The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Playable Races] Humanoid Races

I'm a race advocate for most mmos, the more variety I think the better. I geek out when I'm running around and I see people playing anything other than human, even if they only have blue or green or red skin, or horns coming out of their heads. One thing about this game I don't understand is how long it took for the Cathar to be released, and yet no others have come after them still. The reason I feel this way being that all the humanoid races are essentially human with some alterations for example the Mirialan, which are green skinned humans with tattoos, Chiss, which are blue skinned humans with red glowing eyes, Miraluka ie blind humans, Zabrak ie humans with face tattoos and horns, Sith who are red skin people with terribly untreated acne (heh heh I love them though), Cathar, the yiff humans then there are Twileks.

One thing that I to this day I still don't get are why cyborgs are an individual race. I honestly think they are a wasted race slot, my reasoning on this being, is that cybernetics aren't limited to humans alone, on top of the fact that cyborgs have the second least amount of unique face options compared to all of the others, Sith being first, Twilek being second tied with cyborg. They could have just made cybernetics an option to all of the races. So before I make my suggestions, here is one thing that I suggest first. Add more of the Human/Mirialan/Chiss/Miraluka faces to the Twilek as an option as well as to the cyborgs, and give other races the option for cybernetics.

Now here are the races I suggest:

Togruta - From just seeing in game, it wouldn't be too much work to add these guys in since they are already have enough character models. I also think they are such a beautiful unique race.

Voss - These guys are visually stunning to me, the array of colors and their glowing blue or red eyes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them and play multiple classes as one. I think they should hava a hair option because most of them I see are bald, but I don't know the complete lore on them and if it's been stated that not one has ever had hair.

Chagrian - We have green, we have blue, we have red, you can make some yellow, you can make some orange, why not add purple already! Yay we have all primary and secondary colors now! I am also just bias for races with any unique head features such as horns and tentacles. And they have a unique version themselves.

Devaronian - I like the Twilek tentacles and the Zabrak horns, but these guys have the sick hellboy devil horns going on and if I saw a sith Devaronian charging at me from the opposite side, I might just let him slay me for their complete epicness. They would just fit so well on the darkside and even on the light side it would be fun to see. Like what I said with the Voss, I think they should have a full hair option with horns poking out.

I could go on longer about other races I like, but I don't think that the games needs to have EVERY possible race as there are too many to account for. But in my opinion I think that these four would make it feel much more complete just from what I've seen in game.

I also think that if those 4 races were to be released, they should have all the face options that the Humans, Chiss, Miraluka and Mirialan have, as well as a couple unique ones for each.

Well those are my two cents, let me know what you think. I appreciate any thoughts, responses and feedback.

I'm crossing my fingers for the Togruta, but the major problem they will have there is clipping. Twi'leks have issues as it is, so I think they're hesitant to release another species that will have players complaining on that front. However, it seems like one of the most viable options because they've got Ashara already, plus lots of very different-looking Togruta NPCs in the game.

I think the Voss would be pretty simple to implement looks-wise, but the lore issue would have to be addressed. They would probably have to record several alternate dialogue options for when players arrive on Voss, to reflect that even if their parents may have been Voss, they're still an "outsider" because they didn't grow up there, or something. Maybe your character doesn't know where their parents came from or something (since you've never even heard of Voss). They'd also have to modify the PC voices to have that overtone the Voss have, but I don't think that'd be such a big deal; they already do it with helmets.

Chagrians run into the same problem as the Togruta, that is, clipping, but I think the Togruta are more likely to happen because they already have so many more customization options in-game.

Devaronians would be awesome, but there is a huge difference looks-wise between males and females. I don't know that I've ever run across a female Devaronian in-game. Females either have no horns at all, or they're much less pronounced. This means they would have a lot of code to write to put females into the game at all, plus having to deal with clipping once again in relation to hoods and headgear.

TL;DR

Togruta have clipping issues, Voss have lore issues, Chagrians have clipping issues, Devaronians have a lot of issues. :rolleyes:

All in all, I'm hoping for the Togruta next, or the Voss if they can figure out the lore. I'd put Devaronians at the bottom of the feasibility list even though I agree they would be awesome to play.

Personally I'm hoping for Togruta to be next. I find any clipping issues minor on Twi'leks and don't use helms on them anyways.

Devaronians would make for a neat race to play as but the females. They would take some work to create as there are none in game. Especially since they look nothing like the males.

Voss...meh. They do nothing for me but I can see if others would want to make them. Be odd to add as they don't seem to be found anywhere really. Have to make some weird back story to explain them off Voss.

Edited by Vyerix

• 3 weeks later...

All the races here I think would make great additions to the game, especially the Chagrians and the Devaronians. Chagrian Sage? Yes please.

Oh and if they do add any of those, while they're at it can they please also add Muuns?