Healer woe

Punkadelic

Hey,

I recently returned to SWTOR and started playing my Corruption Sorcerror and am really struggling with her, she just doesn't seem to heal enough, I can barely keep Khem Val alive when questing solo, it's ok against small groups of normal npcs' but as soon as I go up against any higher grade tougher ones I am getting wasted.

This is exactly the reason that I took a break from SWTOR a while back.

Surely it isn't meant to be ridiculously tough questing, it seems to have gotten harder and harder the higher level she gets, she is 32 right now, and I am frustrated as Hell with her.

Her gear is average I suppose but mostly blues and around her level.

She is in Alderaan now so fighting mobs two levels or so lower then her, yet she dies all the time.

I have played healer classes before, mostly ijn WoW, and Rift, but NEVER struggled like this with any of them.

Is it normal to find questing stupidly tough with healer classes in this game?

Healing isn't that great at low levels because of high Force costs. They get better as you progress when you get traits to buff them.

Your best bet is probably just breezing through PvE as DPS and healing later on.

You can dismiss companion and re-call to heal them to full. Mounting also works.

I have a sorcerer healer and I am doing fine. I am using Andronikos though. I am level 32 and all my gear is modable and blue quality (I make my own mods). I also have blue earpieces and blue implants. I have played a sage healer before so I was able to remember how to use this one. My companion's gear is updated as well with blue mods and blue earpieces and blue implants as well.

The only thing I normally do is send my companion in and place the bubble around him and me before the fight.

The fights are a bit tougher in Alderaan but from my recollection they were tougher even on my sage and shadow.

Two cases:

Maybe you dislike healing?

Maybe you dislike healing as a sorc?

Really, have you tried other healers? Operative and bh(ok BH would be VERY sucky because you get your first tank around 40 and mdps around 35 O.o)?

Plus, companion tanks aren't really meant for attrition warfare. They are here not to soak dmg, but to soak aggro. See, beside aggro generation, there is no special difference in survivability of a mdps and a tank companion. We have been trying to revert tanks back so their Def.stance gave bonus armour(at least) just like player's stance. They don't want to hear it tho. I can personally vouch for mdps comps:

Today I decided to do a planet in act III(won't spoil even a name). I was 2 levels below the recommended level for the first quest(40 instead of 42). Everything was orange. I sent my mdps in and it knocked few mobs away. It proceeded to pummel them and accidentally aggroed a patrolling strong mob and another pack of mobs. That's 2 strongs and 4 normals for you. Every one of them being at least 2 levels above. Not only did we survive(I was a Healer), but it was one of the best experiences in TOR I had to date! It was smuggler healing btw.

But I can't play a healing sage/sorc as well. When I better think, I can't play those classes, period. They just bore me to tears and beyond. Shads and Sins, otoh, :D .

TLDR:

Companion tanks suck

Try another class and its healing

Try Lightning spec(unlimited...you get it ;) )

Try an Assassin

Edit: Come over to my thread in the NPH(new player help) and I'll sort you out. You'll see it right away. It's named "need help choosing your class". Answer honestly.

Edited by Cuiwe

Thanks a lot for the advice, I have a sage healer aswell but I have struggled a bit with her too so maybe it's just me doing it wrong hehe.

I admit I HAVE been relying on the tank companions to take the damage and if they aren't so good at that, then there might be my problem.

I'll try again with a dps companion and see how that pans out :cool:

I'd go with Field Respec and flashpoints as a non-dps. I've levelled numerous classes to level 55, and the difference between a solo dps in PvE and a tank/healer is staggering - dps have much, much easier time. So, when I finally started levelling a healer, I levelled her via flashpoints and afterwards just breezed through class quests afterwards when they were deep in the green(and I was fully geared).

So there're three ways:

- continue struggling with a dps comp as a healer solo;

- level your healer through flashpoints and only do class quests;

- field respec: pay 200k once, respec dps/heal whenever you want(and since you're level 32, that Force Storm is coming soon!)

I rolled a Sorcerer, quite some time ago, with the intention of making him a healer, but in the end I found myself not able to keep up, no matter guides and such. :( In the end, I respeeced to Lightning, and I find myself fine, since then I started enjoying the gameplay, and not only the character. :)

I heal just fine on my Mercenary though, so it's not a role issue. I basically tank mobs myself, but no big deal, especially since my first comp was a healer, so I could overlook my healing a bit while dpsing as healer. :D

I suggest you to think of how you feel on that character. If you're not comfortable, a respec could help, as it did for me. There are three different healing classes, and all work different, so it's not like you're forced to heal on a Sorcerer... ;)

Interesting. My Sage Healer had a much easier time of it on Alderaan than my DPS Jedi Knight originally did. She almost always uses the tank companion, concentrating on keeping him healed and throwing out a bit of damage in between when possible.

She must be the character of mine that has died the least (I think she has only ever died in flashpoints, when mobbed by adds), in fact it very rarely feels like she is in any real danger at all.

I suppose having all the buffs and a hefty presence bonus now probably helps quite a bit, but I have always found her very easy to play while levelling. I would say "keep at it, and don't be disheartened" but if you are really not enjoying yourself then perhaps respeccing to DPS for a while might actually be a good plan.

Hey,

I recently returned to SWTOR and started playing my Corruption Sorcerror and am really struggling with her, she just doesn't seem to heal enough, I can barely keep Khem Val alive when questing solo, it's ok against small groups of normal npcs' but as soon as I go up against any higher grade tougher ones I am getting wasted.

This is exactly the reason that I took a break from SWTOR a while back.

Surely it isn't meant to be ridiculously tough questing, it seems to have gotten harder and harder the higher level she gets, she is 32 right now, and I am frustrated as Hell with her.

Her gear is average I suppose but mostly blues and around her level.

She is in Alderaan now so fighting mobs two levels or so lower then her, yet she dies all the time.

I have played healer classes before, mostly ijn WoW, and Rift, but NEVER struggled like this with any of them.

Is it normal to find questing stupidly tough with healer classes in this game?

I'm assuming this is your first character?

Anyway starting at level 30 tends to be more of an endurance test. You wind up chapter one of your class story after you end Alderaan and will face your toughest fight so far. It's best, if at all possible to be over-leveled and over geared before you leave Alderaan.

It may sound like a silly question, but you'd be surprised the number of people equip the wrong stats. Are you wearing only Willpower gear? Is your companion wearing Strength gear?

How are you managing Khem's attacks? Do you have his abilities turned on? Click the "~" key to expand his tool bar and make sure he's using his abilities. And make sure he is attacking the weakest mobs first. Kill them quickly so they stop dishing out damage and the silver/elite will be easier to finish.

Use your lift to CC the stronger mobs. (be sure to disable Khem's AOEs so he doesn't break your CC prematurely)

And lastly, run a few KDY's to boost your level. If you aren't sure your doing it right, ask group members for advice. Personally I'd rather group with a "newb" who asks for help than a scrub who causes wipes and won't listen.

(Pro-tip) DO NOT use force wave to kick mobs in KDY. If they go over the edge they tend to either glitch and cause issues, or you could kick them off a ledge into other groups and agro the whole room.

...She must be the character of mine that has died the least (I think she has only ever died in flashpoints, when mobbed by adds), in fact it very rarely feels like she is in any real danger at all.

ditto here. I've never felt in any danger on my sage/sorc either and it would take a lot to get those chars into trouble. Each uses the respective tank companion - either Qyzen or Kehm Val.

Make sure your gear is proper spec - willpower. And that your companion's gear is proper spec and relatively relatively current level too. Make sure your skills are trained. Respect the kill order, and always use CC.

Hey,

Well I tried using Andronikas and found it a lot easier with him.

I find with trying to use Khem Val tanking the mobs, I am spending all my time trying, and failing often, to keep him alive and am only able to throw in the odd damage spell, I guess that if he isn't really meant to tank like that I would struggle.

With Andronikas I am mostly dishing out damage, and this works much better so far.

Yes I am concentrating on willpower gear, and strength for Khem, but I admit his gear isn't up to par as much as my characters' It's not THAT bad though.

I haven't been using Whirlwind, that is a bad that I need to correct.

Anyway, armed with your very welcome advice, and a bit more practice, I hope to crack it ;)

Hey,

Well I tried using Andronikas and found it a lot easier with him.

I find with trying to use Khem Val tanking the mobs, I am spending all my time trying, and failing often, to keep him alive and am only able to throw in the odd damage spell, I guess that if he isn't really meant to tank like that I would struggle.

With Andronikas I am mostly dishing out damage, and this works much better so far.

Yes I am concentrating on willpower gear, and strength for Khem, but I admit his gear isn't up to par as much as my characters' It's not THAT bad though.

I haven't been using Whirlwind, that is a bad that I need to correct.

Anyway, armed with your very welcome advice, and a bit more practice, I hope to crack it ;)

I was correct yet again. You aren't looking for a Healing build(ok maybe you are for groups and the like). You are looking for a Lightning build. It has stronger static shield, very nice AoE etc.

I'd encourage you to try Healing when you get your mdps. Won't be waiting too long-it's the next comp you get! Then and only then will you make up your mind. That's my hunch anyhow.