The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best Star Wars Books (And Books about Mandalorians)

paxaman

Well alright, I can respect that. What exactly did you enjoy most about it? (curiosity)

I liked the whole thing, but the "I am Revan Reborn, and before me you are NOTHING" scene was just so awesome for me.

But my favorite thing was probably Meetra (Yes, i actually liked her) Or Lord Scourge.

I don't own many Star Wars novels.

I have all of the Essential Guides To Star Wars books which bring together the movies, novels, comics, together pretty well to give me a more complete view of the Star Wars EU.

I own "Revan." I thought Drew Karpyshyn linked the KoTOR games together pretty well. It was awesome imagining Revan and Meetra Surik together. I never knew her name until then. Sources confirmed Revan was always a male and Surik a female. I liked how the book linked to SWTOR.

I never thought of Revan or Meetra Surik as invincible gods. I am not a fan because I played them in video games. I enjoyed the stories that the games told. I played through them to reveal as much information and story as I humanly could. The characters, though highly intelligent and powerful, were fallible beings. Please don't lump me in the "Fanboi" category or assume I am a fan for whatever reasons you come up with. I am a fan of Revan and of "The Exile" because the stories in the games were well written and kept me playing for many years.

I write as a hobby, not as a career, so I enjoy a good riveting novel, or movie. I enjoy the stories if they are well told.

I also have the "Book of Sith" and "The Jedi Path." I enjoyed those quite a bit. I really want to buy the Darth Plageuis

novel.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
spelling, grammar, more info

Never played KOTOR, but in my opinion Reven is fantastic. It is the most literary of the three, I would say (as in a lot of internal conflict rather than external conflict)

I think that the XWING series is the best written by far and also has the unique position of being the only series without a lot of Jedi. Until I got into SWTOR, I never really liked Jedi all that much. I also love the fact that some of the scenes (particularly in the first book) draw on XWING games, which I played....

The Darth Bane series was great and fun too!!!!

I hated the ending though, thought it was kind of lame.

EU books are written for a wide audience and shouldn't be considered high literature but someof them can be interesting, fun reads.

I think my favorite was probably 'I, Jedi" as Corran Horn was one of my favorite EU characters. Most stuff by Zahn is pretty good but the latest one he put out "Scoundrels" I found to be pretty awful IMHO.

I haven't read a ton of Star Wars books but I accidentally stumbled upon the Han Solo Trilogy in my younger years and I'm glad that I did. It's a 3 book set by A.C. Crispin - The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn. They provide some back story and span all the way up to moments before meeting Luke and Obi-Wan. They are definitely a good read.:csw_falcon:

Opinions differ, I suppose. I absolutely loved the fact that it made Star Wars a bit darker, grey and that it was (still is) the only time the enemy wasn't Imperial/Sith. The character development was superb, I thought and the best part was the fact there wasn't anymore "main character invincibility" (Luke being in serious trouble, the Falcon barely escaping and the Solo kids getting captured did get a bit boring after a while)

But I am curious, you said you read until book six or seven...

What do you mean with they get beat down again and again? In my opinon, there are only three really dark points in the entire series, those being the death of Chewbacca, the death of Anakin Solo, and the fall of Coruscant. And those last two happen in book nine. I never once had the impression that everything was hopeless. Not trying to attack you or anything, I'm just legitimately curious ;)

This. If you stop at book six or seven, you miss the best part of the series.

Things do begin looking up starting with the Enemy Lines duology but even more in Destiny's Way. And if you have never read Traitor by Matthew Stover you are doing yourself and the series a massive injustice. It is one of the best Star Wars books ever, and one of the few SW books that I'd also consider a literary masterpiece even if it wasn't a SW book. And The Unifying Force, the series finale, is also considered one of the best SW books ever written.