The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Don't Forget the White-Core Crystals, You Haven't Finished Them Yet!

idnewton

It seems by now the Cartel Market devs have moved away from the original white-core crystals of Star Wars, likely believing the best colors to have already been taken. However, this is not the case. Several crystals just from the two KotOR games as well as some others still have not been added.

Viridian, it's essentially a desaturated version of a standard green lightsaber, with a hue ever-so-slightly in the direction of yellow. Please keep in mind that as people have pointed out time and again, the green crystal in this game is not an accurate representation of the standard Star Wars green. If you're not going to fix that, at least this should satisfy those who want a less saturated green.

Silver, a color somewhere inbetween Silver-Blue, White, and White-Black. This lightsaber color is essentially just a very desaturated version of a blue lightsaber.

Orange, this lightsaber color is a bit of a cross between SWTOR's Orange and Blood-Red. The orange in this game isn't that orange, it's nearly yellow except with the slightest twinge of real orange near the tip. Blood red is closer, but it has a more defined gradient than the linked picture and shifts all the way from yellow to pale red. The linked picture is exactly what I think this lightsaber should look like. It would be, I imagine, very similar to the Charred Orange CM crystal, except with a white core.

Black, I don't believe this crystal has ever been used in the Star Wars universe before this game. This is not the Cartel Market's White-Black Crystal. There's a "Dread Guard Dominator" mob on the way to the Watchtower on Oricon who wields a double-bladed lightsaber with a black glow. I think that'd be pretty sick to be able to use, especially since it's already in the game.

• Dark Red, I don't have a picture of this crystal because I don't think it's ever been seen in Star Wars canon yet, but it'd essentially be a darker red saber with a white core. Suggested by Altheran

Commendations:

I do want to commend some of the crystals thus far.

• Hot Orange, allows players to use the famed Heart of the Guardian crystal in SWTOR, much appreciated.

• Copper, it may be much more gold than it is copper, but it still looks fantastic and it's a personal favorite of mine.

• Purple, the default original purple in SWTOR. Let's face it -- it looks sick.

Recommendation:

Aside from the crystals already mentioned, it's clear that, for whatever reason, there are two distinct types of lightsaber blade colors in SWTOR. If you take a look at this picture, you can see that some blades like Yellow, Green, Orange, Cyan and Magenta have very bright cores and the color glow is almost completely fused with the white core, rendering them nearly indistinguishable. Note that this only happens when bloom is enabled. Also note that the blades with the biggest 'color fusion' have the lightest blade colors.

If you look at the lightsabers from the movies, or the lightsabers from the KotORs, or the lightsabers from pretty much everywhere but SWTOR, you'll notice they have a very well-defined core and the lightsaber color, while definitely still present, takes a secondary role in the lightsaber blade's appearance. This is one of the biggest issues with SWTOR's Green lightsaber. The other problem is, the inner color of the glow is actually lime-green and bordering on yellow. I do like how that looks, but that's not a Green lightsaber. It doesn't look like that anywhere else in the Star Wars franchise.

If you want your lightsabers to look less like neon pipes and more like lightsabers, you'll take the advice. If nothing else, it'd still be great to see those crystal colors at the top of the post added (in future Cartel Packs, etc).

EDIT: After reading some of the following suggestions, especially those of Altheran, I think it may be a good idea to have a theme to the next line of crystals, as has been done in the past. While I'd love to see the above crystals put into the game, perhaps we could have a 'Gem' series that look like some of these. "Emerald, Tuormaline" looks nearly identical to the Mint Green already in the game, and "Sky Blue Topaz" is represented pretty well by the standard Cyan crystal in the game, but crystals like "Citrine, Amber" and "Rodolite" could be similar to the Gold and Intense Magenta mentioned by Altheran. I would also love to see the "Peridot, Chysolite" as a yellow-green colored crystal in the game (keep in mind all of these suggestions would have standard white cores).

Just a few more suggestions. Again, there are still many white-core sabers you can add!

Edited by idnewton

Yes I'd also want more white core crystals.

I'd personally like (parenthesis for comparison with pre-existing white core crystals)

Emerald (≠ Green - Mint Green)

Gold (≠ Yellow)

Silver (≠ White - Black)

Intense Magenta (≠ Magenta)

"New" Blood Red (≠ Red)

What is bogus, is that some of these EXIST on colored-core crystals : Emerald is on the Lime-Green, Gold is on the Gold core, Intense Magenta is on the pink magenta, Silver is on the Silver-blue... but they don't exist as a simple white core crystal.

Edited by Altheran

I would love to see a black core, white edge saber. If you ever played TFU or TFU 2 you will know what i'm talking about. DEVS PLEASE MAKE THIS!!!

Edit, like this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber_(lightsaber) just have it the shape of a regular lightsaber blade like this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y4ysXHp6AMA/TVYZC7watJI/AAAAAAAAFY0/HuDRfGRr8C0/s400/Black_Lightsaber_General_Starkiller.jpg

Edited by OrinVlado

Updated OP with a pic of the Black saber blade. Sorry it isn't the greatest, but the mob only draws it when in combat and I didn't care quite enough to look around Oricon to see if any mob has it out by default.

Also, yes, I am in favor of a darker Red crystal as well.

Updated OP with a pic of the Black saber blade. Sorry it isn't the greatest, but the mob only draws it when in combat and I didn't care quite enough to look around Oricon to see if any mob has it out by default.

Also, yes, I am in favor of a darker Red crystal as well.

It's already in game, you know...

Yes, the crystal is on the Elite NPCs near the watch tower, and it isn't White-Black. White-Black should be called White-Gray because that's what it is. This has a black glow, White-Black really just has a gray glow.

Sorry, i'm a bit confused :(

Which crystal do you want?

White with black core?

or

Black with white core?

Becouse we already have one with white core. And no matter how **** it looks, it IS a black crystal with white core.

P.S. When black'n'white first time appeared i was like - "YAY!!!! Finally!!! :cool:"

And when i actually saw them, i was like - "What in a name of burnining hell am i looking at???!!! :mad:"

Edited by Kingsbount

If it look like the one from the picture you might want to get that eyesight checked lol. The mob uses black with a white core. "White-Black" is gray with a white core.

Aye, sorry.

But again there's a crystal in CM that looks EXACTLY like on a picture.

Aaaand it indeed looks like *** :D

Aye, sorry.

But again there's a crystal in CM that looks EXACTLY like on a picture.

Aaaand it indeed looks like *** :D

*says sorry*

*ignores post and repeats inaccurate argument*

I didn't make that post because I wanted you to say 'sorry'. I made that post to convey a point, which is completely accurate and has been completely ignored. White-Black is not what the Dread Guard Dominator uses.

*says sorry*

*ignores post and repeats inaccurate argument*

I didn't make that post because I wanted you to say 'sorry'. I made that post to convey a point, which is completely accurate and has been completely ignored. White-Black is not what the Dread Guard Dominator uses.

And yet you completely ignore the fact that crystal you request is ALREADY in CM.

Here's your "definatly not from CM" crystal - http://i.imgur.com/aafNHxw.jpg

And here the one from CM - http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/swtor-white-black-color-crystal-no-bloom.jpg

You sould also keep in mind that Oricon lighting is offten change colours of crystals and dyes.

It's a FEATURE of this planet.

If you will stii insist that this this crystal is white/gray, then i have nothing to do but wish you luck in your "quest" :rolleyes:

And yet you completely ignore the fact that crystal you request is ALREADY in CM.

Here's your "definatly not from CM" crystal - http://i.imgur.com/aafNHxw.jpg

And here the one from CM - http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/swtor-white-black-color-crystal-no-bloom.jpg

You sould also keep in mind that Oricon lighting is offten change colours of crystals and dyes.

It's a FEATURE of this planet.

If you will stii insist that this this crystal is white/gray, then i have nothing to do but wish you luck in your "quest" :rolleyes:

A solid example of your illiterate refusal to admit you're wrong.

I should've asked you to get your eyes checked.

Oh wait, I did.

Edit: Just went to Oricon, took pics of both sabers, they're completely different. Uploading now. Hopefully when you discover how completely wrong you are, we can put an end to this stupid and pointless argument.

Edited by idnewton

A solid example of your illiterate refusal to admit you're wrong.

I should've asked you to get your eyes checked.

Oh wait, I did.

Edit: Just went to Oricon, took pics of both sabers, they're completely different. Uploading now. Hopefully when you discover how completely wrong you are, we can put an end to this stupid and pointless argument.

Dude, the only one who refuses to face truth is you.

Oh... So i guess BW was so wrong about calling them BLACK AND WHITE crystals...

But you are definatly know everything better than game developers, eh?

Oh... Wait... YOU DON'T.

Or devs was so "evil" to their custumers so they put "real" black and white crystal into mobs weapon?

The only so called proof on your side is a screeshot of mob.

On my side i have a few little things:

1. Screenshots of BLACK AND WHITE crystal from a trusted site.

2. Bioware, who released BLACK AND WHITE crystals.

3. I have a crystal on my characters lightsaber. And it's name... WHITE AND BLACK! (oh no!! Its not white/gray!!)

Now you can go back to your pointess arguments ;)

I am going to put an end to this once and for all.

This is a screenshot of the colors given by a Black-Red Level 50 crystal.

The color code of the 'Black' portion is #000000

This is a screenshot of the colors given by a White-Black Cartel Market crystal.

The color code of the 'Black' portion is #171614

This discussion is now over. You have one chance to admit that you're wrong and move on, or else you will be ignored, blacklisted as a retard, and removed by Customer Support.

We both know you're wrong, as all of the evidence points to. I'm simply giving you the opportunity to be a man and admit it. Take it or leave it.

Edited by idnewton

Alright, now that we're back on track, I updated the OP to include a number of new ideas, specifically some of the ones mentioned by Altheran. While I like the idea of the Emerald Green you mentioned, I think it's more important for Bioware to simply fix the default Green they have than make a new crystal of it.

Also, OrinVlado and Alec_Fortescue, according to the rumors I've heard, this crystal is apparently in the game, but it's only given to retired BW employees who worked on the game. I'm not sure if there's ever been an official word on it, though. However, considering that all of the Black-core crystals were probably inspired by the original Black-White crystal, I'm very confident the devs are aware of the crystal. Whether the playerbase as a whole ever gets access to it is another question entirely.

Also, I wanted to bring up one last point, regarding the color-core crystals already in the game (and those to come). As a die-hard Star Wars fan, those simply don't look like lightsabers. HOWEVER! I do want to point out that they still have a use! While they may not look like lightsabers, they still work very well when put into swords, as it gives the sword a unique trail color.

Alright, now that we're back on track, I updated the OP to include a number of new ideas, specifically some of the ones mentioned by Altheran. While I like the idea of the Emerald Green you mentioned, I think it's more important for Bioware to simply fix the default Green they have than make a new crystal of it.

Also, OrinVlado and Alec_Fortescue, according to the rumors I've heard, this crystal is apparently in the game, but it's only given to retired BW employees who worked on the game. I'm not sure if there's ever been an official word on it, though. However, considering that all of the Black-core crystals were probably inspired by the original Black-White crystal, I'm very confident the devs are aware of the crystal. Whether the playerbase as a whole ever gets access to it is another question entirely.

Also, I wanted to bring up one last point, regarding the color-core crystals already in the game (and those to come). As a die-hard Star Wars fan, those simply don't look like lightsabers. HOWEVER! I do want to point out that they still have a use! While they may not look like lightsabers, they still work very well when put into swords, as it gives the sword a unique trail color.

wow really?? I have never heard that before, or seen one. Regardless i do hope they make those reality...cuz dang they look awesome

wow really?? I have never heard that before, or seen one. Regardless i do hope they make those reality...cuz dang they look awesome

I've never personally seen it, but I did some looking around the net a while back trying to see if there was a way to get one. It really would be a nice addition.

Edited by idnewton

There's even been speculation of a Black-Cyan existing in the game since 1.4 or before, but only from one video Bioware put out. Here's a pic. Link

PS: I've never seen this crystal ingame though, or even anyone seeing they saw it. It might just be BW trying to make a cool picture rather than anything we can obtain... it can't have been obtainable through the chain of Secret Bosses at the time because SnV wasn't out at the time. It could still come from the end of the chain, but it couldn't have been available at that time.

Edited by idnewton

• 2 weeks later...

There are sooooooo many crystal colors they could add, I don't know what's holding them back. The more options they provide to players, the more "unique" a person can become. I can't imagine it takes very long to play with the hue/saturation/brightness etc and save it in crystal form.

I personally think we should be allowed to make our own colors. There should be a station in-game where you can bring materials to craft your own crystal (that way you can put the stat on it that you want) and have a UI-element with saturation/brightness/hue etc for the core/glow that allows you to make whatever color you could ever want. This would be a wonderful idea and they could even charge cartel coins to use it! It would save them time on ever having to create more crystals in the future but would in no way prevent them from still getting people to pay cartel coins.