The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Choosing Between Shadow and Scoundrel

elyaas

Hi folks!

After researching some threads like this, I realized I am not sure if I'm getting a full view of the subject due to the fact that most of the other threads are mostly over a year old.

I have been playing rogue type classes since I started playing MMOs and both of these classes have my thorough interest. My Shadow (level 54...leveled at launch) is a lot of fun, but keeping track of the buffs is sort-of getting under my skin, though, I can see it's sort-of easy to track in your mind, as long as RNG is in your favor.

My Scoundrel (level 34...leveling currently) is a lot of fun as well, but I am somewhat concerned that Scrapper isn't doing well DPS wise. I like the playstyle for the most part, and feel like a total ****** while running around, but I am slightly concerned over the late game viability (though I have seen a ton of comments around on the forums saying that around 2.6? the Scoundrels got a major buff). The thing is, I am not as interested in that tree on the far right (Dirty Fighting?). Or maybe that is a perceived un-interest as I haven't tried it.

Do you folks have any thoughts on comparisons between the two classes for late-game? I am going to level both, but your input would help on what I should focus on. I do not have as much interest in PVP, so I will be mostly PVEing (DPS on both), but I have been known to binge on warzones and whatnot here and there.

Thanks!

As I understand it, Scrappers are in the top tier of DPS specs. So are Balance Shadows, but it seems like you are not interested in DoT specs.

Is Balance a DoT spec? I've been playing infiltration on my Shadow and it's the one I like the most. I played balance once or twice back in the day but wasn't too fond of it.

If it is DoT based, I don't necessarily hate it, but it's not my favorite.

It's nice to hear that Scrappers are top tier at the moment. It's the class I have been focusing on while I just do Section X dalies each day on my Shadow.

Balance is indeed a DoT spec. Infiltration is more burst damage, which can be useful in some fights but is a good chunk lower in terms of DPS than Balance.

If you like Scrapper then stick with that and wait to see it when you get up to the higher tiers/gear to really assess its damage. You don't really have your full kit yet in terms of skill tree so you aren't going to be seeing the full potential. The full Scrapper rotation is also a bit harder than the Dirty Fighting rotation, but it does parse better in terms of DPS and performs quite well in endgame, so if you're up to the task of keeping on top of it while also paying attention to fight mechanics then you should keep playing as a Scrapper.