp happened. Zones are flooded, instances are not being created when capacity is reached, GF gets slow, mail stops working, login queues start to accumulate and the server crashes.

If this wasn't so predictable we might give them some grace for being taken unawares but history has shown that Harbinger gets the most stress and crashes and they don't do anything about it. Just wait until 3.0 actually is released and a bunch of people come back. That's going to be fun.

Based on the observation of the queue, I am going out on a limb and say it is memory issue. Not that Eric is going to come out and say I am wrong! (see reverse psychology there)

All speculations...

The queue server is implemented to restrict logon based on the (virtual) server memory. That's why you see sometime there is a queue even when the server has low population and sometime the queue moves backward ... the memory usage goes up (even no extra people logon) and the server recalculates your queue position based on memory percentage.

The cause is probably combination of memory leak in the code, hardware issue, virtual resource balancing, high activity and lack of reboot. All servers would be susceptible to the problem but Harb is more vulnerable due to the extended period of high population and high activity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.