Transfering Post Strongholds - Better FAQ Needed / Hosed if you Paid with Credits

DawnAskham

After unlocking all four strongholds with credits, and unlocking all legacy storage bays with credits, I transferred a character to another server, something I have done several times in the past.

My expectations, based on all my previous transfers and any information I could find, were that strongholds and anything unlocked / achievements earned at the legacy level would transfer, as would any character specific unlocks.

Upon arrival at the destination server, I found ALL of my existing pre-stronghold legacy unlocks available, including ones bought with credits, with CC, and earned through achievements (class buffs / companion bonuses). These were also available to any alts I made on the new server.

However, while all of my decorations were showing in my collection, none of my strongholds (besides the free NS) were showing as unlocked and none of the legacy cargo bays were unlocked.

I submitted a ticket and the first response was:

"I am happy to confirm that your Stronghold isn't lost after transferring to another server, for your information when you transfer your character to another server your Stronghold gets transferred with you but in a Deactivated state. In order to regain access to your Stronghold you will need to reactivate them, once reactivated it can be used as normal."

Nothing regarding missing legacy storage bay nor details on how to reactivate was included.

I went to the terminals in Fleet, and the only line available to 'reactivate' was to pay credits in the same amount as the original purchase, or to pay again using CC.

Further digging found information scattered around from dev comments stating reactivation would be free if CC was originally used, though stating the only reason a stronghold would be deactivated would be if a player needed to deactivate an existing stronghold to be able to purchase a new stronghold and stay below the four stronghold limit.

NOTHING was mentioned about Bioware automatically deactivating strongholds as part of a transfer.

See: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7534157#edit7534157

Submitted a second ticket trying to get my transferred strongholds activated as I felt they should NOT be deactivated AND require repayment as part of a transfer (paid service) and received the following response:

"...As such I would like to advise that the free reactivation cost is only for strongholds purchased initially with cartel coins. If you purchased your Tatooine Stronghold with cartel coins then there should not be a re-activation cost when you transfer servers. However if you unlocked the Tatooine stronghold with credits then you will need to pay to re-activate this on another server should you transfer. All rooms and decorations will remain despite the re-activation and it is only the initial re-activation that will have a cost in these cases. Purchasing with cartel coins should remove this issue.

As for the legacy cargo bay unlocks, again if the account wide unlocks are purchased with cartel coins then they are unlocked account wide and will transfer across your legacy on each server. However if these are unlocked with credits then they will only be unlocked on the legacy and server that purchased them and will not transfer account wide."

So it appears that IF you transfer and have strongholds and IF you bought your strongholds with credits, you WILL have to pay again to have access as Bioware will set them to a deactivated state and WILL NOT do anything to assist other than tell you to pay again.

This information should be clear and included as part of the transfer FAQ as well as made clear when purchasing (e.g. - 'Your stronghold will be set to deactivated should you transfer, and will require re-payment if originally purchased with credits").

NOT disclosing this as part of the initial purchase or as part of the transfer FAQ is disingenuous and looks like little more than an attempt to try and grab more RL money for CC on top of the fees paid for transferring.

Edited by DawnAskham

There's a server transfer FAQ?

Many things on the website are in need of updating, so a more general warning is probably in order regarding how new features interact with older systems. Any information you find on swtor.com regarding systems that were previously in place may be out of date.

There's a server transfer FAQ?

Many things on the website are in need of updating, so a more general warning is probably in order regarding how new features interact with older systems. Any information you find on swtor.com regarding systems that were previously in place may be out of date.

It is hard to find, and woefully outdated - but it does exist.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/5268

Hmm some good information here to keep in mind, just in case.

If we only have to pay reactivation for the initial room after a transfer, and the single reactivation fee covers all nine rooms (rather than having to pay to unlock them individually again), then:

1) Coruscant and DK stronghold reactivation costs are trivial.

2) Nar Shaddaa should automatically unlock because I got the first five rooms free as part of the subscriber perk.

3) I need to seriously consider unlocking subsequent strongholds with cartel coins, as Tatooine (and no doubt subsequent strongholds post-expansion) are significantly more expensive when unlocked with credits.

It definitely sucks that you are at number 3, and I hope Bioware does edit the FAQs to make them clearer. Thanks for the heads up for the rest of us.

• 4 weeks later...

Do your items in your legacy stronghold bays transfer over to new server or do you arrive and the bays are all empty?

I bought the Dromand Kaas unlock on the fleet with credits and need to do a character transfer with the Legacy bays full of mats.

Thanks in advance if someone knows this,

Do your items in your legacy stronghold bays transfer over to new server or do you arrive and the bays are all empty?

I bought the Dromand Kaas unlock on the fleet with credits and need to do a character transfer with the Legacy bays full of mats.

Thanks in advance if someone knows this,

NO.

The contents of legacy storage does not transfer. You will need to fill your personal storage with the mats you want to transfer with you.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.